? About ppl reserving deck chairs and Obsv Lounge seats

The most obvious chairhogs are those that assign one person each morning to reserve a line of front row chairs with towels, a book or two, maybe some flipflops...they then retire back to their cabin or for breakfast.  Stragglers start arriving around 9 am, fill 1 -2 chairs, another couple of people show up at 10:30 or 11, and then the teenagers around lunchtime. The first two to arrive usually depart early afternoon, the others mid afternoon and the teenagers just come and go while Mommy saves their spots.   I see it all the time.  We personally get to the pool around 8-8:30 and if there aren't two seats we might be happy with, eyeball these "sets" of saved chairs, figure out which might work for us, and start timing.  I'm happy to eat my breakfast anywhere within sight while I wait.  I especially like the end seats 🙂  At one time, I would wait 45 minutes to an hour and then remove the items myself but those days are long gone....people are much more "dangerous" today, much like the increase in road rage, its an increase in chair rage HAHA.  Glad to hear that I can inform pool attendants of a couple chairs I've been watching and have them deal with these chairhogs.

NCL Guest Conduct Policy

DISCOURTEOUS OR DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR
Pool, deck and theater chairs may not be reserved. Topless sunbathing is not permitted. Boom boxes or loud radios are not permitted. Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, scooters, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized on-board; except for mobility aids related to special needs, as approved by the ship’s management.

“…may not be reserved.”

Not “Wait 30 minutes”, not “You must notify a crew member”, not “Unless you think they’ll be upset”.

Take the chair when you see it, and just return the towel to the shelf.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

The "good" chair hogs usually leave something considered a personal item such a paperback book, etc. 

Edited by EngrJones

I’m surprised it’s allowed in the observation deck on the Alaska cruises. That’s not right. We leave in just over a week, 3rd time to Alaska, but glad we have an extra large balcony. Last time on the encore was right after covid and the ship was very empty. It’s going to be a very different cruise. Lol

2 hours ago, EngrJones said:

The "good" chair hogs usually leave something considered a personal item such a paperback book, etc. 

But if pool chairs can’t be reserved, it really doesn’t matter what they leave.

On 6/26/2024 at 7:54 AM, Calicoskies1234 said:

I’ve only cruised once previously, so please excuse my asking of a silly question. In reading reviews of the Encore many ppl claim that ppl will hold seats for hours just by laying a towel there, even in Obsv Lounge. If I’m there and I don’t see anyone come in the 5-10 min I’m looking for a seat why can’t I just remove the towel or item and sit? Is this going to provoke a fist fight? If someone just went to get food/drink/restroom ok, but if they are gone long periods it seems silly no one can sit there. I’m not looking for confrontation, just fairness in everyone getting seats sometimes. 

You should NEVER touch items that are not yours.  5-10 minutes is nowhere near enough time to worry about what someone else is or may be doing.  For instance one may well have gotten up to go get medications from their cabin that they forgot to bring to the lounger in question.  If you think someone is abusing chair use you should bring it to the attention of a crew member to deal with.  It is not your (or my) place to move belongings that are not yours at any time.

3 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

But if pool chairs can’t be reserved, it really doesn’t matter what they leave.

So if someone is using a chair and decide to jump into the pool for a bit you think you have the right to move their belongings...  WOW

6 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

NCL Guest Conduct Policy

Pool, deck and theater chairs may not be reserved. Topless sunbathing is not permitted. Boom boxes or loud radios are not permitted. Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, scooters, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized on-board; except for mobility aids related to special needs, as approved by the ship’s management.

“…may not be reserved.”

Not “Wait 30 minutes”, not “You must notify a crew member”, not “Unless you think they’ll be upset”.

Notice they never define what reseved means.  Just because a butt is not in the chair when you happen to walk by does not mean it being served.  There are many valid reasons one may be away from the chair in question, many of which can take longer than a mere 5-10 minutes.  One should not assume that another passenger is violating any rules in order to justify doing whatever they want to do.

Oh, c’mon!  Seriously…

Someone gets up at 6:00 and blocks an entire bank of poolside deck chairs with flotsam while they sleep in, enjoy breakfast, vs someone who selects a chair at 9:00 and then has to pee at 9:30.

You really don’t know who the CHOG is?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiser1961 said:

Oh, c’mon!  Seriously…

Someone gets up at 6:00 and blocks an entire bank of poolside deck chairs with flotsam while they sleep in, enjoy breakfast, vs someone who selects a chair at 9:00 and then has to pee at 9:30.

The post specifically asked about a single chair being empty 5-10 minutes.  People responded telling them to just move things that are not theirs.  Those people are the ones who do not understand.  In either case no one should ever touch things that are not theirs.  If someone believes another passenger is violating any rule the correct course of action is to bring it to the attention of a crew member.  Following the (il)logic of those replies, if a non-smoker sees someone smoking where it is not allowed they ought to grab the cigarette out of the smokers mouth an put it out.  Try that and tell us how it works out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

So if someone is using a chair and decide to jump into the pool for a bit you think you have the right to move their belongings...  WOW

You have a very unusual perspective on the issue.

Chair hogs are people who leave an item on a chair early in the day to “reserve” the chair for later- like a clean, folded ship’s towel.

No one is suggesting you have any power to “evict” someone that is using the chair.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, cruiser1961 said:

Oh, c’mon!  Seriously…

And when you walk onto the pool deck at 9:35, how exactly do you know which chair have been reserved since 6:00 and which was reserved at 9:00? How exactly do you know which person is in the bathroom, and which is not? What exactly is it that draws your focus to these particular chairs? Can't you simply sit somewhere else?

51 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

You have a very unusual perspective on the issue.

Chair hogs are people who leave an item on a chair early in the day to “reserve” the chair for later- like a clean, folded ship’s towel.

No one is suggesting you have any power to “evict” someone that is using the chair.

And how do you know that someone left an item on the chair "early in the day" vs 5 min before you showed up?

IMHO, the real problem here isn't people using chairs, it is the self-important karens who seemingly have nothing better to do than run around trying to use a policy as a kudgel to control what other people do. Why exactly do these people think they've been deputized into the chair police force? It is this same attitude that causes people to hate their HOA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

Following the (il)logic of those replies, if a non-smoker sees someone smoking where it is not allowed they ought to grab the cigarette out of the smokers mouth a put it out.  Try that and tell us how it works out.

This sounds more entertaining to me than any of the shows offered on the entire NCL fleet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

Following the (il)logic of those replies, if a non-smoker sees someone smoking where it is not allowed they ought to grab the cigarette out of the smokers mouth an put it out.

There are a couple of folks on this board who would do this.

Doesn't matter whose "stuff" is in the chair, or the reason it's saved but not occupied, if it's unoccupied for 15 minutes or so, move it to the attendant's kiosk, or have them remove it.  Who removes it doesn't matter either.  I know I've removed "saved" items and given them to an attendant on numerous occasions.  Not my stuff.  Doesn't belong on the lounger, chair, etc if you're not there for a period of time.  Don't want to leave it on the ground once I remove it. So, I give it to the attendants.

Point is, if you're at breakfast, lunch, dinner, the restroom, the pool, at a bar hanging out, etc, you are not occupying the lounger, be it in the pool or the Observation Lounge,  NCL has put the time frame on how long you can be gone.  I've seen 15 minutes publicized.  Others claim it's an hour.  Either way, if you're not in it, you don't get to save it.

Why is this difficult?

Don't do it.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

Notice they never define what reseved means.  Just because a butt is not in the chair when you happen to walk by does not mean it being served.  There are many valid reasons one may be away from the chair in question, many of which can take longer than a mere 5-10 minutes.  One should not assume that another passenger is violating any rules in order to justify doing whatever they want to do.

Why should one assume they have the right to violate rules about reserving chairs just because they want to?

44 minutes ago, Calicoskies1234 said:

After reading this thread, I’ve decided I don’t want to be anywhere near the deck with the pool, pool chairs or any of the people up there. 

This just might be the safest option! I can count on one finger the number of times I've actually spent time "lounging" on a pool deck. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Don't want to leave it on the ground once I remove it

and yet, if I decide I want to go in the pool for more than 15 minutes at a clip this is exactly where some want me to put my stuff myself so I'm not 'hogging' a chair!

Edited by hallux

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Doesn't matter whose "stuff" is in the chair, or the reason it's saved but not occupied, if it's unoccupied for 15 minutes or so, move it to the attendant's kiosk, or have them remove it.  Who removes it doesn't matter either.  I know I've removed "saved" items and given them to an attendant on numerous occasions.  Not my stuff.  Doesn't belong on the lounger, chair, etc if you're not there for a period of time.  Don't want to leave it on the ground once I remove it. So, I give it to the attendants.

Point is, if you're at breakfast, lunch, dinner, the restroom, the pool, at a bar hanging out, etc, you are not occupying the lounger, be it in the pool or the Observation Lounge,  NCL has put the time frame on how long you can be gone.  I've seen 15 minutes publicized.  Others claim it's an hour.  Either way, if you're not in it, you don't get to save it.

Why is this difficult?

Don't do it.  

To repeat:

NCL Guest Conduct Policy

Pool, deck and theater chairs may not be reserved. Topless sunbathing is not permitted. Boom boxes or loud radios are not permitted. Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, scooters, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized on-board; except for mobility aids related to special needs, as approved by the ship’s management

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

To repeat:

NCL Guest Conduct Policy

Pool, deck and theater chairs may not be reserved. Topless sunbathing is not permitted. Boom boxes or loud radios are not permitted. Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, scooters, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized on-board; except for mobility aids related to special needs, as approved by the ship’s management

Waiving NCL's policy around at every turn really isn't helpful. The policy is one thing, however, it isn't up to you (or me) to monitor and/or enforce the policy. None of us can self-appoint to the chair police.

2 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Waiving NCL's policy around at every turn really isn't helpful. The policy is one thing, however, it isn't up to you (or me) to monitor and/or enforce the policy. None of us can self-appoint to the chair police.

Previous poster wasn’t sure if 15 minutes or 1 hour was the appropriate time to wait before acting.

I was pointing out there is no wait time involved.

What we CAN do is use a self-help solution - use the chair.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Calicoskies1234 said:

After reading this thread, I’ve decided I don’t want to be anywhere near the deck with the pool, pool chairs or any of the people up there. 

I have a pool at home (that nobody pees in), but it is nice to relax on a deck chair on a sea day for an hour or so. Well, if there is one.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I was pointing out there is no wait time involved.

It depends on how NCL interprets "reserved" vs "unattended". 

If a chair is left unattended for 10 minutes, nothing should be moved by anyone. Sometimes, it can be left unattended for 20 minutes. Sometimes, it can be left unattended for 50 minutes. 

Reserved might refer to (for ex.) 1 person trying to leave 4 chairs unattended. In that case 3 chairs should be available to everyone even if the 1 person doesn't leave. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Thanks 2