RECOMMENDATION FOR PARIS HOTELS

I have done a search, but nothing comes up. Maybe I am searching incorrectly.

Three ladies staying in Paris for a few days before going to Barcelona to get cruise in September 2024.

Any recommendations of a moderate priced but good hotel. Also, any hints about getting into the Louvre without a long line.

Any other recommendations for a Paris visit.

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, oceansandseas said:

a moderate priced but good hotel.

"Moderate" can mean different things to different people, but hotel pricing anywhere is usually determined by supply and demand and any major events on your dates can also  impact availability and pricing.  With as many hotels as there are in Paris, it will take you a good deal of online research to find something with suits your pocket and your expectations. 

Given the number of choices, I have always found that finding accommodation in a city is especially difficult, even more time consuming and frustrating  than planning actual  sightseeing,  Use filters wherever possible on hotel booking websites, but always check the accommodation provider itself before booking, as they can sometimes offer extras such as included breakfast for the same price. You mentioned that there are three of you so get the others to do their research too.

There are not too many past threads for Paris hotels, but  you may find this one helpful.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2951030-pre-cruise-paris-hotel/#comment-65753253

As for entry to the Louvre, there are different lines for those with tickets and those without, so buying in advance might help you get on to a shorter line, but on the day it will be what it is. Nowadays in Europe with so many visitors, you can expect entry lines almost everywhere you go, especially for the top attractions if you cannot buy timed entry tickets ahead of time.

For sightseeing choices, again lots of reading.  Try the usual Official Paris Tourist Information website, also Tripadvisor, Frommer's, Fodor, and any others which appear when you internet search something like "Paris sights" or similar. And again, ask the other two ladies to help as each of you may have different interests.

Edited by edinburgher

Hotel in Paris, Hotel Rochechouart.  My daughter and I stayed in this hotel for three nights.  Nice not GREAT, location GREAT, Close to key area's, complementary Breakfast and Roof Deck with view of the Tower.  Stay here if you want some culture. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

We haven't been to Paris for several years but when we went regularly we stayed at the Hotel Left Bank Saint Germain.  I looked it up and it's still there.  At one time it was a Best Western but isn't any more.  It's a charming little hotel.  If you're looking for an American style Hilton type hotel you will not be happy but if you're looking for a French hotel with a small room on a narrow street with a lot of atmosphere you'll be happy.  The price is reasonable in my opinion, and we spent many vacations in Paris here.  It is located at 9 Rue De Ancienne Comedie and next door to Le Procope which is supposed to be the oldest restaurant in Paris.  You could eat where Voltaire ate.  We ate there several times.  Not the best restaurant in Paris nor the worst but historic.

It's very close to all the major tourist attractions and there is a market down the street in the morning. It's a least worth looking up.  The first time we stayed there was my husband's 40th birthday so it's been there a while. 

If you can, go to the Louvre first thing Monday morning.  Used to open at 9.  No crowds on that day at that time.  Just be aware that the Paraolympics begin August 28, so everything will be more crowded than usual.

I have stayed in Paris many times in various locations. Pick a location close to the Metro.  My favorite was Park Hyatt Vendome on Rue de la Paix.  It’s expensive, but worth it.  For real local charm, I loved la Chateaux Frontenac.  

8 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I have stayed in Paris many times in various locations

Same for me. Stayed in the 1st twice, the 5th, 12th, 10th for one night in a tiny flat (missed a flight due to torrential rain + partial transit strike: I still nearly made the flight) and the 7th. It almost doesn't matter as long as you....⬇️

Pick a location close to the Metro.

So long as you are within a quick walk to a metro station, and most places are in Paris, you'll see that the station stops aren't far apart, it won't be too difficult to find one in any arrondissment. 

To save time and reduce transfers (which aren't difficult and again, don't take much time as Paris isn't as big and wide as it looks) consider a hotel within the inner ring: that is, a hotel within an arrondissment that circles the river: these being the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and you could basically add most of the 8, 9 and even some partws of the 10-11 arrondissments, depending upon the location.

An easy way to help sort through the options is to search by stars. In France, hotels receive stars not by opinions, but by amenities available in the hotel and to an extent, quality, though not necessarily the way we're accustomed to rating things in the US.

Prices vary according to season but a three star can be quite nice and have all the amenities you'd be accustomed to in a proper hotel. Even some two stars can be really lovely but only have two stars because maybe it doesn't have an elevator. At four stars you're approaching luxury, at five stars you shouldn't be wanting for anything (Four Seasons aka George V, Plaza Athénèe, the Crillon etc). 

Rue de la Paix.

A favorite area of mine, maybe nostalgic from my first visit to Paris (and a subsequent return) I like the area. Convenient to the metro, the Louvre, Marais not far, in fact a lot is walkable. I stayed on the rue des Capucines, which was quiet except for a pub some nights but who cares. 

Decide what's important to you in a hotel, your budget and study the metro map. Then check out a few places that hit the mark. There will be enough to choose from. 

Eager to return but don't know if I'll be in the city since I'll likely visit a friend as I did on other visits to France. 

Keep us posted and let us know if you have more questions. 

My experience after several stays: A hotel in a charming conversion of a Haussmann era building or a former hotel particuliere, (a former elegant city home,) one must be certain that the term "air conditioned" or "climatisée" means all of the rooms and not some.

Contemporary built hotels, international chains and so on are reliable in their advertising and amenities. Not so for others.

When a friend asked a similar question as the OP's, my response was that there are more than 1600 hotels in Paris!   If you ask 100 folks, very familiar with Paris, their favorite hotel you are likely to get 100 different answers.

So, what to do?  We suggest making a decision on which neighborhood (arrondisement) you prefer to stay.  Knowing the area really helps pare down the list of good choices It also helps if one decides if they want a large modern hotel, or a smaller boutique-like cute Parisian property.  For example, if we were to choose a small property in the 5th (Latin Quarter) it would likely be the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles.  If I wanted a nice hotel in the 1st (close to the Louvre) I might choose the Hotel Brighton...although that is a 4* Hotel with 4* prices.  My own preference, if staying on the Right Bank would be to look for a nice reasonably priced hotel in the Marais area .

On the other hand, DW and I sometimes prefer to rent an apartment, for a few days to a few weeks, since you get a lot more space than a hotel room, can do some cooking, etc.  

Paris is a wonderful place with so many options on where to stay.  It is not a matter of right or wrong, but simply personal preference.

Hank