Symphony of the Seas out of Bayonne

I have read some of the reviews for the Symphony out of Bayonne. Seems that a few were not good reviews. What have your experiences been on the Bayonne Symphony sailings?

Many reviews depend on the type of cruising desired.

Some people love the big ships for the many restaurants and activities on board. They are going to be leaning towards a good review because the larger ships are their style.

Should you like a smaller more intimate ship with less bells and whistles, Your experience may vary.

Always remember that negative reviews will in general outnumber positive reviews due to human nature.

If I feel I had a good experience for the money I paid, I would not post for I got what I expected.

If I feel that the experience was very bad for my purchase price, I am much more likely to complain about it.

Keep an open mind.

• Like 1

I'm booked for the fall so I just took a look at the reviews here at CC. Not one of them gives me concern for my own experience.

One person hadn't cruised since 2019 and was shocked at the changes since then. Valid points, there have been a lot of changes, but I've rolled with them. It's never going to be the same kind of service you had back in the day. Other complaints were common to Oasis class ships...the Windjammer is too small and just not good. Yup, agreed. Fortunately there are other places for a quick meal. I'm a big Park Cafe fan.

It's crowded. Yup, can feel that way sometimes. She's a big'n. Can't get in a hot tub all day. Yup, but you usually can at dinner time, enjoy the sunset. Couldn't get to see the Aqua Show. That is disappointing, it's pretty cool. 

So I can see things that would be disappointing, but nothing that would ruin my experience and make me never want to cruise on Royal again. I'm not sure what reviews you have read, perhaps they were worse?

• Like 1

The reviews I’m referring to are here on cruise critic under reviews heading for May and June. 
I realize everybody has a different experience and I’m loyal to Royal. Just wondering what others have experienced. 

We went on symphony in June and booked her again out of Bayonne in October. The itinerary is nothing special as stopping at port canaveral is kind of a waste, but symphony still remains one of my favorite ships in the fleet and it's a quick Uber to Newark. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, puggylicious said:

The reviews I’m referring to are here on cruise critic under reviews heading for May and June. 
I realize everybody has a different experience and I’m loyal to Royal. Just wondering what others have experienced. 

I enjoyed two cruises on the Oasis out of Bayonne in September 2022, and September 2023.

At the right price, I would do them again in a heartbeat.

During my cruises, I thought the Park Cafe was a bit lacking but others thought it was good. I spent more time at the Bistro during breakfast and lunch which I thought was very good.

Look around and you can find something you like to eat somewhere and something you like to do.

I did the escape room and enjoyed it.

We adapted to the Windjammer by getting there at the opening of any meal we were interested in and had no drama. We did not leave hungry.

The MDR was a bit of hit or miss so we enjoyed the good meals and did not stress about the so-so meals.

Everything can change on the next cruise as crew is always turning over and new supplies can bring superior or inferior food onboard.

A vacation is hard to be all things for everyone no matter what you do.

• Like 3

@puggylicious are you concerned about Symphony or Bayonne or the itinerary?  Can you perhaps clarify?  We did Symphony earlier this year (out of FLL) and it was excellent.  One of the highest rated RCCL ships.  Yes it is large with a lot of people but it is Oasis-Class so you know that going in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colesc15 said:

We went on symphony in June and booked her again out of Bayonne in October. The itinerary is nothing special as stopping at port canaveral is kind of a waste, but symphony still remains one of my favorite ships in the fleet and it's a quick Uber to Newark. 

So happy to hear that. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

@puggylicious are you concerned about Symphony or Bayonne or the itinerary?  Can you perhaps clarify?  We did Symphony earlier this year (out of FLL) and it was excellent.  One of the highest rated RCCL ships.  Yes it is large with a lot of people but it is Oasis-Class so you know that going in.

We often sail out of Bayonne and like not having to fly. And we love the Oasis. Just was a little disappointed about some of the reviews I’ve read about the Symphony. I am not going to read anymore reviews. Looking forward to sailing on Symphony. 

• Like 3

Symphony is a great ship but the itinerary is boring. It’s about the only way to get somewhere tropical from NJ, though. I think the Canada and Bermuda cruises are more interesting but they are on an older ship with few updates. Those itineraries may become more popular once an AMPed ship starts sailing them in 2026 (Indy). 

• Like 1

We were on Symphony is March (Ft. Lauderdale) with two kids and it was fantastic, I would not hesitate to book on Symphony again.  If you already know you like cruising out of Bayonne (which I can't currently speak to) and your concern is the ship, I wouldn't have any general concerns.

Were there were specific items from the reviews that were brought up that were particularly concerning for you?  If so, mentioning those and getting direct feedback about them may help, but if it's a "general feel" thing, I would expect Symphony will be no more likely than any other ship to be a problem.

17 minutes ago, puggylicious said:

We often sail out of Bayonne and like not having to fly. And we love the Oasis. Just was a little disappointed about some of the reviews I’ve read about the Symphony. I am not going to read anymore reviews. Looking forward to sailing on Symphony. 

I agree with your first two sentences.

I sailed Symphony several years ago, and look forward to doing so again in August.

Maybe I'll see you there!

18 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I agree with your first two sentences.

I sailed Symphony several years ago, and look forward to doing so again in August.

Maybe I'll see you there!

@Merion_Mom  Aug 9th?  We will be on that one.

2 hours ago, colesc15 said:

We went on symphony in June and booked her again out of Bayonne in October. 

We were on SOTS in May, like you booked Oct and also June 2025.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

@puggylicious We did Symphony earlier this year (out of FLL) and it was excellent.  One of the highest rated RCCL ships. 

We feel the same way. Thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful, never felt crowded and plenty of different places to eat.

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I spent more time at the Bistro during breakfast and lunch which I thought was very good. We adapted to the Windjammer by getting there at the opening of any meal we were interested in and had no drama. We did not leave hungry.

The Solarium Bistro was great for good eats. The Windjammer was too. Some days more than others. But there are many more places to chose to eat at.

We think the Symphony was a very impressive ship and offers so much. Would not hesitate to sail her many more times.

3 hours ago, colesc15 said:

The itinerary is nothing special as stopping at port canaveral is kind of a waste, but symphony still remains one of my favorite ships in the fleet 

It's all about the ship, not the itinerary.  We love Central Park, the layout of the ship, the food and the trivia.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, puggylicious said:

If you love Oasis you should have no issue with Symphony.

• Like 2

We sailed on her in May and had a great time. Embarkation lunch had chilled lobster tails, peeled jumbo shrimp, and tuna tartar. Never saw that before. We had lunch at Hooked one day and it was delicious. We booked that last Black Friday for $13.99 each. We booked for the ship, not the itinerary.

• Like 1

Agree with others that the itinerary isn't great. It's a good thing the ship has a lot to offer. We will probably stay onboard the whole time, aside from CocoCay if the weather is nice. No need to get off in PC or Nassau, been there so many times at this point. I do love the convenience of Bayonne and Symphony was a good deal for the fall compared to other options. There's only so far she can go on a one week sailing. Too big for a lot of places and not enough time to get into the Caribbean. 

1 hour ago, mets123 said:

We sailed on her in May and had a great time. Embarkation lunch had chilled lobster tails, peeled jumbo shrimp, and tuna tartar. Never saw that before. We had lunch at Hooked one day and it was delicious. We booked that last Black Friday for $13.99 each. We booked for the ship, not the itinerary.

Lobster tails, shrimps, etc. are you sure it was a RCL ship.  🤣If so, in the WJ.