Booking with complicated surnames

Our children have lengthy hyphenated names. Celebrity won't let us book online using hyphens and some characters are cut off. The rep says this is fine; we've never had a problem traveling on airlines on the past. I've printed off transcripts with chats with the agent -- does anyone have any concerns with making an online booking with that assurance?

Posted (edited)

If I were making this reservation, I would call Celebrity directly to make the booking and have them enter the names over the phone as they see necessary, or do so through a travel agent, with the Celebrity email booking confirmation issued to assure all is as it should be.  Personally I would not be comfortable simply doing so on line if the full proper names are not able to be entered correctly. JMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I don't have a TA -- I live in a small town in northern Canada far, far away from any city -- so a phone call may be the best idea.

...then again, I can just imagine the phone call that I'm going to have. They'll probably spell my own last name wrong, and I only have one!

Edited by David_S29

1 hour ago, David_S29 said:

I don't have a TA -- I live in a small town in northern Canada far, far away from any city -- so a phone call may be the best idea.

...then again, I can just imagine the phone call that I'm going to have. They'll probably spell my own last name wrong, and I only have one!

Do it all on a call and have them email all booking confirmation information while you are still on the line with the Celebrity rep.  Review everything before you hang up to confirm all accurate. I do this for every reservation I make.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just an FYI my wife has a hyphenated last name like

Last-Last which is how it is on her Passport and DL.  Like most of the cruise lines and airlines, Celebrity's system cannot accept the hyphen. On Celebrity there is a space in its place.  Some systems just remove that altogether and you get Lastlast.

Good luck

• Like 2

As someone who checks in cruise passengers, handling a 'name correction' isn't a big deal.  Your wife will most likely be asked to see a counter agent who will use their laptop to complete her check-in.  Swiping her passport should complete the process, but the agent can also manually edit the correct hyphenated name.  

Nothing to worry about.

• Like 2

most important is that passport and airline paperwork match..so you can get to your port & home...  after that it usually works out.. but calling it in is best and make sure they are recording!  

we wait for the booking conf to come thru while on the call..

Just checked on the few Celebrity key passes I kept.  Most them show my double name with hyphen dropped.  But on the Beyond 2022 sailing, only the first part of my double name is printed, although the corresponding confirmation, invoice etc from TA clearly states my correct double name (with hyphen).

My family and I have complicated names/surnames. I agree contact celebrity and I agree the celebrity agent at the port will likely be able to sort things. However, we have had problems with the port agents who sometimes are the first to check your passport, documents etc. These people are employed by the port not by Celebrity and we have experienced them at all ports. At times we have been held up by them because they thought the documents did not match. We sort it out, but the first time it happened, in a foreign country, where our 20 year old daughter was being told she could not proceed, it was "concerning" until it was sorted......so just be aware there may be two levels/sights of "proof" needed....the port agents and then the celebrity desk. Good luck.;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, emelle said:

However, we have had problems with the port agents who sometimes are the first to check your passport, documents etc. These people are employed by the port not by Celebrity and we have experienced them at all ports.   ......so just be aware there may be two levels/sights of "proof" needed....the port agents and then the celebrity desk.

To clarify, none of the outside agents, security, or counter check in people at the terminal are Celebrity employees. They are all 3rd party contract employees. And in our experience they are always the ones who screen carry on's, check passports and boarding docs, and complete the check in process.

There are Celebrity reps "on call" who can come to assist with individual issues. But you would typically only deal with them if there is an issue that could compromise, or prevent, a boarding.  Normally the first Celebrity reps you deal with are those on board who greet you on the ship.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again, everyone! I ended up going with a "local" (translation: 200 km away) TA, and managed to secure a reservation $1500 lower than what I could find on Celebrity's website.

• Like 3

On 6/14/2024 at 10:06 PM, David_S29 said:

Thanks again, everyone! I ended up going with a "local" (translation: 200 km away) TA, and managed to secure a reservation $1500 lower than what I could find on Celebrity's website.

Congrats.  
That would convince me to never book directly through Celebrity again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Congrats.  
That would convince me to never book directly through Celebrity again.

I checked my reservation yesterday and found out that, despite all precautions, the Celebrity agent my TA was dealing with misspelled my own last name. Not my kids' hyphenated names (which incorporates mine), but my much simpler one. I called my TA, who was great, and said she'd get it fixed. Sigh.

4 minutes ago, David_S29 said:

I checked my reservation yesterday and found out that, despite all precautions, the Celebrity agent my TA was dealing with misspelled my own last name. Not my kids' hyphenated names (which incorporates mine), but my much simpler one. I called my TA, who was great, and said she'd get it fixed. Sigh.

Oh good grief.🤪

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Oh good grief.🤪

Good catch..we must be our own proof readers..so many mistakes...even by the robots!

• Like 1