Review: QM2 TA - June 9th to 15th

*Miss G*

11 minutes ago, King Amo said:

Masks the taste of the tap water😁

It's interesting and it may be another cultural difference between the Americans and Europeans. As an example, I've travelled all over Europe and been to maybe 100+ hotels (3-star and 4-star mainly) in Europe and I have very rarely seen an ice machine in the corridor or lobby. But in the US, almost every hotel, even the lower class hotels, they almost all have an ice machine in the corridor.

And I also noticed that in the US, they often serve Orange Juice with Ice.  In Europe, I have not seen ice being served with Orange Juice. 

So I think it's something to do with the cultural difference between Americans and Europeans.

11 minutes ago, Kordy said:

It's interesting and it may be another cultural difference between the Americans and Europeans. As an example, I've travelled all over Europe and been to maybe 100+ hotels (3-star and 4-star mainly) in Europe and I have very rarely seen an ice machine in the corridor or lobby. But in the US, almost every hotel, even the lower class hotels, they almost all have an ice machine in the corridor.

And I also noticed that in the US, they often serve Orange Juice with Ice.  In Europe, I have not seen ice being served with Orange Juice. 

So I think it's something to do with the cultural difference between Americans and Europeans.

Or it could be to do with one of the additional automatic 'niceties' in QG cabins. Our ice bucket is filled every day.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Quick question ... Just genuinely curious - what is the benefit of ice in your room?   Just to put into your drinks when you're drinking in the cabin?

Maybe it's a new habit I can pick-up!  To make my cruising life better.

That’s what I do with it, and also put some in my water bottle when leaving the ship on a hot day.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Thanks to you too *Miss G* for your commentary. We're so fortunate with all the feedback at the moment.

A tip for the Harrogate water bottles. Boil the kettle and when near boiling, pour onto the screw cap. It expands and loosens it sufficiently to open with out the need of superman in the room to help out.

What a great tip! I never would have thought of that. Thank you!

39 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Quick question ... Just genuinely curious - what is the benefit of ice in your room?   Just to put into your drinks when you're drinking in the cabin?

Yes, to cool my water. In the mornings it turns into ice water and I can pour it into the glass. A quick and easy ice-water without having to wait till I am out of my cabin!

53 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Well don't feel obliged to take up the habit, from an immunology point of view it's not a risk free option by any means. But it is a well established trait that USA citizens enjoy a lot of ice in their drinks - there are plenty of other nationals who do the same, but whereas many USA hotels have a public service ice machine, they aren't so common elsewhere. In the UK, in a pub, if you asked for ice in your coca cola you may get 2 ice lumps, 3 if you're lucky, whereas some USA cafés will serve a glass of coke with half the glass fill with ice. Some people don't like iced drinks, and in many parts of Asia, water at meals is sometimes served slightly warm. Different strokes. Those clever Japanese water bottles were designed to keep water warm, not chilled.

From what I can make out, some other cruise lines that cater for USA guests have an automatic and daily delivery of ice, and in Grills, your butler / steward may approach you to ask about this. Just as would happen in top tier hotels, I guess. But other passengers on Cunard would have to be pro-active about it. There is a note in the ship guidebook to call up room service for ice delivery,  I suspect it's their single most frequent delivery after breakfast.

• Like 1

What a great answer, thank you !   This is so enlightening and thank you for explaining.

Just my own observation - Yes, when I first came to the US and was served a drink at a Restaurant, I was surprised to get half a glass of ice.  Now, I always ask the waitress - No Ice please and they usually don't give me any ice.

But I always thought it was to do with efficiency and profit.. it is a lot more cost effective for a restaurant (or a hotel) to serve a glass with half-ice/half-orange juice (or Coca-Cola) rather than full 100% orange juice.  So they make more profit by giving a lot of ice?  I see this a lot in fast-food restaurants where sometimes you get more ice than actual drink !  I am sure it's related to profits as it would cost them more to make ice optional.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kordy said:

What a great answer, thank you !   This is so enlightening and thank you for explaining.

Just my own observation - Yes, when I first came to the US and was served a drink at a Restaurant, I was surprised to get half a glass of ice.  Now, I always ask the waitress - No Ice please and they usually don't give me any ice.

But I always thought it was to do with efficiency and profit.. it is a lot more cost effective for a restaurant (or a hotel) to serve a glass with half-ice/half-orange juice (or Coca-Cola) rather than full 100% orange juice.  So they make more profit by giving a lot of ice?  I see this a lot in fast-food restaurants where sometimes you get more ice than actual drink !  I am sure it's related to profits as it would cost them more to make ice optional.

You are absolutely right about the volume of an ordered drink with ice. Although I like "some" ice, I'll ask for only a few cubes, rather than half a glass.

In a nice restaurant or "classy" cruise ship (ie the QM2, sometimes, if I'm having a cocktail, I'll ask for a few cubes on the side and sometimes a wedge of lime).

After awhile, I get to be known as the "Lime Lady". Works wonders if a cocktail is too sweet!

• Like 1

THE BATHROOM

You know what I’m going to say here, but here goes anyway…

The bathroom was compact but functional.  I particularly disliked the small plastic shower with curtain.  As well, dexterity should not be a requirement to manage the toilet roll.  It is a no-brainer process. Don’t make it difficult!  

Not being provided with hair conditioner was a big fail. This is not a product which should have to be requested. It gives the impression that you are in a low budget hotel. The shower just reinforces that impression.

Hands down, HAL wins this category.  Their newest ships (which are my preference) have large glass walk-in showers and ceramic interiors. They are even refitting their older ships with the same design.  I appreciate that attention to detail and comfort.

• Like 1

@*Miss G*, your comparisons to HAL mostly match mine, especially about the buffet. I love everything about QM2 except the buffet. I find the layout confusing. Toasting your own bread at breakfast is like being at Motel 6, and there never are any cookies (unlike HAL where the double chocolate cookies at lunch are divine). I take cookies with me on Cunard. I take crackers on HAL. 

The salad bar on QM2 is a joke, with only the most basic offerings. I once was so frustrated with the poor flow and bad layout that I said to travel companions, "Some day, I'm going to throw a plate of food in the air and scream I $%^&ing HATE this $%^&ing place!" Unfortunately, one of them has a long memory and still asks me if I've thrown my plate in Kings Court yet. I haven't, but that doesn't mean I never will. 

To be fair to Cunard, the buffet layout on the other ships is more like the ones on HAL. On QA nearly everything was served. On QE and QV, most food is served, but the salad bar (WAY better than QM2's) and cold items are self-serve. I use a paper napkin to pick up utensils.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Or it could be to do with one of the additional automatic 'niceties' in QG cabins. Our ice bucket is filled every day.

We have always had ice delivered daily in all grades of accommodation from Britannia to QG.  This must be a fairly recent change - as is having to request conditioner except in the Grills.

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

We have always had ice delivered daily in all grades of accommodation from Britannia to QG.  This must be a fairly recent change - as is having to request conditioner except in the Grills.

david,

On our recent 6/9-15 Crossing on the QM2 (Sheltered Balcony), We requested a wine bucket filled with ice be delivered at 5:00PM every day. We made that request the first day and our cabin steward never missed a day. 

Jack

• Like 2

There are a few things like though, the daily newspaper for example, that's on request to the steward. There are German language versions of the daily programme too on some routes, and you can swap languages if you want (the German one is heavily summarised). Ditto Japanese on relevant routes. Fruit and cheese plates too, though they are on room service.

18 hours ago, Pushpit said:

There are a few things like though, the daily newspaper for example, that's on request to the steward. There are German language versions of the daily programme too on some routes, and you can swap languages if you want (the German one is heavily summarised). Ditto Japanese on relevant routes. Fruit and cheese plates too, though they are on room service.

The daily newspapers, which came unrequested, were a nice touch.  HAL does that too.  I received the Canadian version as that is the passport I used to board the ship.  I was much more interested in the US news, where I currently live, but I didn’t bother to request a change.

• Like 1

ACTIVITIES AND ENTERTAINMENT

Cunard’s entertainment is cerebral. I LOVE the line’s focus on enrichment and the arts.  It is a dignified contributor to the serene and calming atmosphere. There were a diverse array of educational topics and stimulating performances to inspire the soul.  Being extensive and wide-ranging, there was something for everyone.

I enjoyed the canned Muzak at the Terrace Pool.  It was not loud or intrusive and it evoked happy memories.  To illustrate how unintrusive it was, I cannot recall if it was playing in other areas of the ship or not.  I am grateful for that.

There were many activities throughout the day.  This sailing, I was focused on familiarizing myself with the ship so my attendance was minimal.  I did notice that the art classes were an additional cost.  Materials are inclusive when on HAL or Princess.

To respond to @Kordy’s questions, there were no broadway-like shows such as you find on Princess, nor were there stand-up comedians or magic shows, to my recollection.  Those are of less interest to me than the offerings on QM2, which is one of the reasons you will not find me on Princess.  Cunard knows their product and their demographic.  I do not wish them to change.

With that, I come to the end of my summation.  A big THANK YOU to everyone who has read and responded on this review.  I truly appreciate your kind comments. It has been a pleasure to share my observations and this experience with you, and  I hope for the opportunity to share again soon.

In the end, if you told me I was going on a cruise and gave me a choice of the QM2/Cunard or a HAL ship — presuming comparable itineraries — I would choose the QM2 in a heartbeat.  There is so much more to discover and I would be excited at the opportunity to sail on her again.

Thank you.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

On 6/29/2024 at 9:46 AM, Kordy said:

For ice water in the cabin.  We try to drink as much water as we can.  It's good for you!