Transfer from Melbourne port to car rental pick up recommendations

scrstu

We are a group of 4 going on a cruise that ends in Melbourne. We have a few days planned post cruise to drive along the Great Ocean Road and so are heading from the port to pick up our rental car. Would the easiest thing be to have someone take a taxi (or Uber) to get the car and return for the rest along with the luggage? Book a transfer for all to stay together to get to the car?  Our TA has something for that option for $122US but if we could do it the other way without too much hassle, we may try that. If you've done such a thing, please let me know what worked (or didn't work).

Thanks, Cindi

We have done the taxi from the port to Hertz to pick up a car, it's a short trip.

But at that time they were not well staffed, and it took ages to get the car.

People waiting may need a place to wait comfortably.

9 hours ago, scrstu said:

We are a group of 4 going on a cruise that ends in Melbourne. We have a few days planned post cruise to drive along the Great Ocean Road and so are heading from the port to pick up our rental car. Would the easiest thing be to have someone take a taxi (or Uber) to get the car and return for the rest along with the luggage? Book a transfer for all to stay together to get to the car?  Our TA has something for that option for $122US but if we could do it the other way without too much hassle, we may try that. If you've done such a thing, please let me know what worked (or didn't work).

Thanks, Cindi

In my opinion, US$122 seems far too high. I suggest you check on line for an estimate of the taxi fare to the car rental agency. I am sure it will be only a fraction of AUD$190 (estimate on currency exchange).

27 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

In my opinion, US$122 seems far too high. I suggest you check on line for an estimate of the taxi fare to the car rental agency. I am sure it will be only a fraction of AUD$190 (estimate on currency exchange).

I agree, for that price it would likely be for a chauffeured hire car, likely a Merc or Ford LTD - in US terms, a town car. It would be a very expensive option for a short transfer.

Port Melbourne is on the opposite side of the city to the direction you need to go to reach the Great Ocean Road.  If you want to stay together and save time not going back to the port to pick up the rest of your party, you could book a maxi taxi. It will hold four people and luggage.  Station Pier, Port Melbourne is only a short taxi ride into the central city. All the major taxi companies in Melbourne have the option of maxi taxis.

Are you planning to spend the first night in Melbourne before you go on your trip along the GOR? Parking a big car overnight in the city will be difficult and expensive. As an alternative, you could pick up the car and drive as far as Geelong the first day. This regional city is an easy drive from Melbourne and directly on your way to the start of the GOR.

It depends on which location you’re planning to pick up the car from.  If it is the South Melbourne location, I would suggest one or two of you catch the tram from the pier to the Montague St stop (3 stops).  Walk to Thistlewaite St, 2 short blocks, then drive back to the pier to pick up the others.  This will be about a 10 minute drive.

• Like 1

Thanks all. You've confirmed our thoughts on the price of the transfer and given some very good alternatives. We are not staying in Melbourne until the night before our flight out so have booked a couple of hotels along OGR so we can enjoy the loop. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, scrstu said:

Thanks all. You've confirmed our thoughts on the price of the transfer and given some very good alternatives. We are not staying in Melbourne until the night before our flight out so have booked a couple of hotels along OGR so we can enjoy the loop. 

It is great to hear that you guys are taking the time for a leisurely drive, rather than "doing" the GOR in a day. Lots to see and you can spend as much (or little) time at places.

If not already on the schedule, make sure you visit Cape Otway. A lovely lighthouse to climb up and great views.

• Like 1

Firstly  we  are Melbourne couple, so have driven the great ocean road a number of times.

Love it and recommend it.  Dont be afraid to get out and look even if the weather is bad.  I find the sea takes on it own character when the wind is blowing etc

Just a heads up in case you have not driven here before.  We drive on the opposite side of the road here and the Great Ocean Road  winds along the coast.  So always good to have in  the other front seat a  passenger who also drives. As they can help advise/remind you of the right side to be on .

Have a great trip and enjoy.

• Haha 1

PS  I would book an Uber.   Tram idea is good. But then you have to navigate yourself and wity cruise ship crowd might be a rather crowded tram.

If you book an Uber then it will be waiting there for you.  Not sure how many Taxi's might be available  with so many on a cruise ship.

If the USA uber app wont let you book Australia , just load the Australian one.

Then when your about to disembark book the Uber, that way you know the timing etc

On 6/29/2024 at 1:05 PM, cruiser3775 said:

Port Melbourne is on the opposite side of the city to the direction you need to go to reach the Great Ocean Road.  If you want to stay together and save time not going back to the port to pick up the rest of your party, you could book a maxi taxi. It will hold four people and luggage.  Station Pier, Port Melbourne is only a short taxi ride into the central city. All the major taxi companies in Melbourne have the option of maxi taxis.

Are you planning to spend the first night in Melbourne before you go on your trip along the GOR? Parking a big car overnight in the city will be difficult and expensive. As an alternative, you could pick up the car and drive as far as Geelong the first day. This regional city is an easy drive from Melbourne and directly on your way to the start of the GOR.

Port Melbourne is just moments from an on-ramp of the Westgate Bridge - perfectly positioned for the start of a trip along the GOR.  I second the recommendation of nearby Hertz South Melbourne - either as a group or go back to port to pick up your friends, it's only a few minutes away then a few minutes more to the start of the Bridge, from there it's all freeway until you reach the coast.  This will avoid the need to drive through or around the Melbourne CBD, which is a congested maze of one way streets, malls, trams and the unique Melbourne hook turns, not recommended to out of towners fresh off the boat!  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, clairebearinaus said:

I just want to add, since you're getting conflicting advice @scrstu, that I am a local of Port/South Melbourne, so do feel qualified to advise you on this!

I agree Claire, travelling from a bayside suburb, we use Beach Rd/Brighton Rd/Jacka Blvd/Beaconsfield Pde/Beach St/The Blvd/Todd Rd around onto the Westgate Bridge/Freeway regularly. 

If the OP and their group all travel to Hertz, the Montague Street exit onto the Westgate is probably easier to use for them.

Edited by possum52