Eating "healthy" on CCL?

havanadaydreaming

Anyone have tips on eating somewhat healthy on Carnival? 

Are buffet dishes made from scratch? 

I think im about to turn a corner on mah diet.  Growing older but not up was a lifestyle for decades but....gonna try to eat more whole foods moving forward. Fruits, veggies and stuff without preservatives and chemicals. 

That elimates foo foo drinks with soda/sugar added.  Ill stick with sipping bourbon. Mezcal. Beer.  And maybe ill finally embrace wine. 

There is no problem with eating healthy on board.  Menu items are clearly marked as health concious picks, gluten free, vegetarian, etc.  Bourbon has a high sugar content and beer is full of carbs.  just sayin 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, wrcjr98 said:

There is always a salad bar at the Lido at lunch and at dinner, with a carved meat selection, and fresh fruit as well!  We chose not to go to the main dining room, as it took too long.  

That sounds like what my DW likes as she says she likes to make her own salad. Also, she does not like people serving her.

I have no problem with eating like I normally do everyday, healthy.  I eat exactly how I would any other place, a lot of veggies, salads, grilled chicken (even Shaq's big chicken has a grilled chicken sandwich just remove the bread), fish/seafood grilled or baked, no extra butter on things like baked potatoes, lean meats etc. I am not a bread or dessert eater but will enjoy a small bowl of gelato a couple times onboard.   

My lifestyle for at least the last 20 years also includes working out 2 or 3 times a week, cardio mostly and some weights.  We only use the stairs always on a cruise, no matter where our cabin is or how big the ship is and both DH and I use the gym.  I drink wine mixed with zero type sprite or similar, so its half and half.  I drink ice water or bottled water with one of my low calorie ice tea packets (peach ice tea).  This is how I eat and drink in my everyday life so I do not change from that just because I am on vacation.  Its a lifestyle never a diet, combined with the physical activity is easy to maintain.  

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kdr69 said:

There is no problem with eating healthy on board.  Menu items are clearly marked as health concious picks, gluten free, vegetarian, etc.  Bourbon has a high sugar content and beer is full of carbs.  just sayin 😁

Bourbon has no carbs/sugar. Miller lite has 3.2 carbs and 96 calories.

Edited by trummy
  • Like 1

I'm Lifetime WW program (from the old days).

It's all about portion control.at home and on vacation.

2 slices bacon, not 12.

1 slice pizza, not a whole pie

1 dessert, not 3   

Eat when hungry, not by the clock.

Find a reason to move about and keep busy that doesn't involve eating.

Alternate alcoholic drinks with water (You don't have to pay attention to that on a cruise...LOL)

Stop eating and drinking when comfortable.  Tomorrow is another day!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When I eat healthy and I still want Guy’s I make a cheeseburger salad. Get just a cheeseburger patty from Guy’s and then a salad from the salad bar. There’s also healthy options at the deli. 

In the MDR there are healthy options like fish and grilled chicken dinners. There’s always “no sugar added” desserts, too, though I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners. 

Bottom line, it is quite easy to eat healthy on a cruise if you make wise decisions. 

• Like 1

The lunch and dinner buffet always looks greasy, full of heavy sauces and breaded items. I stick to the outside and make a salad, grab some of the meat and cheese and maybe get a slice of the carved meat. I have 1 bun less Guy’s burger during a cruise. I might also have half a sandwich with salad or a slice of pizza with salad. I eat high protein low carb at home but allow a few indulgences when on vacation.

Breakfast in the dining room where I can get real eggs and fruit.

I prefer to eat my calories and not drink them so water, coffee and tea only just like at home. 

I lost weight on my last cruise. Hoping to do the same on my next in a week.

Edited by trvlgirlmq
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 6:39 AM, havanadaydreaming said:

Anyone have tips on eating somewhat healthy on Carnival? 

Are buffet dishes made from scratch? 

I think im about to turn a corner on mah diet.  Growing older but not up was a lifestyle for decades but....gonna try to eat more whole foods moving forward. Fruits, veggies and stuff without preservatives and chemicals. 

That elimates foo foo drinks with soda/sugar added.  Ill stick with sipping bourbon. Mezcal. Beer.  And maybe ill finally embrace wine. 

I find it easy to make healthy choices on any cruise! Focus on fruits, veggies & lean protein

Breakfast: eggs & fruit (oatmeal is a solid starter too)

Buffet: salad bar & fruit. Lean protein

MDR: Send that bread basket back!

Starter: salad

Main: fish, seafood or chicken or a plain steak & veggies--avoid sauces

Dessert: fruit

Liquor is the best choice--straight up or with club soda or diet soda; then dry white wine (not sweet). Beer: stick with Michelob Ultra, Busch Light, Miller Lite 

We just sailed the Regal Princess for 28 days in April. We ate/drank pretty much whatever we wanted. Not big dessert people. But with all the walking you do on a cruise (on ship & at ports) we didn't gain a pound!!! (I did NOT follow my above suggestions either!)

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 4:39 AM, havanadaydreaming said:

Isn't gin made from juniper berries?   What could be healthier than that?

23 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I usually start off eating healthy. By day 2 I see all the “good” stuff and say I’ll start over when I get home.

You have more will power than I do.  My good intentions last only as far as the dessert selections on Embarkation Lunch!!!

We use the cruise for the time to not eat healthy and just relax and not worry about it.

At home we do not drink and rarely eat out, everything we make is fresh. No boxes etc..

So when it comes time to cruise.. Drinks and Food. give us more to look forward to when we do cruise. Everything is about moderation, and how a current choice will impact a future outcome. At least that is how I look at it.

2 hours ago, CruisinArn said:

We use the cruise for the time to not eat healthy and just relax and not worry about it.

At home we do not drink and rarely eat out, everything we make is fresh. No boxes etc..

So when it comes time to cruise.. Drinks and Food. give us more to look forward to when we do cruise. Everything is about moderation, and how a current choice will impact a future outcome. At least that is how I look at it.

Same except for the not drinking at home 🙂