Italian restaurant comparison

For those of you who have sailed on different ship classes:

How does Il Viaggio compare to Cucina del Capitano?

We're trying to decide if we should book the Italian specialty restaurant on the Venezia or not.

18 minutes ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

For those of you who have sailed on different ship classes:

How does Il Viaggio compare to Cucina del Capitano?

We're trying to decide if we should book the Italian specialty restaurant on the Venezia or not.

I really liked Il Viaggio.  It is more Northern Italian in cuisine, so there will be fewer red sauce dishes. The vibe is more upscale than Cuchina del Capitano.

I saw a post recently where someone complained that it wasn't a "real" Italian restaurant because there is no spaghetti and meatballs or lasagna on the menu.  If that is your idea of Italian, you may be disappointed in Il Viaggio.

Here is a link to the menu:

https://www.carnival.com/-/media/images/explore/dining/menus/il-viaggio-menu.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I really liked Il Viaggio.  It is more Northern Italian in cuisine, so there will be fewer red sauce dishes. The vibe is more upscale than Cuchina del Capitano.

I saw a post recently where someone complained that it wasn't a "real" Italian restaurant because there is no spaghetti and meatballs or lasagna on the menu.  If that is your idea of Italian, you may be disappointed in Il Viaggio.

Here is a link to the menu:

https://www.carnival.com/-/media/images/explore/dining/menus/il-viaggio-menu.pdf

We agree, and we also like Cucina. 😎

• Like 4

yes, you should try it.

viaggio is special, only avail on 2 ships.

fyi there are only 2 pasta entrees on the menu (hinting it's not your typical italian american food)

• Thanks 1

I have been to the Italian restaurants on the Magic, NCL and Holland America ships. 

The Il Viaggio is the best IMHO. 

• Like 1

We just ate at Il Viaggio last week.  It was by far our favorite meal on the ship.  I actually felt ill when we left there because I was so full.  The portions are large, and the service was impeccable.  I liked it so much better than Cucina.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Jeafl said:

We just ate at Il Viaggio last week.  It was by far our favorite meal on the ship.  I actually felt ill when we left there because I was so full.  The portions are large, and the service was impeccable.  I liked it so much better than Cucina.

I can echo this sentiment. Il Viaggio was excellent on Firenze. I can generally eat everything you put in front of me but I could not finish my dish. Of course I needed to save room for desert. The gelato cake was amazing but the tiramisu was....a bummer.

*Pro tip, don't fill up on the amazing bread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

They're totally different. I got a few minutes of Emeril talking Il Viaggio on Venezia.

His addtiion to the team is a significant add.  Love the Emeril additions to the MDR,

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2

We liked Il Viaggio as well.   We were on the May 27 Venezia.  Hubby had the chicken and he keeps talking about it, I had the scampi, also very good.  The burrata starter was huge!  

PM