Dining room dress code

DB2VA

2 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Oh I know, but it’ll look sharp so he’ll be wearing one on the two chic nights.  If I’m wearing a dress he’s wearing a tie (we do enjoy getting dressed to so it’s all good.)

We enjoy getting dressed?

Not the impression you gave in your original post in which you said "he'll wear whatever is provided". Or in my case what is approved by the Boss (Anita) 🤣😂

2 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

Here's the thing about this endless circular topic, it doesn't take long for the pitch fork mob to start saying "go somewhere else if you don't like the rules" or the tired trope of "just put your big boy pants on and follow the rules".  However, it has been my experience, thankfully, that the people who comment on this site are usually not representative of the typical Celebrity customer.

Why is it that accountability for maintaining decorum in the MDR only rests with the men on board?  I've seen many women wear a dress or skirt so short that it barely qualifies as an article of clothing, yet no one bats an eye.  But let a man show a little knee below his "dress shorts" and the hysteria around how this will be the start of anarchy in the dining room is over the top. It's the hypocrisy of this double standard that is the most galling.

If you’re going to tell the rest of us to stop complaining, then you don’t get to complain either.  Maybe the dress code on board should be bell bottoms and long hair for men and women.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

What about parachute pants?

What annoys me the most about the internet is when people ask a question they already know the answer to.  

Of course we’d have parachute pants in the dress code.  And red leather jackets are required with white gloves for both men and women.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, doghog said:

Bottom line, it doesn't matter what others opinions here are on CC. Only the staff member at the entrance to the MDR has the call what's allowed if she/he elects to do so. I'd like to say I've never heard anyone on a ship make a comment out loud what others are wearing, but have! 

I agree completely. I have been on the opposite side of this “argument”.  I enjoy dressing for dinner every night on a cruise. It’s part of the experience FOR ME.  I have literally been ridiculed for “trying too hard” or asked “where do you think you’re going?” by strangers in the elevator, so clearly it works both ways when it comes to people having strong opinions about what others wear.

i think this horse has been beaten enough - till the next time someone asks about it.  We are all on vacation.  Wear whatever you want but don’t be surprised if you are asked to change or shocked if people have an opinion.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What annoys me the most about the internet is when people ask a question they already know the answer to.  

Of course we’d have parachute pants in the dress code.  And red leather jackets are required with white gloves for both men and women.

Just because I know the answer to the question, does not mean that I know that you know the answer to the question.

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How do I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know?

Because you know that she knows that you know that she knows that you know that she knows.  That's how. 

Edited by DaKahuna

What I find interesting is the concept that anything other than resort casual is 'anachronistic'.  Looking back through some decades, and even centuries, it's been a very slow devolution to the minimalist in attire, corresponding to other changes in social norms over the same period.  I suppose our great-grandchildren will all think we were crazy for not taking time to enjoy Bliss cruises when we had the chance, rather than wasting so much time on laundry and packing.

25 minutes ago, XennG said:

Does anyone have insight on enforcement of dinner footwear? Can we get by with dark sneakers or do we need to bring dress shoes?

Yes.  I got by with dark sneakers.

I did not want to bring two pairs of shoes.  So I brought some Saucony running shoes that were black and the soles were black also.  No one noticed or cared.  I did wear nice looking travel pants and a dress shirt.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, chefchick said:

i think this horse has been beaten enough - till the next time someone asks about it.  We are all on vacation.  Wear whatever you want but don’t be surprised if you are asked to change or shocked if people have an opinion.

This thread is just barely getting started 🤣

Is this your first time on cruise critic?😁

Previous threads have had 20 or more pages.  Some were defining what a polo shirt was.  😆

Edited by NMTraveller

22 minutes ago, XennG said:

Does anyone have insight on enforcement of dinner footwear? Can we get by with dark sneakers or do we need to bring dress shoes?

I am sure dark sneakers would be just fine.  I have seen people wearing them.  I am thinking of doing the same to get me down to two pair of shoes from my current three pair. 

On 6/28/2024 at 5:04 PM, Charles4515 said:

I have had tablemates a couple of times who I didn't know were wearing shorts until they stood up. That made me  realize it didn't matter. I am not going to look under the table to see what either men or women are wearing.

This has to be one of the best comments I’ve read in a very long time on the subject!  Do I follow the critical rules?  Yes.  Does it bother me if someone else doesn’t?  Nope.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bradpole said:

This has to be one of the best comments I’ve read in a very long time on the subject!  Do I follow the critical rules?  Yes.  Does it bother me if someone else doesn’t?  Nope.  

So the rule should be that you don’t have to follow the rules if *I* say you don’t?  How about we let the staff enforce the rules?  

About shoes… Hush Puppy makes many dress shoes and loafers that you can walk a mile in.  I have a pair.  I’ve bought them for 10-20 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradpole said:

Now we can get into a discussion on what is a ‘critical rule’!

Dress code? I dont really look through the dining crowd in order to judge, but I also dont really enjoy the guy walking in wearing his ‘dress’ shorts - yeah, right. But not a biggie, just reflects on him…..and 99% of these dress posts focus on us guys - mainly because so many of us guys never got beyond our teen years. Helps me identify who is someone I’ll not get into any discussions with. 

But then there is the sneaking booze. Biggie? Yup, to the Line trying to make a buck, and to us who dont want to pay higher costs because some couple just cant keep from cheating.

Or my favorite for women: i cant live if someone saw one wrinkle in my outfit so I sneak my iron - what harm is that. Being an old Navyman and having fought more than a few shipboard fires and lost more mattes to them than combat, that is a Critical Rule. But there are many who ignore it. 

And many others that drive each of us crazy - or we come up with some excuse to ignore.

Thought Id add these so we can get 100+ more posts!!

Den