How often do you eat lobster at home?

On 6/17/2024 at 9:18 PM, Hlitner said:

The best tongue can be found at Katz's (in NYC) or some other NYC delis.  The deli version is usually served, sliced, on decent rye.  Tis a great deli meat, especially with some decent mustard.

Hank

Hi Hank, when I was growing up I remember my parents loving tongue on good Jewish Rye.

• Like 2

I have a "Lobster Fest Weekend" about once every two months.

I go to James Hook (mentioned early on in this thread) on a Friday and get two 4 pound lobsters.  (I would never bother with 1.5 pounders or as we call them "chicken lobsters").  I cut them in half and cook them on the grill.

On Friday I serve half a tail with a compound butter that I made.

On Saturday I will server either a lobster risotto with lobster stock I made from the shells from the previous lobster weekend or a lobster linguini.  

Sunday afternoon is lobster roll time with just a hint of mayo.  Tradition is a hot dog bun but I prefer two slices of sour dough.

Yum!

(and you will never catch me eating lobster on a cruise ship!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I have a "Lobster Fest Weekend" about once every two months.

I go to James Hook (mentioned early on in this thread) on a Friday and get two 4 pound lobsters.  (I would never bother with 1.5 pounders or as we call them "chicken lobsters").  I cut them in half and cook them on the grill.

On Friday I serve half a tail with a compound butter that I made.

On Saturday I will server either a lobster risotto with lobster stock I made from the shells from the previous lobster weekend or a lobster linguini.  

Sunday afternoon is lobster roll time with just a hint of mayo.  Tradition is a hot dog bun but I prefer two slices of sour dough.

Yum!

(and you will never catch me eating lobster on a cruise ship!)

Oh that sounds fantastic!

I love living in Minnesota, but I am jealous of you folks who are able to get such fresh seafood.

The cruise line cutbacks have ruined my desire to eat seafood on a cruise, not lobster, but everything else. I used to look forward to it, now not so much.

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

Oh that sounds fantastic!

I love living in Minnesota, but I am jealous of you folks who are able to get such fresh seafood.

The cruise line cutbacks have ruined my desire to eat seafood on a cruise, not lobster, but everything else. I used to look forward to it, now not so much.

Just picked up a one pound Block Island swordfish steak for the grill this evening.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Just picked up a one pound Block Island swordfish steak for the grill this evening.

Oh sure just rub it in why don't ya'...😉

I don't recall if I have ever had swordfish. Can you describe the flavor please and how do you cook it?

54 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

I don't recall if I have ever had swordfish. Can you describe the flavor please and how do you cook it?

I don't think I have either.

3 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Flavor is hard to describe - certainly not at all “fishy” - slightly buttery, not too unlike beef tenderloin (with somewhat  similar texture), but distinctly its own.  I cook it on a gas grill - also good over charcoal, very hot - it can be broiled in an oven as well.   A  steak - an inch, or slightly more, thick (much thinner - gets dried out) - prepare with freshly ground black pepper , very light salt, sprinkled with ground paprika, then olive oil on both sides.  You need a mesh or flat surface rather than just bars - six minutes on a side if an inch or so thick, slightly more or less depending upon thickness. Serve with a wedge of lemon — I like to puncture with my fork the thin crust which covers it and let the lemon juice penetrate. 

Sadly, previously frozen (pretty much all that is available when far from either coast) lacks texture and flavor - it simply does not survive freezing very well.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

In Maine, "chix" are 1.25 lb, while 1.5 lb lobsters are "halves".  You generally won't find 4 lb lobsters here, as Maine is the only New England state with a maximum keeper size of 5", which is about 3-4 lb, so a 4 lb is rare, and very expensive.  The max size is to return "survivors" to the breeding stock, and keep the population stable.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Flavor is hard to describe - certainly not at all “fishy” - slightly buttery, not too unlike beef tenderloin (with somewhat  similar texture), but distinctly its own.  I cook it on a gas grill - also good over charcoal, very hot - it can be broiled in an oven as well.   A  steak - an inch, or slightly more, thick (much thinner - gets dried out) - prepare with freshly ground black pepper , very light salt, sprinkled with ground paprika, then olive oil on both sides.  You need a mesh or flat surface rather than just bars - six minutes on a side if an inch or so thick, slightly more or less depending upon thickness. Serve with a wedge of lemon — I like to puncture with my fork the thin crust which covers it and let the lemon juice penetrate. 

Sadly, previously frozen (pretty much all that is available when far from either coast) lacks texture and flavor - it simply does not survive freezing very well.

Thank you very much, I love to grill and it sounds fun to cook. Unfortunately the only way I am going to get the swordfish you describe is by taking a trip east. My wife and I have talked about heading your way many times, now I have another reason to go.

9 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Thank you very much, I love to grill and it sounds fun to cook. Unfortunately the only way I am going to get the swordfish you describe is by taking a trip east. My wife and I have talked about heading your way many times, now I have another reason to go.

You should try grilling frozen swordfish - while nothing beats fresh-off-the-boat local, frozen can be really good.