Complimentary wine in Queens Grill restaurant?

Fox trotter

If you are travelling in Queens Grill I understand you received a bottle of champagne, bottle of Pol Acker plus the option of two bottles of wine or spirits.

Can these be taken to and consumed in the restaurant, or is that being a bit cheeky?

22 minutes ago, Fox trotter said:

If you are travelling in Queens Grill I understand you received a bottle of champagne, bottle of Pol Acker plus the option of two bottles of wine or spirits.

Can these be taken to and consumed in the restaurant, or is that being a bit cheeky?

No. Unless you choose to pay corkage.

Is this a recent change? Although I have not brought any of the complimentary bottles into any restaurant, I have known others to do so without a corkage charge. It was explained to me that any wine provided by the ship including a gift ordered through Cunard (on which the donor would have paid the 15% service charge) may be given to the sommelier.  I have no idea about spirits.

3 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

Is this a recent change? Although I have not brought any of the complimentary bottles into any restaurant, I have known others to do so without a corkage charge. It was explained to me that any wine provided by the ship including a gift ordered through Cunard (on which the donor would have paid the 15% service charge) may be given to the sommelier.  I have no idea about spirits.

I have always been told the drink is for consumption in the cabin only, that is over twenty years, but that may not count as recent for Cunard aficionados.

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I have always been told the drink is for consumption in the cabin only, that is over twenty years, but that may not count as recent for Cunard aficionados.

Same here although it wouldn't occur to us to take cabin wine into the restaurant so no idea on current thinking.

9 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

Right or wrong, my opinion would be the paid for/ gift alcohol would be treated differently from the cabin supplied stuff.

Ît states somewhere " to consume in your stateroom", I guess it applies still, even though its not strictly enforced. We once consumed our champagne on the grills terrace and we where provided with glasses and not asked to pay a fee. But I think you are supposed to order alcohol whenever out of your stateroom and not use your own , or the one provided for the suite.

I’m not sure if it’s fair to the sommelier to set up a champagne ice bucket stand, open it, and continue to serve the in-room provided champagne while not get his service charge. Or am I overthinking it? Maybe that’s where a cash tip to the sommelier would be appreciated if no corkage fee is charged. 

16 minutes ago, NE John said:

I’m not sure if it’s fair to the sommelier to set up a champagne ice bucket stand, open it, and continue to serve the in-room provided champagne while not get his service charge. Or am I overthinking it? Maybe that’s where a cash tip to the sommelier would be appreciated if no corkage fee is charged. 

John,

Totally agree with you about a tip for the courtesy of his service.

He has no product to note on a bill to apply the service charge.

Gesture of service should be applied.

Posted (edited)

I've read somewhere that if given a gift of Cunard wine where the 15% has already been included in the price, that you can take the bottle with Cunard's gift card to a lounge and restaurant and have it served to you. I imagine the gift card is the sommelier's evidence that they have served a product for which the service charge has already been applied.

We had such a gift but being on the drinks package brought it home with us.

Edit to add: We would like to drink the PA as an aperitif in a lounge to save taking it home or giving it away as we don't drink in our cabin. But I get the impression that's frowned on.

Edited by D&N

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Right or wrong, my opinion would be the paid for/ gift alcohol would be treated differently from the cabin supplied stuff.

Now that you mention that it sounds familiar.  When we are in QG we always drink the Champagne in the stateroom so I have no personal experience - just what I have heard from others..

3 hours ago, D&N said:

We would like to drink the PA as an aperitif in a lounge to save taking it home or giving it away as we don't drink in our cabin. But I get the impression that's frowned on.

While i have not seen this happen in a restaurant, on our last cruise i saw it in both the Golden Lion and the Garden Lounge, the waiter's provided two flutes but no ice bucket. 

The Cunard web site says that complimentary wine, left in your cabin, may be brought to the restaurant  without a corkage fee. However, it is a bit of a gray area if this is intended to apply to the 2 bottles that QG passengers get or only to the embarkation day bottle of Champagne. But I would think if you were to win a bottle of sparkling wine while onboard, that would be corkage fee exempt. 

Jack

6 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

The Cunard web site says that complimentary wine, left in your cabin, may be brought to the restaurant  without a corkage fee. However, it is a bit of a gray area if this is intended to apply to the 2 bottles that QG passengers get or only to the embarkation day bottle of Champagne. But I would think if you were to win a bottle of sparkling wine while onboard, that would be corkage fee exempt. 

Jack

Interesting.

I've never seen this re complimentary wine although I would have thought paid for wine such as the gift packages should fall within the allowable in the restaurant. Not that we'd take our provided  drinks out of the cabin but would love to know if QG 'perk' would be classed as 'complimentary'! 🙂

To be honest - the last thing that I would want to do is walk around the ship carrying a bottle of wine.

Now if the butler could take it to the restaurant for me that would be a different matter😉

25 minutes ago, david63 said:

To be honest - the last thing that I would want to do is walk around the ship carrying a bottle of wine.

Now if the butler could take it to the restaurant for me that would be a different matter😉

Wine waiters will carry your Grill's lounge unfinished [I know, a rarity] drinks into the restaurant for you.

Having the butler carry my Pol Aker into the restaurant  is a step too far, on a couple of fronts! 😁

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

unfinished [I know, a rarity] drinks

Sorry but that is a concept that I don't understand - what is an unfinished drink?🤣

Edited by david63
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, david63 said:

Sorry but that is a concept that I don't understand - what is an unfinished drink?🤣

Imonce saw an article in the paper, entitled, ‘How to use up leftover wine’. I am still baffled.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Given that you can have a bottle of wine a day or even more if you both drink different wines or spirits in your QG cabin. Then if you were allowed to drink it anywhere on ship QG would become all inclusive, but you'd have people carrying bottles around . ☹️

We started off on our first QG having a bottle of Prosecco each night before dinner with chocolate strawberries in cabin, because we could. If we didn't finish it poured it away to get fresh next day. However that only lasted for first week couldn't keep it up.

Nowadays I'm not a fan of the inclusive wine in cabin as don't drink that much and we like

A) to drink in restaurants or lounge with company 

B) the wine is OK , but not a treat

Personally I  like to see it go , and of course prices adjusted accordingly. 

Edited by Windsurfboy