Anyone ever book TAP airlines, says affiliated with united

firefly333

Clearly it's about $200 cheaper than anyone else. I'm doing a TA to spain and then 2nd leg ending in rome may 26, 2025. I plan to stay a few days but want to book my flight home first so I know how many days I can  book a hotel to stay.

I can only finally see to may 26, I'll wait a few days to see rates from rome FCO to MCO orlando. Several sites show this TAP as cheapest flight home to florida. 

20240630_132554317.jpeg

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Clearly it's about $200 cheaper than anyone else.

If that's a list sorted by price, then this isn't surprising. The TAP-based itinerary has 2 stops, but the next two are one-stop itineraries. It's common for this to affect the price.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

If that's a list sorted by price, then this isn't surprising. The TAP-based itinerary has 2 stops, but the next two are one-stop itineraries. It's common for this to affect the price.

It is a list sorted by price. I'm hoping to stay 4 to 6 days may 31 to july 1, but that's as far as I can see so far. Obviously if I get off a ship in rome port that day I cant catch a 5:55 am flight, but I see this every day, a few seats left on TAP much cheaper. I'm not too crazy about that early in the morning either, just wanting a cheaper flight home. 

Waiting on my TA to give me royals price air2sea to compare. Hes leaving for a cruise himself july 7th so cutting it close for him to call in and get a price before he leaves. I dont want to wait a week for him to get back where he can see air2sea either. I want to book a hotel before someone else does. Only 1 solo room there available. But I need flight rates to decide. Hard to be patient. That weekend is also a jubilee event in rome weekend. Demand is high for hotels.

TAP every day comes up as the cheapest option. Then the open seats on the TAP flight book up.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

TAP every day comes up as the cheapest option. Then the open seats on the TAP flight book up.

Not surprising.  There are three main alliances.  Star Alliance, OneWorld and Skyteam.   American, Alaska and BA are part of OneWorld.  Delta and Air France/KLM are in Skyteam.   Star Alliance has United, Air Canada, Lufthansa Group and TAP.   (Left out some of the other smaller airlines that are also in the three aliances).

When it comes to Star,  United Lufthansa and Air Canada also profit-share between North American and Euope.  TAP while still a member with Star is not a part of the profit-sharing agreement so they establish their pricing independently.  They are still part of the same alliance and have close working arrangement with the other alliance members.  Not surprised they are priced more aggressively on sometimes. 

If your a member of the United loyalty program you can credit the miles you earn on TAP to the United program.  Some of the discounted fares that cruse lines have access to and some of the rock bottom fares don't have miles associated with them.

Edited by em-sk

Others have explained the TAP- Star Alliance relationship.

The hotel should have a cancellation policy that would surely allow for a cancellation this far in advance so I'd book that if its a concern. Unless you are choosing a non-refundable rate, which we never do.  

TAP also has a stopover program so you could stop over in Lisbon for a bit if you wanted.  

24 minutes ago, the mice said:

Others have explained the TAP- Star Alliance relationship.

The hotel should have a cancellation policy that would surely allow for a cancellation this far in advance so I'd book that if its a concern. Unless you are choosing a non-refundable rate, which we never do.  

TAP also has a stopover program so you could stop over in Lisbon for a bit if you wanted.  

As I said there is 1 solo room and I dont know how many nights to book. What if I booked 4 nights and then 6 was better price to fly home. I'm arriving on a Monday. If there were other solo rooms it would be easier to cancel and rebook. Yes its refundable, walking distance to all the things I want to see, tivoli, spanish steps, etc. But small, single twin bed. If there were other cabins the same easier to rebook. I'm telling myself I waited for months already, I can wait another week. Booked at least 3 months ago and sorted thru hotels since then to make my decision. Ac, airport shuttle, only thing is breakfast turns out to be a surcharge, not free. 

Trying to be patient one more week, as finally i can see flights the day i arrive. I asked my TA a couple months back and he said flights arent released until about 11 months out for royals sea2sea. So by the end of this week i can get a quote for 4 or 5 days stay from him to compare. 

First TA and not sure I have a huge interest in rome, but everyone says if you are there go see stuff. I wanted to see greece, especially athens and 2nd leg hits a couple ports in greece, so I added the 10 day to the TA. Have mixed feeling how long I even want to stay, but waited for months I can surely wait out this week. I could stay further away from tivoli area but i want to be able to walk, so doing a small solo room for the same money as further away. I dont want to figure out their train system if I dont have to. Oddly I hate italian food and skip that night in Mdr when I cruise. Lol. But I'll eat bread and cold cuts or whatever. I want to see greece. Leg ends in rome. But yes I'm booking a refundable hotel. If a jubilee event wasnt the next weekend I'd feel more comfortable guessing and just say book it, and worry about flight price later. 

Well hopefully this TAP is ok to book. I just want a few days stay 4 to 6 and a cheap flight home. Thanks all. Just me. I took 4 years of latin and interested in greece and some non crusing friends are saying you are going alone? Yep. I don't work, 2 stops are ok. 

52 minutes ago, em-sk said:

Not surprising.  There are three main alliances.  Star Alliance, OneWorld and Skyteam.   American, Alaska and BA are part of OneWorld.  Delta and Air France/KLM are in Skyteam.   Star Alliance has United, Air Canada, Lufthansa Group and TAP.   (Left out some of the other smaller airlines that are also in the three aliances).

When it comes to Star,  United Lufthansa and Air Canada also profit-share between North American and Euope.  TAP while still a member with Star is not a part of the profit-sharing agreement so they establish their pricing independently.  They are still part of the same alliance and have close working arrangement with the other alliance members.  Not surprised they are priced more aggressively on sometimes. 

If your a member of the United loyalty program you can credit the miles you earn on TAP to the United program.  Some of the discounted fares that cruse lines have access to and some of the rock bottom fares don't have miles associated with them.

Lol not a united member. I used to have a sw card, does that count. Flying sw this oct. Not sure I've ever flown United, flew american last spring break. Someone posted if a United flight was free he wouldnt book it. How bad can it be?

31 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol not a united member. I used to have a sw card, does that count. Flying sw this oct. Not sure I've ever flown United, flew american last spring break. Someone posted if a United flight was free he wouldnt book it. How bad can it be?

Which is better, Ford or Chevy ? They are far more a like than different,  particularly in coach. Just silly comments.

Southwest doesn't play with others, so, no, your SW card doesn't help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Which is better, Ford or Chevy ? They are far more a like than different,  particularly in coach. Just silly comments.

Southwest doesn't play with others, so, no, your SW card doesn't help.

Another site shows a flight home on Icelandic air. 35 hours, 1 stop. $604. Went to their site and they dont show you can fly from rome to orlando, fco to mco. The one stop is in YUL.must be a long stop. Best price but its thru a 3rd party. Still searching. That's one long flight. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Another site shows a flight home on Icelandic air. 35 hours, 1 stop. $604. Went to their site and they dont show you can fly from rome to orlando, fco to mco. The one stop is in YUL.must be a long stop. Best price but its thru a 3rd party. Still searching. That's one long flight. 

Icelandic Air will stop in Iceland. Maybe elsewhere. 35 hours is crazy long...

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Icelandair does offer on some days of the week a one-stop Rome to Keflavik to Orlando flight.  It would involve a 22 hour connection in Keflavik which is why it would be 35 hours.  Here is an example from their site:

image.thumb.png.e367c15c2ccd876c0ee502a7b4ee7d9e.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

As I said there is 1 solo room and I dont know how many nights to book. What if I booked 4 nights and then 6 was better price to fly home.

So why not book 4 nights on one reservation and 2 nights on another?  When I book hotels (usually using points), I often book nights separately (either because of rate changes or because I am using points from my account and my husband's, or because I decided to add on another day at a later time).  Sometimes I have had 3 separate reservations to cover the days of our stay.  If you end up keeping both, you can just email the hotel and ask them to link the 2 reservations.  I have never had an issue doing this.  This way you can put the hotel issue to bed, so to speak, and just focus on the flights.

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Southwest is a different type of airline.  They try to have a simpler operation, with the goal of keeping costs down.   They have limited international operations and don't have the infrastructure to interline with other airlines.  If you sticking to the US they are fine. If your going to Europe, they are just not an option.

United, Delta, American and their foreign partners (like TAP Air Portugal) have much more complex computer systems, and associated airport infrastructure to transfer passengers and bags between partners.  For example if you book the TAP offering, when you check in in Florida for your flight, United will issue you boarding pass for both the United and TAP leg.  United will also check you bags all the way to Rome.   When you come back from Rome, TAP will issue your TAP and United boarding pass as well as tag your bags all the way through.  If something happens and you miss your connection, the two airlines will take responsibility for getting you to your final destination.   

1 hour ago, the mice said:

So why not book 4 nights on one reservation and 2 nights on another?  When I book hotels (usually using points), I often book nights separately (either because of rate changes or because I am using points from my account and my husband's, or because I decided to add on another day at a later time).  Sometimes I have had 3 separate reservations to cover the days of our stay.  If you end up keeping both, you can just email the hotel and ask them to link the 2 reservations.  I have never had an issue doing this.  This way you can put the hotel issue to bed, so to speak, and just focus on the flights.

I just might. And worse come to worse change hotels after 4 nights if I cant add more nights. It is driving me crazy to wait. Or even just book 3. Tuesday and Wednesday been lower cost flight days.

2 hours ago, BOB999 said:

Icelandair does offer on some days of the week a one-stop Rome to Keflavik to Orlando flight.  It would involve a 22 hour connection in Keflavik which is why it would be 35 hours.  Here is an example from their site:

image.thumb.png.e367c15c2ccd876c0ee502a7b4ee7d9e.png

Wow, so it's just certain days is why it didnt come up when I tried a random day. So they do have some cheap rates. The one I saw went thru a different airport I think though, no idea where but if it's a 11 hour layover I could get a room there too? I've never flown out of the country to be honest. A friend keeps pushing me to do something new. I admit I'm kinda clueless.

I booked 3 days at the hotel. Hopefully I can add more hotel days after flights come out. I keep thinking it's a mistake. One of those you are blue color so its 34% off prices you are saving $127. Thinking it must be a mistake. That's a pretty huge discount. I am confused but want to see its either the coleseum or pantheon.. 1 or both is in rome? I can walk and have breakfast tivoli or spanish steps area. The hotels they tell me might have a excursion to one or the other if I cant book ahead. 

Thanks. Fingers crossed I can get a reasonable flight with it being a jubilee event for grandparents and families. 

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I booked 3 days at the hotel. Hopefully I can add more hotel days after flights come out. I keep thinking it's a mistake. One of those you are blue color so its 34% off prices you are saving $127. Thinking it must be a mistake. That's a pretty huge discount. I am confused but want to see its either the coleseum or pantheon.. 1 or both is in rome? I can walk and have breakfast tivoli or spanish steps area. The hotels they tell me might have a excursion to one or the other if I cant book ahead. 

Thanks. Fingers crossed I can get a reasonable flight with it being a jubilee event for grandparents and families. 

Maybe you mean Trevi (the fountain), not Tivoli which is outside of Rome and is a day trip from the city. Fabulous, but better for those who have seen the main attractions in Rome itself.  You need to pre-book the Colosseum and now the Pantheon, otherwise you need a tour that includes entrance.  You can get a lot of information on the TripAdvisor forum for Rome where there is lots of information on tickets to both attractions.  Also check the Ports of Call forum here on CruiseCritic.

Read a lot.  Perhaps get Rick Steve's guidebook (borrow from your local library if you don't want to buy it).  He has lots of useful, easy to follow advice for novice travelers to Europe.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the mice said:

Maybe you mean Trevi (the fountain), not Tivoli which is outside of Rome and is a day trip from the city. Fabulous, but better for those who have seen the main attractions in Rome itself.  You need to pre-book the Colosseum and now the Pantheon, otherwise you need a tour that includes entrance.  You can get a lot of information on the TripAdvisor forum for Rome where there is lots of information on tickets to both attractions.  Also check the Ports of Call forum here on CruiseCritic.

Read a lot.  Perhaps get Rick Steve's guidebook (borrow from your local library if you don't want to buy it).  He has lots of useful, easy to follow advice for novice travelers to Europe.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.  

Yes I looked and that's what it says on the hotel I booked. Also I read the spanish steps are close to this trevi fountain. And its not like in the movies, it's very crowded. 

2 more days and I'll be able to see flights Thursday may 29. If bad I'll just stay longer is my plan. Pick the cheapest flight and put the money toward more hotel days. I'll try and pre book the pantheon. 

• Pantheon2 min walk
  • Piazza Navona5 min walk
  • Trevi Fountain9 min walk
  • Rome (FCO-Fiumicino - Leonardo da Vinci Intl.)35 min drive

11 hours ago, em-sk said:

United, Delta, American and their foreign partners (like TAP Air Portugal) have much more complex computer systems, and associated airport infrastructure to transfer passengers and bags between partners.  For example if you book the TAP offering, when you check in in Florida for your flight, United will issue you boarding pass for both the United and TAP leg.  United will also check you bags all the way to Rome.   When you come back from Rome, TAP will issue your TAP and United boarding pass as well as tag your bags all the way through.  If something happens and you miss your connection, the two airlines will take responsibility for getting you to your final destination. 

Although when coming back from Europe to USA and your itinerary includes a plane change in USA, that generally means that in the first point of entry into USA you must claim your checked luggage and recheck it after clearing the customs.

21 hours ago, firefly333 said:

He's a liar.  He would book them again in a red hot minute if the price was the lowest.  I am guessing UA doesn't want this passenger to book on them either.  Most carriers are pretty much the same in economy.  

3 hours ago, Hezu said:

Although when coming back from Europe to USA and your itinerary includes a plane change in USA, that generally means that in the first point of entry into USA you must claim your checked luggage and recheck it after clearing the customs.

Yes, don't confuse your baggage tag listing your final destination as meaning you don't have to claim your bag after your return to the US.  You've got to get it off the belt, clear customs and drop it off at the recheck belt for your next flight.  If you fail to do so, it just sits there waiting for an airline employee to have to research your flight and bag, retag it and either forward it if possible or it will sit down at baggage claim until you file a claim for it at your final destination.

Edited by 6rugrats

50 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

He's a liar.  He would book them again in a red hot minute if the price was the lowest.

Those high and lofty principles would go out the window if the price is $20 less.  Or even a smaller number.  "Someone" probably has very unrealistic expectations of their travel experience - did they tell exactly WHY they would never fly UA again?  Or just a general rant.