Pre cruise Paris hotel???

willow surfside

3 hours ago, willow surfside said:

would love to be close to the tourist stuff

As there is "tourist stuff" across this large and spread out city, maybe choose which attractions interest you most for your limited time there and choose an area which is convenient for at least some of them, and if you plan to move around the city by Metro, within your chosen area, choose one which is close to a Metro station.

Edited by edinburgher

There are more than 2000 hotels in Paris, not to mention thousands of B&Bs.  Choosing a hotel, for those of us who love the city, is always a task.  Although we have a number of smaller hotels we enjoy, a visit means that DW and I will often spend hours talking about which arrondisement (neighborhood) we want to stay.  Sometimes our decision is driven by the the day of the week,  So, for example, if we are going to be in Paris on a Saturday night (and all day Sunday) we might opt for staying in the Marais because they area has a lot of life on Sundays.  Otherwise, we tend to favor the 5th and 6th (Left Bank) because we find it much more charming than the Right Bank.  

In terms of first time visitors, location is important.  You want to be within a few blocks of a Metro Station, and there are other considerations such as where one wants to dine and where one might like to walk.  My favorite area (for a base) is St Germain des Pres, but this favors apartment rentals rather than hotels.  We also prefer cute small Pariisian/European style hotels instead of the larger chain type places.  As an idea of what is out there you might want to Google "Hotel Grandes Ecoles."  It is not necessarily our favorite, but it does exude a lot of charm and is the type of hotel we prefer.  The OP would likely not be interested in this particular hotel since it is far from the Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysees, etc.  For a larger right bank hotel in the middle of things, the Hotel Brighton has a lot to offer (including high prices).

Hank

• Like 1

Last summer, I stayed in St Germain des Pres.  Totallly loved the area.  Easy walking to everything, at least I thought so.   Another CC'er had booked this hotel for her cruise and I trust her judgement.  It was the Hotel Des Marrionners.  It was a cute small Parisian/European style hotel.  

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Last summer, I stayed in St Germain des Pres.  Totallly loved the area.  Easy walking to everything, at least I thought so.   Another CC'er had booked this hotel for her cruise and I trust her judgement.  It was the Hotel Des Marrionners.  It was a cute small Parisian/European style hotel.  

We are also fans of St Germain and love the location of that hotel (Rue de Jacob).  Not familiar with the place but added it to our own data base for the future.  We once rented an apartment about 2 blocks from that hotel, and just loved everything about that neighborhood. 

Hank

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We are also fans of St Germain and love the location of that hotel (Rue de Jacob).  Not familiar with the place but added it to our own data base for the future.  We once rented an apartment about 2 blocks from that hotel, and just loved everything about that neighborhood. 

Hank

If you like the small/quaint/Parisian hotel, this one is OK.  I got the single room, which was SMALL, but all that I needed.  It has a cute courtyard where you can sit and relax.  It was really the first time I stayed in a place like that - I'm still used to getting 4* places and cheap employee rates when I was working for *wood and Hilton.   Yep, the location was perfect!!  

We are staying in the Best Western Au Trocadero, which is located in the 16th district, is a small hotel that is a five minute walk to the Eiffel Tower, and very close to where the Viking ship docks.

• 4 weeks later...

@HlitnerWe are going to be in Paris for 4 days before we fly to Rome for a cruise.  We are staying at Hotel Relais Saint Sulpice,  I am looking for recommendations for private tour guides or a reputable tour company that can help us.  We want to use 3 of the 4 days to see the Louvre, D'Orsay, Rodin, and general sight seeing all a a more relaxed pace.  Appreciate any input.

My email is ddr @ ddrhome dot com

Just now, ddr1948 said:

@HlitnerWe are going to be in Paris for 4 days before we fly to Rome for a cruise.  We are staying at Hotel Relais Saint Sulpice,  I am looking for recommendations for private tour guides or a reputable tour company that can help us.  We want to use 3 of the 4 days to see the Louvre, D'Orsay, Rodin, and general sight seeing all a a more relaxed pace.  Appreciate any input.

My email is ddr @ ddrhome dot com

We have never used tours or tour guides in Paris.  Paris is relatively easy to navigate DIY, with the help of a working phone and perhaps a decent guide book such as Rick Steves.  DW and I really enjoy both the Musee d’Orsay and Rodin.  The Louvre is huge, so you might want to do a little research and focus on specific areas or interest. For those of us who like to walk, Paris is a great walking city.  We get around with mostly long walks and some use of the Metro (for longer distances).  

Since we have a personal interest in Impressionism we also enjoy the Orangerie and the lesser known Marmottan Museum.

Hank

@HlitnerThank you for the input. The Louvre is the only one I think we will get a guide.  Should allow us to maximize our time there.  We will add the Marmottan to our list as we too like Impressionism.  Any restaurant recommendations that are not the normal tourist type places? Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 3:31 PM, slidergirl said:

Another CC'er had booked this hotel for her cruise and I trust her judgement.  It was the Hotel Des Marrionners.  It was a cute small Parisian/European style hotel.  

On 7/20/2023 at 8:52 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

LOL, it was me. 😉

• Like 2

• 1 month later...