Price changes - June 2024

TheKDH

19 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

One could have 1 alcohol based drink a day and still end up with up charges even if they otherwise don't need/use the drink package for alcohol.  That is very frustrating.

Exactly. And the fact that it has cost over £1000 a night for me and likely many others before all the excursions, gratuities, laundry etcetera, it would be nice to at least be able to enjoy the signature drink range without even more charges or asking for a different menu to see what is without charge.

The principle is criminal. I'd just like to enjoy my holiday at this kind of price point. 

47 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

One could have 1 alcohol based drink a day and still end up with up charges even if they otherwise don't need/use the drink package for alcohol.  That is very frustrating.

This has always been the case. There always were alcohol-based drinks that were up over the Price limit of the packages. For example drinks in the world class bar.

2 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

This has always been the case. There always were alcohol-based drinks that were up over the Price limit of the packages. For example drinks in the world class bar.

Yes, I think the point is that there seems to be more and more that are above the package limits.  I don’t have first hand recent experience with this.

4 hours ago, TheKDH said:

Hi

I go on my first cruise ever with celebrity in November. We have booked sky suite so have access to Luminae. 

Today, I have spotted a new menu for luminae on YT. Cocktails are now $18 and the chardonnay has gone from $16 a glass to $30!! A glass.

I understand that premium package is up to and including drinks to the value of $17. So this now means that no cocktails, nor wine will be covered in luminae despite having the premium drinks package and an upcharge of difference plus 20%?

no, there are plenty of cocktails and plenty of wines that are under the limit. You are looking at the signature, cocktails, and special wines.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

I’m seeing many  posts from Ps X” just booked “ and reports from those on board now that the numbers are increasing. 
In a couple of months ships will be returning from Europe and that’s when the I suspect the numbers will increase. 
The Zenith perks are very attractive and IMHO Celebrity has a better product.  

I just looked at the zenith perks on the app.  What is a "Complimentary Premium Drink Package upgrade (pre-cruise purchase only)"?  And below that "Complimentary Drink Package?"  Doesn't say complimentary premium package.

Screenshot_20240627_133629_Celebrity.thumb.jpg.dfabd4b964ac30e41e482e668d7f83ac.jpg

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Cruises out of the UK have always shown a higher price as those prices include the mandatory gratuity instead of it being added on at the point of sale like cruises out of the US.  

Any chance that this change is related to the new California pricing transparency law (i.e., requiring tips and other fees to be included in the advertized prices)? In other words, matching what is already happening for UK cruises. RCI has said that it will be following the new law - perhaps that includes the drink menus.

Edited by BytownMatt
clarity

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

I know that but in what circumstance would any zenith have a prepurchase upgrade?

Well prior to the cruise receipt are sent for the WiFi and the drinks package. Both with a zero cost.  So they mimic a purchase even though they are benefits.  Maybe it has to do with how that is calculated and applied for in Celebrity’s bookkeeping system.

This is probably just a special cocktail menu for Luminea. You can probably order drinks that will fall under either classic or premium packages. They usually have a Signature cocktail menu that is unique to a particular venue that will require an up charge.  None of those cocktails appeal to me as they all look like they are sweetened with simple syrup or some fruit juice. Give me a straight up dry Vodka Martini or a Rye Manhattan. Syrup, juice or soda just contaminates the liquor.

• Like 2

Oh FFS, I don't mind shelling out money for whatever room/itinerary/package I desire. When I pay to be in the Retreat, that is advertised as an all-inclusive deal with the premium beverage package, I do expect to NOT be nickel and dimed. Nothing annoys me more on a cruise than constant upcharges. The extra dollar+ charge is a petty move and will surely leave a bad taste when cruisers sit down to dinner in Luminae and discover they have to pay an $1.20 for a weak specialty cocktail that should already be included in the package. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BytownMatt said:

Any chance that this change is related to the new California pricing transparency law (i.e., requiring tips and other fees to be included in the advertized prices)? In other words, matching what is already happening for UK cruises. RCI has said that it will be following the new law - perhaps that includes the drink menus.

Doubtful as the I am booked on is currently sailing on the Caribbean not out of or into CA.

56 minutes ago, keysey222 said:

Oh FFS, I don't mind shelling out money for whatever room/itinerary/package I desire. When I pay to be in the Retreat, that is advertised as an all-inclusive deal with the premium beverage package, I do expect to NOT be nickel and dimed. Nothing annoys me more on a cruise than constant upcharges. The extra dollar+ charge is a petty move and will surely leave a bad taste when cruisers sit down to dinner in Luminae and discover they have to pay an $1.20 for a weak specialty cocktail that should already be included in the package. 

I feel that I am starting to be unreasonable in my expectations but like you have said, I don't mind paying more if I really want something but the fact that the new menu has purposefully added a dollar above the price to be included for cocktails does not sit well in principle. Yes, they are probably overcharged and sweet as but as a first time cruiser and first time X it would have just been nice to experience the menu without worry. I still can't comprehend the change in the same wine being $16 last month a glass and now $30 a glass. 

I don't want go be a grump but our total for this trip is approaching £30K with cruise, flights, accommodation and extras so far. Still have the visas to pay for and this has just come as an added blow for us.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Doubtful as the I am booked on is currently sailing on the Caribbean not out of or into CA.

Royal Caribbean Group is changing its pricing more generally (not just for California cruises) but it's unclear whether this extends to drink prices. I didn't have any upcharges on some of the drinks listed here (e.g., Decoy) on the Silhouette earlier this month but obviously this could be a very recent change. If it is indeed another broad price hike, that would be disappointing.Consumer_Pricing_FAQs.pdf.

58 minutes ago, TheKDH said:

I feel that I am starting to be unreasonable in my expectations but like you have said, I don't mind paying more if I really want something but the fact that the new menu has purposefully added a dollar above the price to be included for cocktails does not sit well in principle. Yes, they are probably overcharged and sweet as but as a first time cruiser and first time X it would have just been nice to experience the menu without worry. I still can't comprehend the change in the same wine being $16 last month a glass and now $30 a glass. 

I don't want go be a grump but our total for this trip is approaching £30K with cruise, flights, accommodation and extras so far. Still have the visas to pay for and this has just come as an added blow for us.

You might be overthinking this. There are always things on a cruise ship which cost extra, no matter what kind of an “ all inclusive package” You may have booked. There are specialty restaurants, there are full bottles of wine, there are tastings of all kinds, there are spa services, and the list goes on. Enjoy the things within your package and pass the others by.

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Well prior to the cruise receipt are sent for the WiFi and the drinks package. Both with a zero cost.  So they mimic a purchase even though they are benefits.  Maybe it has to do with how that is calculated and applied for in Celebrity’s bookkeeping system.

Interesting.  We have not been sent a receipt for either the complimentary beverage package or Wi-Fi.  The booking confirmation shows a cruise only rate ( for a suite Zenith rate).  Then 5-10 days after the booking hits the system the beverage package and wi-fi show up Order History.

31 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

ticks me off. We were in Retreat in March and enjoyed Villa Maria - which is what we drink at home.  No upcharge

Same for DH in April  but, with X, things  change frequently and then change again a week or 2 later.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Cruises out of the UK have always shown a higher price as those prices include the mandatory gratuity instead of it being added on at the point of sale like cruises out of the US.  

The Premium Drink Package will cover the Luminae Signature Cocktails. 

Gratuities are not mandatory here in the UK .When booking online we have the option to add them with a ‘ check box’ at the point of sale .( personally speaking we always add them )