Vow Renewal Surprise

My parents and other family members are joining us for a cruise in a few weeks, and it will be my parents anniversary during the cruise. My dad wants to surprise my mom with a vow renewal ceremony. Both myself and my TA have been trying to get information on how to book and keep it a surprise for my mom. The only thing I can think to do is book it under my reservation and payment and then show up with them. Does anyone know if that would be an issue or have any other ideas?

1 hour ago, bookgirl1384 said:

My dad wants to surprise my mom with a vow renewal ceremony. 

45 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Not a good idea. Might backfire 

I don't tend to agree much with zqvol, but, oh my. Vow renewal isn't something you just pop on someone. Your dad might be the one in for the surprise.

But, I'm sure it will be fine. Have fun!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Go to Norwegian's website, all the way to the bottom in the Blue Section under Special and Themed Cruises--Wedding Cruises.

That should give you all the information you need and help you make the arrangements.

Enjoy this special time with your family.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I don't tend to agree much with zqvol, but, oh my. Vow renewal isn't something you just pop on someone. Your dad might be the one in for the surprise.

But, I'm sure it will be fine. Have fun!

Typically I would agree, but I think in this case she will love it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Go to Norwegian's website, all the way to the bottom in the Blue Section under Special and Themed Cruises--Wedding Cruises.

That should give you all the information you need and help you make the arrangements.

Enjoy this special time with your family.

Thank you!! I see there I can send it as a gift, or call the number for more info. That is so helpful and I'll be calling tomorrow!

• Like 1

If they both will enjoy the vow renewal, then do it.  That said, why is it important to be a surprise?  That has the opposite effect of "enjoyment" on a tremendous number of people (myself included).

'Since a vow renewal is something that both spouses generally participate in, surprising ones wife with it is probably not a good idea.  Most women would really want to be prepared with their own vows for something like that.  From personal experience, DH was going to surprise me with a vow renewal on our 25th anniversary cruise.  Luckily he realised the error of his ways, and I was able to write my vows to him.  Our family and the both of us were able to truly enjoy a beautiful ceremony instead of me just being embarrassed by having nothing to say on the spur of the moment like that.  May I humbly suggest that he tell her about the ceremony so she can prepare, and then maybe make the surprise a heartfelt gift?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

For those saying this is a bad idea, you need to leave it up to the OP because you don't know the situation. My wife talks about doing an exotic vow renewal all the time, I guarantee if I surprised her with one she would be 100% thrilled. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

My wife talks about doing an exotic vow renewal all the time, I guarantee if I surprised her with one she would be 100% thrilled. 

So does that automatically carry over to the OP?  The OP asked:

5 hours ago, bookgirl1384 said:

Does anyone know if that would be an issue or have any other ideas?

Why are you telling us to mind our own business when the OP asked for input?  Do we really "need" to keep our opinions to ourselves?  That doesn't sound like an internet forum....🤣

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

No, I literally said we should leave that decision up to the OP because they know best. 

Yes, and "I literally said" that the OP asked us for input.  Perhaps you need to reread the OP before telling the rest of us that we're doing it wrong.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes, and "I literally said" that the OP asked us for input.  Perhaps you need to reread the OP before telling the rest of us that we're doing it wrong.  

They don't want (or probably care) about your opinion (or mine) on doing the vow renewal. They want to know what the best way is to book it and keep it a surprise.

Not that it'll happen, but folks should really just answer the question and leave the commentary out. I know....I commentate plenty when I should keep my mouth shut. Hypocrite, I am.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

They didn't ask if they should do it they asked how to do it. 

14 hours ago, fastpitchdad said:

Why would it backfire? They are already married it isn't like she is going to turn him down in public? 

My husband knows that to me, vow renewals mean trouble in paradise. He’d never surprise me with one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

They don't want (or probably care) about your opinion (or mine) on doing the vow renewal. They want to know what the best way is to book it and keep it a surprise.

Not that it'll happen, but folks should really just answer the question and leave the commentary out. I know....I commentate plenty when I should keep my mouth shut. Hypocrite, I am.  

I really don’t think that’s how discussion boards work…

• Like 2

Just now, mjkacmom said:

Oh, I know! I have a feeling I might leave a lot of unnecessary commentary on these hallowed boards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

They don't want (or probably care) about your opinion (or mine) on doing the vow renewal.

1 hour ago, fastpitchdad said:

They didn't ask if they should do it they asked how to do it. 

Are you folks new to internet forums?🤣

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

See, this person gets it.  😎

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

So we should do as you say, not as you do.  Right??  I'm guessing you already know what I'll do with that.🤣

• Haha 1