Seashore Yacht Club and shade

Jeal

Are there shady spots with lounges on the pool deck in Yacht Club?I’m not talking about the pergolas where sun shines through the slats but actual shady spots. Or, is it mostly in the sun like deck 19 for Aurea? 

51 minutes ago, Jeal said:

Are there shady spots with lounges on the pool deck in Yacht Club?I’m not talking about the pergolas where sun shines through the slats but actual shady spots. Or, is it mostly in the sun like deck 19 for Aurea? 

Mostly in the sun.  However you can move lounges to some of the few shady spots   

• Like 1

We sail in the Yacht Club on Seashore in 19 days. With 3 previous YC cruises, not having enough available shade is not great. Meraviglia and Davinia had plenty of shade. 

Posted (edited)

While not ideal, there is a door on the YC sundeck that leads to the Aurea Sundeck, which has plenty of shade…and a pretty nice bar too. A YC guest can walk back and forth between the 2 spaces with the swipe of a key card. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeal said:

10 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

While not ideal, there is a door on the YC sundeck that leads to the Aurea Sundeck, which has plenty of shade…and a pretty nice bar too. A YC guest can walk back and forth between the 2 spaces with the swipe of a key card. 

Depending on the direction you are sailing, and time of day, (that’s a lot of “depends” I realize), against the wall, one side or the other on Yacht Club Deck will have shade. Also right against back wall, facing pool, has shade depending on time of day.

We did walk around the Aurea Sundeck but the loungers did not have cushions on them like the Yacht Club Deck loungers. Bar was nice, seemed quiet. 

Thank you for all the advice. I think Yacht Club is going to be too sunny for us on the Seashore. We didn’t even use the Aurea area due to the lack of shade. 

Posted (edited)

We were on Seashore in May and loungers in the shade were hard to come by during peak hours of mid morning until mid afternoon. Most times we could find some shade to sit and read in one of the areas with tables and chairs on the side and forward of the pool deck bar. We tried not to occupy those tables during peak breakfast/lunch hours if we were not eating so others  could use them to have their breakfast/lunch. Later in the afternoon there were many shaded loungers on either side but aft of the bar/pool area. 

Edited by SeasideMemories

Can someone let me know the rules for the pergolas on the Seashore.  I know that a few are set aside for the Owner Suites guests but are the rest first-come-first-serve or is there a reservation system?

This seems to be handled differently depending on the company and ship

3 hours ago, eppler said:

Can someone let me know the rules for the pergolas on the Seashore.  I know that a few are set aside for the Owner Suites guests but are the rest first-come-first-serve or is there a reservation system?

This seems to be handled differently depending on the company and ship

Seashore and Seascape = Owner's Suites and Royal Suites each have a reserved pergola (their choice of location). The rest are first come/first serve.

Seaside and Seaview = Royal Suites each have a reserved cabana (their choice of location). The rest can be rented for a cost depending on sea day or port day.

Meraviglia = Royal Suites each have a reserved cabana. There are only 3 to choose from. The remaining one can be rented for a cost.

This is based on my experience on the above ships except for Seaview which I've never sailed.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 1:28 PM, granger said:

I'm thinking of buying an attachable parasol to clip onto the lounger.  One large enough to protect the top part of my body.

Love this idea. Will they allow you to bring this onboard? 

1 hour ago, cbfb said:

Love this idea. Will they allow you to bring this onboard? 

The one I'm looking at is Similar in  size to a golf umbrella. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 10:53 AM, Two Wheels Only said:

Seaside and Seaview = Royal Suites each have a reserved cabana (their choice of location). The rest can be rented for a cost depending on sea day or port day.

We were on Seaside in April. The "extra" pergolas were reserveable for no charge. For our back to back, the concierge encouraged us to reserve for every day on the second part of our cruise. No charge at all.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

We were on Seaside in April. The "extra" pergolas were reserveable for no charge. For our back to back, the concierge encouraged us to reserve for every day on the second part of our cruise. No charge at all.

That's a surprise. When Seaside first went into service, the cabanas were ridiculously expensive. A few months later when I sailed, the price had gone down to something like $59/$99 for port/sea days. Now, they are no charge at all.

• Like 1

With a smaller number of cabanas I think Seaside will have more angry YC passengers who never get a chance to use them.  Interested to see if this policy can move to Meraviglia. 

14 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Correction -- We were on Seaside in September 2023 and there was no charge to reserve the pergolas. Sorry for the mistake. Guess I should look at my signature to make sure I'm not confusing itineraries.

I was on Seaside late October, 2023 and the concierge told me the pergolas were still additional cost.   He said since Seaside had fewer than the Plus ships they would not follow that policy of them being first come.   The only way to reserve or use one was to pay the daily rates. 

7 minutes ago, Boschmann said:

I was on Seaside late October, 2023 and the concierge told me the pergolas were still additional cost.

Wow! We were on the 4-night second leg of a B2B. There was 1 other couple also B2B. We reserved the pergola the morning of the second leg, before the new guests boarded and all was free. I wonder if that might have been why? Raj was the Head Concierge, Rizwan was the Head Butler and Maria Lucca was the YC Director. They knew us pretty well after the first week. Maybe that was a factor also? I know that the other B2B couple were doing several B2Bs, for quite a long time, more than a month, so they were very well known to the YC staff as well.

We were only on the four night.  We definitely had Maria, who I would assume sets the policy.   I'm not 100% sure but Raj sounds correct.  It was our first time sailing with both of them, Maria was fairly new to MSC.

The cabanas were mostly empty on our sailing and we didn't get off that much.  So I'm pretty sure no one had reserved them due to the price.  I've no idea why passengers are told different things on different sailings.   Unfortunately I've learned it's pretty common with MSC.

• Like 1