Solo pricing back to normal?

By chance checked my solo booking for the Apex next June.  It appears that the surcharge has gone away for my sailing. The cabin fare is just now what two people would pay.  Savings of $2600!  Maybe Celebrity got the message.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I found the same on a January sailing of the Constellation. The single rate was just $80 more than the per person double rate. Several of my friends jumped on it! It’s now back up again🙁

I booked solo for Antarctica in January 2026 on Equinox yesterday, and it was just a few hundred more than the rate for a double, so I went ahead. I would never, ever, in a million years pay triple of the price per person, double plus a little seemed o.k.

Posted (edited)

There are solo deals out there, we also have to remember that the supplement CAN vary by room type.  In a balcony...15% for the Sillie on Nov 29, 21% for the Sillie on Jul 17.  Lots of options for most ships within 60-70% range although I only looked at balconies

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The rate for double is all I'm willing to pay for solo occupancy.  I'm starting to spend my travel dollars elsewhere.

Us too, I do cruise solo at times but regardless if she goes with me or I'm solo, the prices are just too high compared to visiting by land in many 3rd world countries

52 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Us too, I do cruise solo at times but regardless if she goes with me or I'm solo, the prices are just too high compared to visiting by land in many 3rd world countries

I also found a great deal as a solo cruiser on a Mediterranean cruise next May.  Paid just a tad less than double occupancy. Took an inside cabin but unless prices skyrocket I'll upgrade to a verandah.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I also found a great deal as a solo cruiser on a Mediterranean cruise next May.  Paid just a tad less than double occupancy. Took an inside cabin but unless prices skyrocket I'll upgrade to a verandah.  

Checked the site this morning and a solo IV showed up; last one somebody must have upgraded as none were left last week so I put a hold on it till my CVP comes in tomorrow. It's another $840 CAD over the price of a regular inside smaller cabin with Queen bed but veranda is the same as all the others. Is this a good upgrade for the price never been in an IV before but wanted it for the Mediterranean. 

22 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Checked the site this morning and a solo IV showed up; last one somebody must have upgraded as none were left last week so I put a hold on it till my CVP comes in tomorrow. It's another $840 CAD over the price of a regular inside smaller cabin with Queen bed but veranda is the same as all the others. Is this a good upgrade for the price never been in an IV before but wanted it for the Mediterranean. 

I had a single IV on a courtesy hold for my Mediterranean cruise next May but after looking at some utubes am going to release hold. Smaller cabin queen bed with no sofa or drawers for clothing. Just a few small shelves. I'd have to live out of my suitcase.  The extra charge is just not worth it IMO. Don't know what Kelly Hoppen was thinking when she designed these solo cabins; maybe she thinks we travel with backpacks.

22 hours ago, drakes2 said:

22 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I had a single IV on a courtesy hold for my Mediterranean cruise next May but after looking at some utubes am going to release hold. Smaller cabin queen bed with no sofa or drawers for clothing. Just a few small shelves. I'd have to live out of my suitcase.  The extra charge is just not worth it IMO. Don't know what Kelly Hoppen was thinking when she designed these solo cabins; maybe she thinks we travel with backpacks.

I loved my solo IV in Feb 2020. But... I am a light packer. I've done a 7-night cruise to Alaska for a running cruise - with an extra night on either end - in carry-on only. I use packing cubes so I just took those out and slid them into the shelves. I do mix and match with stuff I'd hang up, so it's not a separate outfit each night. Shoes are 1-2 pair of tennis shoes (one of which is worn while flying and on embarkation and debarkation day, 1 pair of sandals, and 1 pair of shoes for the pool or beach.

If you're one who brings a lot of stuff and doesn't use packing cubes, it may not be the cabin for you. I personally would have no problem going back into one - except I'm now spoiled to Blu and can't fathom not doing Aqua, even if it means less frequent cruises.

8 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I loved my solo IV in Feb 2020. But... I am a light packer. I've done a 7-night cruise to Alaska for a running cruise - with an extra night on either end - in carry-on only. I use packing cubes so I just took those out and slid them into the shelves. I do mix and match with stuff I'd hang up, so it's not a separate outfit each night. Shoes are 1-2 pair of tennis shoes (one of which is worn while flying and on embarkation and debarkation day, 1 pair of sandals, and 1 pair of shoes for the pool or beach.

If you're one who brings a lot of stuff and doesn't use packing cubes, it may not be the cabin for you. I personally would have no problem going back into one - except I'm now spoiled to Blu and can't fathom not doing Aqua, even if it means less frequent cruises.

I'm not that concerned about the lack of a sofa but I would need at least a couple of decent size drawers as I'll be doing this as the second leg of a 15 night transatlantic and was surprised there wasn't a chest of drawers. Several years ago I was on the Silhouette also solo inside cabin at 102 Square feet and drawer space was great.  I just felt the upcharge from inside to solo IV was unwarranted. 

6 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I'm not that concerned about the lack of a sofa but I would need at least a couple of decent size drawers as I'll be doing this as the second leg of a 15 night transatlantic and was surprised there wasn't a chest of drawers. Several years ago I was on the Silhouette also solo inside cabin at 102 Square feet and drawer space was great.  I just felt the upcharge from inside to solo IV was unwarranted. 

No sweat off my back. I'm not one who demands that everyone like (or dislike) the same thing. I was just giving information.

We all have different things that matter to us. I live in basically a studio apartment, so I sit on my bed all the time - no sofa doesn't bother me. But I get that I'm weird and that's a big thing to a lot of people. (For me since the TV is pretty much across from the bed, I'll probably sit there even in my AQ cabin this summer - I don't want to end up with a crick in my neck keeping it turned to watch tv from the sofa.)

For me the biggest plus with the solo IV is that it's ONE bed - not two shoved together. It's rare that I have a cabin steward who's able to put the beds tight enough together I don't end up slipping between them when I'm in the regular cabins where they push the 2 twins together. I really wish cruiselines would invest in the straps to put around them rather than hoping they get the sheets tight enough.

But again, you do what works for you. 🙂

22 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

No sweat off my back. I'm not one who demands that everyone like (or dislike) the same thing. I was just giving information.

We all have different things that matter to us. I live in basically a studio apartment, so I sit on my bed all the time - no sofa doesn't bother me. But I get that I'm weird and that's a big thing to a lot of people. (For me since the TV is pretty much across from the bed, I'll probably sit there even in my AQ cabin this summer - I don't want to end up with a crick in my neck keeping it turned to watch tv from the sofa.)

For me the biggest plus with the solo IV is that it's ONE bed - not two shoved together. It's rare that I have a cabin steward who's able to put the beds tight enough together I don't end up slipping between them when I'm in the regular cabins where they push the 2 twins together. I really wish cruiselines would invest in the straps to put around them rather than hoping they get the sheets tight enough.

But again, you do what works for you. 🙂

Appreciate your input and no I do not find you weird at all. On my April TA I was in a deluxe inside with a King bed also two singles pushed together must have been pretty tightly pushed together as I didn't notice but then I sleep on my side at edge of bed and rarely move. Lots of time till this cruise happens and perhaps the IVs will drop in price or may bite the bullet and book; can always reprice.  Thanks again for the info. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Appreciate your input and no I do not find you weird at all. On my April TA I was in a deluxe inside with a King bed also two singles pushed together must have been pretty tightly pushed together as I didn't notice but then I sleep on my side at edge of bed and rarely move. Lots of time till this cruise happens and perhaps the IVs will drop in price or may bite the bullet and book; can always reprice.  Thanks again for the info. 😀

It looks like there is ample bin space in the solo cabin restroom but only that single desk drawer in the main cabin.  I hang the majority of my clothes on a cruise so I don't think I'll have any issues.  Hopefully my socks won't be too damp from the humidity from the shower.

When I was on Beyond (don't know if it was the same on others) there were small drawers in the bedroom. I was able to put in them my underwear, shorts and t shirts - everything else I hung up

58 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

When I was on Beyond (don't know if it was the same on others) there were small drawers in the bedroom. I was able to put in them my underwear, shorts and t shirts - everything else I hung up

I usually bring 3 swimsuits as I'm in the pool a lot sometimes I have to change couple times a day if I've got something planned also being on a previous TA have to pack pants long sleeve shirt and a sweater as unsure what the crossing will be like. I've canceled the hold on solo cabin and in all honesty the price of the upgrade wasn't worth it better to wait and see if regular verandas drop in price. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I agree.  Once I was able to view a tour, I decided a real cabin was worth the extra cost.

As to what Ms. Hoppen was thinking, the same goofy thoughts that led to her other designs.  Remember, she proudly claimed she had never cruised.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 1

Hi, I'm new to Celebrity. I have two cruises booked. I booked my first, a four-day Reflection cruise for late September, last year just prior to Black Friday. There was a really good sale.

I booked my second cruise today, having received an email advertising 75% the second passenger. I'm cruising solo, so theoretically, this should mean I'm paying 1.25X the original double-occupancy fare. I checked out an itinerary and was pleased with the price. So I booked a 9-day New Orleans/Caribbean cruise out of Tampa for late November in an oceanview stateroom for about $159/night including gratuities as well as taxes, fees, and port expenses. I feel that's a great rate for a solo cruise! I would prefer a balcony but the base rate was going for an additional $800 .

Edited by OhJinkies