First Time Celebrity - Drinks, wifi and Room Questions

Hello,

We have been on one cruise only before, with Royal, we loved it, and now we will try Celebrity.

Before boarding, will celebrity offer discounts on the drinks packages the way Royal did (up to 40% at times) - we didn't take advantage of it, so ended up with 25% discount once on board (buy one get one 50% off).  I wondered if it was the same with celebrity.

We like the cocktails so I think premium would be better than classic?  My daughter (17) will be going with us, so I take it we only need to get her the Zero? 

Is the WIFI worth it?  I actually liked being disconnected and it was nice to not see my daughter and wife on their phones all the time, so I might forgo the all included and only go for drinks.

I don't know whether to go got veranda guarantee (worried about only getting the porthole version, or deck 9 - as I read that deck 9 suffers a little from the overhang - Advice appreciated)

Anything else we should know from those who have been Royal and Celebrity? :)

Thanks all in advance

Actually we sail on both lines.  IMO Celebrity a better value.  When you book, you have an option to include the drink package and wifii.  It is worth it to upgrade when booking.  The wifii works well- especially on new ships.   Tips used to be included also in the rate- but no longer.  We like cabins near the elevator and ideally with cabins above and below.  Not sure if the oceanview cabins are at this location.  I also wouldn't like a guarantee as I am fussy about the location and deck of the cabin and IMO worth it to pay more for what we want.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

In terms of wifi, will you need to check email or news occasionally or want to be able to text your daughter and wife onboard or family back home? I would find it hard not to have any wifi but you may want to look into at least getting a limited package. There are various sales on drink packages before sailing so you need to check the cruise planner periodically. If you purchase the drink package or excursions and the price goes down before sailing you can get a refund and repurchase at the new price. I think the biggest sale for drink packages has been 30% off but it is not typical and hard to predict. If you plan on having cocktails, you are probably better off with the premium package as that includes drinks up to $17 so that will cover most of them. If your daughter is underage she will need the Zero package if you and your wife are purchasing the alcoholic package.

12 minutes ago, 39august said:

Which ship?  This matters in terms of veranda guarantee. Frequently check drinks package rates for "flash sales". 

Apologies, its Celebrity Beyond we are going on.  I am not worried about wifi, so is it better to hold out for a flash deal regarding drinks?

3 hours ago, JetAwayJayne said:

Is the WIFI worth it?  I actually liked being disconnected and it was nice to not see my daughter and wife on their phones all the time, so I might forgo the all included and only go for drinks.

This also is a "which itinerary" sort of thing.  

Generally, for a Europe cruise, I am buying an eSim for my phone to cover not just time on the cruise, but also the pre/post time on land.  I use that for both the navigating on-land bits, but also can check and do e-mail & texting etc..  We also get "free" minutes from being Elite, but that's not all that much.  An eSim, though, will not function on most sea days, but rather more in the AM/PM while having breakfast or drinks while in port. 

For a Mexico or Caribbean cruise, I find no need to really get an eSim and probably rely more on the ships internet (again, Elite gets some free mins) or on wifi hotspots in ports (some risk there).

So, it is sort of - to me - itinerary specific.  UNPLUGGED is best in my eyes, and it is actually one of the more depressing changes over the past decade seeing folks increasingly "silo-ed" in their own worlds on a lovely ship on a wonderful trip through a beautiful world. 😞 Escaping from an escape is the new norm, I guess.

14 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

So, it is sort of - to me - itinerary specific.  UNPLUGGED is best in my eyes, and it is actually one of the more depressing changes over the past decade seeing folks increasingly "silo-ed" in their own worlds on a lovely ship on a wonderful trip through a beautiful world. 😞 Escaping from an escape is the new norm, I guess.

I prefer the unplugged option also, so the WIFI isnt important.  We are in the UK, but we have free Data, Minutes etc in the USA - we are looking at a Carribean cruise.

Can I also just confirm that Sodas are available on every package and that it is indeed Coca Cola as the brand?

30 minutes ago, JetAwayJayne said:

I prefer the unplugged option also, so the WIFI isnt important.  We are in the UK, but we have free Data, Minutes etc in the USA - we are looking at a Carribean cruise.

Can I also just confirm that Sodas are available on every package and that it is indeed Coca Cola as the brand?

I'm sure you are aware of this but in case anyone else is not, your free minutes in the U.S. does not carry on to the ship, unless you're sitting in the dock in Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Port Canaveral, etc. If you're at sea, you'll be charged the very high roaming rate. 

Coca Cola is the brand and yes, soft drinks are included on every package. Here is a link to the page with the details on the drinks packages: Celebrity Drinks Packages

4 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Coca Cola is the brand and yes, soft drinks are included on every package. Here is a link to the page with the details on the drinks packages: Celebrity Drinks Packages

the link to the document is not helpful I’m afraid. It doesn’t mention Coca Cola. On top of that it confuses things further as what is the difference between Sodas and Premium Sodas? 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, JetAwayJayne said:

the link to the document is not helpful I’m afraid. It doesn’t mention Coca Cola. On top of that it confuses things further as what is the difference between Sodas and Premium Sodas? 

I'll add - in the past, we've only done the Classic/basic drink packages, and Coke was on the package, but things like Red Bull weren't.  They were seemingly on the Premium, though.

From the FAQ:

What is the Zero Proof Package (previously the Premium Non-Alcoholic Package)?

Refresh with premium bottled water from Evian, Perrier, San Pellegrino, & Panna, Specialty Coffees & Organic Teas, Red Bull Energy Drink, Frozen Smoothies, Zero Proof Cocktails, Coca-Cola selections, offerings from Vitamin Water, and Bottled Iced Teas. 

What is the Premium Drink Package?

The Premium Drink Package includes all Classic Drink Package items, PLUS: Specialty coffees & teas, craft & artisan beers, spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, Coca-Cola products, premium bottled water, and wines by the glass up to $17 per serving. Also, take a 20% discount off all bottles of wine!

Edited by Tom and Ingrid

I book AI and always upgrade the drinks to the premium package…if in doubt, do this..I could give two you know what’s about the WiFi at sea. 

1 minute ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

From the FAQ:

What is the Zero Proof Package (previously the Premium Non-Alcoholic Package)?

Refresh with premium bottled water from Evian, Perrier, San Pellegrino, & Panna, Specialty Coffees & Organic Teas, Red Bull Energy Drink, Frozen Smoothies, Zero Proof Cocktails, Coca-Cola selections, offerings from Vitamin Water, and Bottled Iced Teas. 

yea I read this. But it still does not answer about classic package and the difference between Sodas and Premium Sodas

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

I book AI and always upgrade the drinks to the premium package…if in doubt, do this..I could give two you know what’s about the WiFi at sea. 

is it expensive to change from Classic to Premium? 

55 minutes ago, JetAwayJayne said:

is it expensive to change from Classic to Premium? 

It can vary, the highest I have seen it is around $20 PPPD plus 20% gratuity.

• Thanks 1

I just booked a 4 night cruise. At the time of booking it was only $50 a day per person for the classic drink package and wifi so I booked the included rate. I have paid more for just the drink package on Royal Caribbean even during their Black Friday discounts. When my booking on Celebrity was complete I checked out the the drink and wifi packages prices. The drink package is 75.99 pp per night with a 15% discount and basic wifi is $21.99 for one device per night. The best thing to do is to calculate the daily drink and wifi package per day and if it  what you are comfortable paying book it with the package. I know mine will never be cheaper than what I paid when I booked.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

I just booked a 4 night cruise. At the time of booking it was only $50 a day per person for the classic drink package and wifi so I booked the included rate. I have paid more for just the drink package on Royal Caribbean even during their Black Friday discounts. When my booking on Celebrity was complete I checked out the the drink and wifi packages prices. The drink package is 75.99 pp per night with a 15% discount and basic wifi is $21.99 for one device per night. The best thing to do is to calculate the daily drink and wifi package per day and if it  what you are comfortable paying book it with the package. I know mine will never be cheaper than what I paid when I booked.

Thank you for this information. I appreciate that. 

do you know do all the packages include the CocaCola Range as it doesn’t say on any info. Specifically the classic? 

Just now, JetAwayJayne said:

Thank you for this information. I appreciate that. 

do you know do all the packages include the CocaCola Range as it doesn’t say on any info. Specifically the classic? 

I don't know. I haven't cruised since 2019 and on Royal it was fountain soda. They used Coke products and I would think that since Celebrity is part of RCCL group that they would use Coke products as well.

14 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't know. I haven't cruised since 2019 and on Royal it was fountain soda. They used Coke products and I would think that since Celebrity is part of RCCL group that they would use Coke products as well.

They DEFINITELY carry the Coke (not Pepsi or Dr Pepper or ...) products.  There may, though be availability issues across the Coke-brand line depending upon the ship and where in the itinerary.  Like Coke and Sprite, probably stocked up, but Coke Zero vs Cherry Coke vs Diet Coke? Maybe those are hit or miss?

You can just barely see what they were listing in the bottom right with things like Coke, Sprite, Fanta(?) and maybe Barqs? But no Mellow Yellow!!!

celebrity-oceanview-cafedestinations-bar

• Thanks 1

I hope you are aware that a veranda guarantee can get you an "infinite veranda" which is NOT a veranda at all, but a cabin with a sun room. Not something you can walk outside on. If that is not OK with you, i suggest you take an assigned veranda in whatever class you wish. Generally, higher deck cabins are more expensive than lower deck cabins. 

• Like 2