? About ppl reserving deck chairs and Obsv Lounge seats

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Simply because  you don't like the policy of no reserving loungers does not mean it's unreasonable.

Simply because you don't like the actual policy which allows time limits does not mean it's unreasonable, either. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The no reserved loungers is easier to enforce since, it is simpler, no loopholes, no exceptions, no questions about time limits, etc.

Do you really believe that, or are you just playing with us? You honestly believe it's "simpler" to remove the belongings of everyone who steps away from their chair, as opposed to keeping track of a time limit?

I'd like to hear from staff on that one.

And if it is indeed "simpler", what about the convenience of the guest who has to lug all their crap to the freaking bathroom? If you think that's reasonable, then we are at an impasse.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Maybe NCL should allow reservations for the buffet...😁

Maybe NCL should allow reservations for loungers. 😎

Once your time is up, people, items, etc. are ejected so that the next person with a reservation can use the lounger. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Maybe NCL should allow reservations for loungers. 😎

Once your time is up, people, items, etc. are ejected so that the next person with a reservation can use the lounger. 

Without thinking it through (as others seem to do too often), I would say that's a whole lot better concept than the "Leave It and Lose It" foolishness.

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Simply because you don't like the actual policy which allows time limits does not mean it's unreasonable, either. 

2 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Do you really believe that, or are you just playing with us? You honestly believe it's "simpler" to remove the belongings of everyone who steps away from their chair, as opposed to keeping track of a time limit?

I've enjoyed our conversations and I'll just drop off now.

9 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

And round and round we go. That is completely unreasonable for anyone who has to use the bathroom, get a drink, or takes a quick dip in the pool to cool off. 

And how do you propose someone takes that lounger? By moving someone else's stuff? How do you think that's going to work out?

I know you to be a reasonable man. Please try again.

One does not need to remove anothers stuff.  Leave it at the foot of the lounger and then it is there when the person finally returns.  

I honestly think a lot of the frustration with this issue is that it is plain to see that many people abuse the system.

When I cruise I regularly get up at 7 and get a run around the track for 3-4 miles.  This takes usually 25-30 minutes.  Often the deck chairs already are half full with towels, towel clips, sandals and a book.  No one is anywhere to be found.  At the end of my run, these are still there and there are still no people there.  So what one sees is a situation where some have chosen to be complete jerks and have zero respect for other people. So here we are.  

I think im just going to sit in an empty chair and if someone returns to claim it within 15 minutes then I know they are within that rule.  If not, they can pick up their stuff and find another lounger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We just got off the Gem on 7/28. They were enforcing the no chair hogging rule. It was great! At 6:30 am all these people sat on the edge of the pool with many towels. As soon as the crew put out the chairs they went and reserved all chairs near the pool. They came back later to find their towels and personal belongings removed and other in those chairs. The crew kept this up the entire cruise all day.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, hladygirl said:

We just got off the Gem on 7/28. They were enforcing the no chair hogging rule. It was great! At 6:30 am all these people sat on the edge of the pool with many towels. As soon as the crew put out the chairs they went and reserved all chairs near the pool. They came back later to find their towels and personal belongings removed and other in those chairs. The crew kept this up the entire cruise all day.

Wonder how many will post complaints here about people touching their stuff??

Edited by RocketMan275

On 7/7/2024 at 5:16 PM, trivia addict said:

What  I do consider a chair hog to be is those  who get up at 7 am, while the family is still sleeping, and  put their belongings on a row of chairs to be used by the family after they get up and have breakfast.  Then they saunter back to the pool around 10am, expecting that their chairs are still there.

This is the definition I use for chair hog.  Chair hogging at its root is a selfish act by the above definition.  I never lounge on the pool deck as chair hogs tend to make for bad neighbors.  I also think if you arrived on the pool deck, find a lounger, then its yours to use as long as you are enjoying the pool deck.  Swimming, drinks, lounging enjoying company are fair game.  This is just my opinion, but I avoid the pool deck like the plague on a NCL ship.  We sail on Oceania and Seabourn as well, and while there are chair hogs, there are always enough loungers on those lines.

• Like 6

On 7/7/2024 at 10:16 AM, trivia addict said:

What  I do consider a chair hog to be is those  who get up at 7 am, while the family is still sleeping, and  put their belongings on a row of chairs to be used by the family after they get up and have breakfast.  Then they saunter back to the pool around 10am, expecting that their chairs are still there.

Some have reported passengers who stake out pool loungers before 7AM by leaving some belongings on the loungers for when they return from having lunch after their shore excursions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Some have reported passengers who stake out pool loungers before 7AM by leaving some belongings on the loungers for when they return from having lunch after their shore excursions.

I have to laugh - off topic but they often talk about "free chair day" in the town near where I live. That would be the day prior to the Strawberry Festival parade. People bring their lawn chairs, line them along the main highway, intending to find them available for watching the parade the following day. They often use a rope to designate family groupings. Not sure how many chairs actually disappear...

Maybe sweeten the pot by adding that if your stuff is collected, you've only got so much time to collect it - then it goes to the highest bidder at the end of the day. A new NCL activity!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Maybe sweeten the pot by adding that if your stuff is collected, you've only got so much time to collect it - then it goes to the highest bidder at the end of the day. A new NCL activity!

and the high bidders won't be able to use non-refundable OBC to pay!!  lol

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, WarfRatWA said:

This is the definition I use for chair hog.  Chair hogging at its root is a selfish act by the above definition.  I never lounge on the pool deck as chair hogs tend to make for bad neighbors.  I also think if you arrived on the pool deck, find a lounger, then its yours to use as long as you are enjoying the pool deck.  Swimming, drinks, lounging enjoying company are fair game.  This is just my opinion, but I avoid the pool deck like the plague on a NCL ship.  We sail on Oceania and Seabourn as well, and while there are chair hogs, there are always enough loungers on those lines.

One cannot be a chair hog if there are plenty of loungers. Aside from the 'at its root' part is selfishness, another root cause is supply and demand.   If I have a number of options to choose from in an area, I don't care how long you sit there.  This is why sometimes 4 pm is the time to go to try to get a chair. Usually the 'take and bake crowd' TM,   has gone in either from a sunburn or to recover from the alcohol. 

Edited by caterpa
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, caterpa said:

One cannot be a chair hog if there are plenty of loungers.

I completely disagree. If you get up early and put stuff on a chair that you’ll use hours later, you are a chair hog. Whether there are a hundred still open chairs remaining or zero, you are hogging that chair.

That’s like saying it’s okay to park in a handicapped parking space if no one is using them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I realize the inconsistency.  I cant say I disagree with you since the intent and selfishness is still there. 

Maybe my take is that I wouldn't ask the staff to do anything about it in my scenario. 

Nowhere have I ever seen a written cruise line policy that a towel on a chair reserves it for an unlimited period.

Simply remove the towel and reposition the chair so that the hog doesn’t know which chair he/she “reserved”. 😉😎

If we don’t push back, it will never stop and folks will still be complaining 10 years from now.

11 hours ago, caterpa said:

One cannot be a chair hog if there are plenty of loungers. Aside from the 'at its root' part is selfishness, another root cause is supply and demand.   If I have a number of options to choose from in an area, I don't care how long you sit there.  This is why sometimes 4 pm is the time to go to try to get a chair. Usually the 'take and bake crowd' TM,   has gone in either from a sunburn or to recover from the alcohol. 

"What  I do consider a chair hog to be is those  who get up at 7 am, while the family is still sleeping, and  put their belongings on a row of chairs to be used by the family after they get up and have breakfast."

Supply has nothing to do with it...if you save a chair for later use and are not physically on the pool deck...that's chair hogging.   

• Like 3

I'm not sure if NCL charges for pool towels not returned by the end of the cruise but if the chair hoggers' towels were removed daily and they had to pay, that might keep them from doing this.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

I'm not sure if NCL charges for pool towels not returned by the end of the cruise but if the chair hoggers' towels were removed daily and they had to pay, that might keep them from doing this.

I think it was a Royal cruise I was on that they clearly stated any beach towels not returned (as in left in the cabin on disembarkation) would have a $25 charge added to their portfolio.

I don't know why this seems to be so difficult.  If you plan on using a lounger, don't be gone long, regardless of reason.  Someone, somewhere will alert the crew (as well they should).  But, don't do it in the first place.  If you can't get a pretty good feel for how long 15 minutes is, 60 minutes is, without a watch, don't park your "stuff" on a lounger.  This is simple stuff.  If you don't want your watch, your book, your phone, your shoes, your towels, etc taken away, do your due diligence and don't leave them at a lounger over about 15 minutes to be safe.  If you have to go eat, go to the "water closet", go chase your kiddies, go yell at a another passenger or crew member, jump in the pool (make sure you're close enough to monitor your "stuff"), either take your stuff with you, or come back later when you plan to stay uninterrupted for a while.

Putting your stuff on a lounger and leaving it there for longer than the cruise lines allow is really irresponsible, not only to your other passengers, but to yourself as you are leaving your "stuff" open for everything to be taken by crew, or worse, but some unscrupulous passengers.  Don't do it.  

Don't go into a tizzy about it and end up as a YouTube video about "Karens".

Common sense.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I think it was a Royal cruise I was on that they clearly stated any beach towels not returned (as in left in the cabin on disembarkation) would have a $25 charge added to their portfolio.

I don't know why this seems to be so difficult.  If you plan on using a lounger, don't be gone long, regardless of reason.  Someone, somewhere will alert the crew (as well they should).  But, don't do it in the first place.  If you can't get a pretty good feel for how long 15 minutes is, 60 minutes is, without a watch, don't park your "stuff" on a lounger.  This is simple stuff.  If you don't want your watch, your book, your phone, your shoes, your towels, etc taken away, do your due diligence and don't leave them at a lounger over about 15 minutes to be safe.  If you have to go eat, go to the "water closet", go chase your kiddies, go yell at a another passenger or crew member, jump in the pool (make sure you're close enough to monitor your "stuff", either take your stuff with you, or come back later when you plan to stay uninterrupted for a while.

Putting your stuff on a lounger and leaving it there for longer than the cruise lines allow is really irresponsible, not only to your other passengers, but to yourself as you are leaving your "stuff" open for everything to be taken by crew, or worse, but some unscrupulous passengers.  Don't do it.  

Don't go into a tizzy about it and end up as a YouTube video about "Karens".

Common sense.

Well said. I have to think that at least one chair hog (probably many more) have had their stuff taken or moved or blown away or…whatever…then promptly complained to management about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wowza...what a stressful topic. 

Here's what I do - when I go to a water park solo (I do) - I'll leave my tshirt, hat, shoes, and phone rolled up into a ball on the ground in an out of the way place. I go enjoy whatever rides I like. When I'm done, I get my ball of junk and find a lounger. Super easy! I've never had anything stolen. 

I like my way. There's no stress. I'll keep on doing it this way, even on a cruise ship. 

24 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Wowza...what a stressful topic. 

Here's what I do - when I go to a water park solo (I do) - I'll leave my tshirt, hat, shoes, and phone rolled up into a ball on the ground in an out of the way place. I go enjoy whatever rides I like. When I'm done, I get my ball of junk and find a lounger. Super easy! I've never had anything stolen. 

I like my way. There's no stress. I'll keep on doing it this way, even on a cruise ship. 

But...if you are off doing whatever, and I want to leave my tshirt, hat, shoes, and phone in an out of the way place, but can't because your ball of stuff is already sitting there, aren't you then an "out of the way place hog"?

• Haha 2