Greenland cruise

I’ve just boarded Nieuw Statendam in Copenhagen for my cruise to Iceland and Greenland, only to be told that the cruise won’t, in fact, go anywhere near Greenland.

The whole itinerary has been changed and 4 of the originals ports have been cancelled. I understand this is due to weather conditions but it really SUCKS. I would never have booked a cruise with the revised itinerary. 

Is this a normal occurrence? Does the cruise line offer no compensation in a situation like this? Where can I complain (other than this forum)?

😭😭😭😭

Posted (edited)

It says it in your cruise contract. If it's because of weather are you willing to gamble that nothing will go bad if Holland doesn't cancel those ports? 

How about the 

Crew  they have family, this is how they earn a living 

Guest Entertainment 

Other guests besides you on the ship 

The ship is worth $$$$$

The next cruise after yours

If there is a place in the World you really want to see, and will be upset if a Cruise ship skipped those ports, don't take a cruise to see that place. Fly in. There are places in the world that a cruise ship might have problems getting guest there. It happens often.

Sorry you didn't know this.

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mother Nature always has the final say. There has been reports on other parts of Cruise Critic that sea ice is a particular issue this year around Greenland. What is your safety worth?

You will get any port fees back. You may get some other on board credits or other compensation, but it won't be huge. 

Do you want to complain to the Courts or the Government or the Better Business Bureau over something that NOBODY has any control of?

What is it that you think HAL should do? (I know that your likely solution is probably not going to be realistic.)

Thanks for your reply. This is what I was asking: is it usual to receive some kind of compensation? I am not saying they should cruise where it is not safe but this was supposed to be a very special cruise for me for which I saved a lot of money. Now I am getting an itinerary which I am not really interested in at all.

Zuiderdam's cruise to Greenland just ended at IJmuiden.  We were unable to penetrate the ice fields blocking the southern ports.  Compensation of $100 per person was given.

We were able to get into an isolated fjord for picture-taking of an abandoned mining village and fjord scenery.

The same storm came with us from Greenland to Scotland.  A gale kept us out of Stornoway for a most of a day; we got in when it calmed, but Portree had to be dropped.

The North Atlantic can be a ***** at any time of year.

• Like 3

Greenland is often impacted by sea ice. On a recent cruise the pax were compensated with a nice package to soften the blow.  If I recall correctly all port fees were returned, a modest extra OBC offered and a 10% discount on future cruises.  Many cruise ships are now going to Greenland in early summer, I think early to mid August is a better choice.  I think the lines should reevaluate these early arrivals 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@BunnyHatgis  I’m so sorry this has happened. I certainly understand your disappointment as I too would have been disappointed to miss the opportunity to see Greenland. Frequent cruisers are very aware that missed ports occur for a number of reasons. While some form of compensation would be nice to go toward a future cruise, there is no obligation to do so, and I’m sure you will agree safety trumps all!

I hope you are able to put this setback aside and enjoy the remainder of your wonderful cruise. 

I’m onboard just now. We are still going to Alesund but the rest of the cruise has been completely changed. It’s a shame because I really wanted to see Greenland but as far as I’m concerned it’s safety first. We have had a couple of announcements from the captain explaining the situation. It has been a warm summer which has meant more floating ice than expected and he was advised by the authorities in Greenland that it wouldn’t be safe to go there. I intend to make the best of it and enjoy my cruise anyway. 

IMG_6652.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The past week or so seems to have a lot of ships doing “alternate” things in Greenland, some of which are ice-capable expedition ships.

i had an expedition in 2021 that was, ironically, switched to an all-Iceland trip due to lack of ice in eastern Greenland (still in Covid restrictions, Greenland disallowed landing an no ice offshore to play in).  We were thoroughly disappointed, but enjoyed all of the unexpected Iceland ports immensely (no compensation offered/given).

been following several other boards’ Greenland topics (scheduled on one within a few weeks) a lot of people saying they have had changes due to ice and wind.  I think it’s the luck of the draw on timing there this year .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BunnyHatgis said:

I’ve just boarded Nieuw Statendam in Copenhagen for my cruise to Iceland and Greenland, only to be told that the cruise won’t, in fact, go anywhere near Greenland.

The whole itinerary has been changed and 4 of the originals ports have been cancelled. I understand this is due to weather conditions but it really SUCKS. I would never have booked a cruise with the revised itinerary. 

Is this a normal occurrence? Does the cruise line offer no compensation in a situation like this? Where can I complain (other than this forum)?

😭😭😭😭

That happened to me on my 21 day Panama canal cruise this year. They canceled the Panama canal and a lot of the other ports that I wanted to see. I thought about canceling but I didn't. But there was no compensation. At least I didn't get any. It really was my choice to stay. I guess I could have canceled so I'm not really looking for compensation.

1 minute ago, shadow 123 said:

That happened to me on my 21 day Panama canal cruise this year. They canceled the Panama canal and a lot of the other ports that I wanted to see. I thought about canceling but I didn't. But there was no compensation. At least I didn't get any. It really was my choice to stay. I guess I could have canceled so I'm not really looking for compensation.

That’s unfortunate,  the canal is now at normal levels.  Last year the levels were quite low. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That’s unfortunate,  the canal is now at normal levels.  Last year the levels were quite low. 

I wonder why they canceled. If the levels are OK now the trip isn't until October of this year. As far as I know there was no explanation given but we were notified At least 6 or 7 months prior so I really don't have a complaint other than I really wanted to see the Panama canal.  Oh well, maybe next year. But I'm still going this year to the Caribbean for the 21 days. I didn't cancel

Edited by shadow 123
  • Like 1

We are currently on the Viking Mars.  We had 2 scheduled ports in Greenland and did not make either of them.  Viking has been sailing this itinerary for 2 years and to my understanding has never made any ports in Greenland this early in the season.  My question is why include ports that you are highly unlikely to make, resulting in unhappy passengers?

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, slewis7 said:

We are currently on the Viking Mars.  We had 2 scheduled ports in Greenland and did not make either of them.  Viking has been sailing this itinerary for 2 years and to my understanding has never made any ports in Greenland this early in the season.  My question is why include ports that you are highly unlikely to make, resulting in unhappy passengers?

I think the demand is so high the lines are to put it charitably “trying to accommodate all customers”.  We actually had an Alaskan voyage scheduled for June but it was so crowded there the line asked for volunteers to move and we moved to Iceland for the active volcanos. 

as a speculation, maybe it is also because so many people have moved south in the past 5 years that many are now looking for a cool clime for vacation.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, slewis7 said:

Seems to me the primary destination is Iceland.  Perhaps Viking has included the two Greenland locations as 'let's have a look on the way by' stops.  I suppose Viking could drop these locations from the itinerary and try to include additional Iceland stops for at least late June; I don't know whether that's a practical option and it would eliminate any possibility of a Greenland stop.

We are on Viking Star in the fog looking for our alternative port of Paamiut.  The captain says if the fog lifts enough so we can see Greenland, we will turn around and head for Iceland to make our next port in time.  A bit of a disappointment, but the captain is always right.  It turns out that cruise ships rarely make the Greenland ports before August:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/cruises-to-greenland-what-to-know-before-you-go

• Like 3

The issue here is that the demand for Iceland and Greenland is booming, so the cruise lines are trying to capitalize on that. Just like in Alaska and South America, the "season" expands to try to capture the demand. There are some risks in not making those ports, or having poor conditions. Typically those borderline season cruises are cheaper, to attract the crowds. 

Look over on the Alaska board at the dozens of threads about how the weather is in Alaska in April or October.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slewis7 said:

Good question but I am sure they do so for marketing and bookings and I guess only if one does much research or have a very good agent that would call this risk to your attention and recommend a later in the season sailing.  Cruise lines want to fill ships..Greenland is a draw right now...as with anything up to the buyer to really do the research.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Good question but I am sure they do so for marketing and bookings and I guess only if one does much research or have a very good agent that would call this risk to your attention and recommend a later in the season sailing.  Cruise lines want to fill ships..Greenland is a draw right now...as with anything up to the buyer to really do the research.

I absolutely agree.  While I think Viking is doing a real disservice to their passengers in offering this itinerary so early in the summer, I became aware of the risks last year and engaged in some wishful thinking in not moving our booking.  I regret that now.

I have brought the issue to my travel agent’s attention now.  One can only hope she will make future clients aware of the risks.

On the same cruise. I understand the safety issue but they could've let people know as soon as they knew about the situation. And since they knew Greenland wasn't a possibility well before the cruise started, it would've been fair to let customers know this in advance. 

• Like 1

Hey. I am currently in the same cruise and if want to share information let me know.  Maybe cabin number or place to meet up in some point. Not sure I can help but who knows. We are also very disappointed how Holland cruise handled everything so far

1 hour ago, Cruisehoppers78 said:

On the same cruise. I understand the safety issue but they could've let people know as soon as they knew about the situation. And since they knew Greenland wasn't a possibility well before the cruise started, it would've been fair to let customers know this in advance. 

The situation can change in a relatively short time, so how far in advance they know varies.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cruisecaptain55 said:

Hey. I am currently in the same cruise and if want to share information let me know.  Maybe cabin number or place to meet up in some point. Not sure I can help but who knows. We are also very disappointed how Holland cruise handled everything so far

This is not unique to HAL. Other cruise lines are having the same issues as the push to more and more sailings continues.  It is not only Greenland either.  We, as travelers, need to do our fair share to educate ourselves also. 

• Like 3

On 6/30/2024 at 10:39 AM, StLouisCruisers said:

We’ve made it to Greenland ports twice before in August, two different cruise lines. I guess we should all be watching for that month before making bookings. 

Same here. We made it twice to Greenland ,2 different cruise ships but mine were in July.  2 different cruise ships but both were with HAL.