DME Will I gave a problem using mine on Princess Ships

I have just found out I will need to use either a knee scooter or manual wheelchair during our Sun Princess  cruise this Sept.

We have a mini suite booked.  If you have experience using these DME items please share the concerns I need to consider. I will be able to walk short distances.  Thank you,

Joyce

You won't have a problem using it around the ship.  But, unless you have an accessible cabin, it might be difficult to get it into your cabin, you cannot leave them in the hall.  A knee scooter would be better.   

Mini suites have a tub/shower in the bathroom. Will this be an issue for you?

Try to get an accessible mini suite for a roll in/rollout shower with a bench seat.

Be sure to request a shower stool.  You might be able to adjust it to fit half in/out of the tub to have an easier access into the tub/shower.  One of my (many) OT sessions was teaching me how to scoot into the shower.  One foot at a time while sliding across the shower stool.  I had bilateral knee surgery.  

A normal wheelchair will not fit through the door. If it's a collapsible wheelchair, if someone can carry it through the door into the hall, and if you can walk the short distance through the door to the wheelchair in the hall, then you should have no problem.

Princess provides the following information about mobility devices: "Mobility devices of any kind, like other items, may not be left outside the stateroom. Please be sure that your mobility equipment is no wider than 22" if booked in a standard cabin or no wider than 31" if booked in an accessible cabin." If it will be taken through the door collapsed, then these limitations would apply to the collapsed wheelchair.

The shower in tub in a mini could be a problem. Even before DW used a wheelchair, we did not book mini-suites for that reason - we booked either ocean view, balcony, or full suites.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Do you need to inform Princess that you are bringing on a DME?  I thought I read that somewhere.  

Yes. See this FAQ. It also gives the restrictions I quoted above.

Edited by NavyVeteran

Will you be able to put any weight on that leg at all? A knee scooter would be easiest to fit in your cabin but you’ll still need to be able to walk a bit to get around. There is no way a knee scooter will work inside your cabin…they are not good at making sharp turns. Crutches perhaps?

2 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

Mini suites have a tub/shower in the bathroom. Will this be an issue for you?

Try to get an accessible mini suite for a roll in/rollout shower with a bench seat.

Sun Princess (and Star) mini-suites do NOT have a bathtub/shower combo.

No bathtub at all until you reach a full suite - and even then, has to be higher than an S9 suite (S9 is essentially a mini with suite perks).

Mini-suites in Sun/Star are spacious walk-in showers with glass shower doors..

There is the standard stop up into the bathroom itself...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had to use a knee scooter on our last cruise. We were on the Regal in a balcony cabin. Not much room but it was fine. I could use it to get to the bathroom and the balcony (I wasn't able to put weight on my foot at all). It didn't fit between the bed and the closet wall so I had to sleep on the other side of the bed. It was a life saver for getting around on the ship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisinsince75 said:

Check with Princess and see if they have any accessible Mini-Suites they can move you to if going the wheelchair route or if you need a shower instead of a shower/tub combo.

Check post #9.  EM

My husband had to use a knee scooter on one of our cruises.  Getting around the ship was fine, but the elevators were extremely problematic during peak times.  We sometimes had to wait for 3-4 elevators before one would come that wasn't already full.  Pro-tip.  Go the opposite direction of main traffic to get on the elevator then ride it to where you want to go.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

My husband had to use a knee scooter on one of our cruises.  Getting around the ship was fine, but the elevators were extremely problematic during peak times.  We sometimes had to wait for 3-4 elevators before one would come that wasn't already full.  Pro-tip.  Go the opposite direction of main traffic to get on the elevator then ride it to where you want to go.

Fortunately, Sun has an entirely different elevator system. It's On Demand.

You choose the deck you want to go to, along with the accessible button and the panel tells you which elevator.to go to for the quickest route..  there's no buttons inside the the elevator for people to push and override..  very very helpful and speedy, especially for those with mobility challenges. No more of people rushing in front of you, cutting you off, etc. You can position yourself right in front of the appropriate elevator and you're all set. Just remember to push the deck number as many times as people in your party! IE 2 people in your party, hit the accessible button, the your deck twice..voila - "elevator D" is your best option, go to D and wait..Sun is a whole different kettle of fish... 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Fortunately, Sun has an entirely different elevator system. It's On Demand.

You choose the deck you want to go to, along with the accessible button and the panel tells you which elevator.to go to for the quickest route..  there's no buttons inside the the elevator for people to push and override..  very very helpful and speedy, especially for those with mobility challenges. No more of people rushing in front of you, cutting you off, etc. You can position yourself right in front of the appropriate elevator and you're all set. Just remember to push the deck number as many times as people in your party! IE 2 people in your party, hit the accessible button, the your deck twice..voila - "elevator D" is your best option, go to D and wait..Sun is a whole different kettle of fish... 

That's fantastic for people with mobility devices!