Would you take any of these quasi upgrade offers?

Posted (edited)

I mentioned earlier that I'm taking the GF on a 7 night cruise on Sirena for a milestone birthday (60) plus she's tolerated me for 10 years, and I want to reward her for putting up with me.  Frankly, I wasn't looking to go too crazy on the spending, as I'm paying for everything (cruise, hotel, flights, etc.)  So I think I'm being fairly generous to begin with.

I booked one of the larger C1 ocean view cabins, where the size of the cabin extends to the point where a balcony would end, if it had one.  I booked under the former O-Life promotion, and stripped everything out of the reservation, so no shore credit, no flights, no meantime drinks, etc.  I figured I'd bring on some wine that I enjoy and simply pay the corkage fee.  

I currently have a total of $550 OBC now, for what it's worth.  $300 from AMEX cruise privileges, $100 for being a Norwegian shareholder, and $150 from the travel agent, so I figured that $550 could cover gratuities, maybe an excursion or two, and possibly a cocktail here and there.

There are 4 stops, 2 sea days, and I plan on doing private excursions on 2 of the 4 port visits, but no plans so far for the other 2 days.

I checked to see the cost differential if I upgraded the cabin to a higher category, or kept the same cabin, only under the current promotions.   Here's what they offered.

1. Keep the same cabin, but add $400 in shore excursions and the mealtime wine and beer package.  Cost to upgrade: $450.

2. Move from the C1 OV to a B2 Veranda and pick up the above $400 for excursions & the wine/beer package.  Cost to upgrade: About $1,100.

As mentioned, I didn't want to go too crazy on the spending, but it's not like I'm broke either.

Would you take one of these offers, and if so which, or would you stay with what you have, which is well-priced?

Edited by Stockjock

7 minutes ago, no fuss travel said:

If you have just booked with the OLIfe or whatever it is now called, wine and beer are included for lunch and dinner

Simply More.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, no fuss travel said:

If you have just booked with the OLIfe or whatever it is now called, wine and beer are included for lunch and dinner

I'm booked under O-Life, where you could remove all of those extras and book at a lower price.  As I understand it, those cannot be removed under Simply More.

So I'd be going from a stripped down, basic booking under O-Life to getting some perks, albeit at a higher cost, under Simply More.

Edited by Stockjock

To me it would really come down to how much you value having a veranda.  Not sure which 7 day cruise you are taking but for the moment I will assume Miami to Miami. It sounds like you booked pre change and have cruise only.  As this is your first O cruise I say let it ride with what you have.  This is a great, inexpensive way to test the O waters.  I doubt you will ever cruise O again at the prices on the website for that cruise now. but it will give you an idea of cruising on O.

Hope you have a great cruise, we are waiting for number two in November and hope we will be able to cruise O once every two or three years in the future.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Looks like the mealtime drink package is about $280 per person ($560), so I'd be picking that up for $450, plus getting another $400 towards excursions, which doesn't seem too bad.

Anyone know if the wine served with the mealtime package is good?  Are gratuities included with the wine served in those basic lunch and dinner only packages?

Edited by Stockjock

As to the wine, it's always personal taste. It is very likely you will find some you like. It is unlikely that it will be as good as what you bring onto the ship.  Yes, gratuities are included on the Simply wine and beer offerings.  We have always had the "former" O Life program. We will have the Simply program on 4 of our coming 5 cruises. Fingers crossed on the wine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Stockjock

You are taking the most special person in your life, 10 years, on a cruise for a very special occasion is the way I am reading this. First, you stepped up and booked Oceania and that is a major plus IMHO. You are making this an exercise in “Crunching the Numbers” rather than one of sharing a “Special Occasion “ that only comes once, and you said you can afford it. Again, IMHO, put the pencil away and do what makes that special lady happy. 

We have a friend who just got off their first O cruise and were also booked in an Ocean View room. About a week before they sailed, Oceania offered them a Concierge Veranda upgrade for only a few hundred dollars.  She jumped on it👍🙏 O has a tendency to try to entice guests to “Step Up” so I would stand pat now, but if you get that Upgrade Offer, jump on it. We have been offered 💰, B or A Verandas, Penthouses, Oceania Suites and Owners Suites and we jumped on them all. It is early yet 😇🙏👍. They are masters of “Temptation” and believe me, it is hard to go back down to a lower level stateroom. My DW loves her Penthouses and in my case, Happy Wife, Happy Life. 

It is not necessary for us to have a Beverage package, just pay as we go, drink what we want, when we want. If you want a Drink Package, whatever level, go for it. Happy Hour/2 for 1 drinks run from 5:00-6:00 daily and again at 10:00 or 10:30 p.m. You will have the Captain’s Reception and two hours of free drinks. Maybe you will also get an invitation to another Cocktail Party. Remember, Oceania allows you to bring alcohol and wine aboard to drink in your room or you can take that special bottle of wine to dinner at a Specialty restaurant or other restaurant, just pay the $25 Corkage fee. We always bring some “Special” California wines with us when we board for those nights in Red Ginger or Tuscan Steak. Wine prices aboard are considerably different than your trip into Bev Mo. 

This is your first O experience and in the first few days of your 7 day cruise you will decide if you want to sail O again and my guess is, you will. Maybe save that extra $450-1100 💰 and use it to book a future cruise with that special lady.

There is no bad decision whatever you do, just make it memorable.

Mauibabes

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, no fuss travel said:

Not true.

with O Life, the basic booze perk was one of three possible choices for your included perk.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@Stockjock

You are taking the most special person in your life, 10 years, on a cruise for a very special occasion is the way I am reading this. First, you stepped up and booked Oceania and that is a major plus IMHO. You are making this an exercise in “Crunching the Numbers” rather than one of sharing a “Special Occasion “ that only comes once, and you said you can afford it. Again, IMHO, put the pencil away and do what makes that special lady happy. 

We have a friend who just got off their first O cruise and were also booked in an Ocean View room. About a week before they sailed, Oceania offered them a Concierge Veranda upgrade for only a few hundred dollars.  She jumped on it👍🙏 O has a tendency to try to entice guests to “Step Up” so I would stand pat now, but if you get that Upgrade Offer, jump on it. We have been offered 💰, B or A Verandas, Penthouses, Oceania Suites and Owners Suites and we jumped on them all. It is early yet 😇🙏👍. They are masters of “Temptation” and believe me, it is hard to go back down to a lower level stateroom. My DW loves her Penthouses and in my case, Happy Wife, Happy Life. 

It is not necessary for us to have a Beverage package, just pay as we go, drink what we want, when we want. If you want a Drink Package, whatever level, go for it. Happy Hour/2 for 1 drinks run from 5:00-6:00 daily and again at 10:00 or 10:30 p.m. You will have the Captain’s Reception and two hours of free drinks. Maybe you will also get an invitation to another Cocktail Party. Remember, Oceania allows you to bring alcohol and wine aboard to drink in your room or you can take that special bottle of wine to dinner at a Specialty restaurant or other restaurant, just pay the $25 Corkage fee. We always bring some “Special” California wines with us when we board for those nights in Red Ginger or Tuscan Steak. Wine prices aboard are considerably different than your trip into Bev Mo. 

This is your first O experience and in the first few days of your 7 day cruise you will decide if you want to sail O again and my guess is, you will. Maybe save that extra $450-1100 💰 and use it to book a future cruise with that special lady.

There is no bad decision whatever you do, just make it memorable.

Mauibabes

I have this booked through a TA.  If they make an upgrade offer, is it direct or through the TA?

Your TA will get the offer and they are made first come first served so make that call asap. We have always advised our TA that we would be interested if a highly desireable Upgrade offer was made. You have $550 in OBC, it will be easy to spend it, be it on drink packages, tours, Spa treatments, Gratuities, etc. Just enjoy yourselves.

Mauibabes

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not true.

with O Life, the basic booze perk was one of three possible choices for your included perk.

Folks you can no longer book O'Life it is now gone unless you HAVE it already now it is Simply More and thats it!!

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Folks you can no longer book O'Life it is now gone unless you HAVE it already now it is Simply More and thats it!!

Jancruz1

Which is why I posted “WAS one.”

(Hope all is well on your end.)

Posted (edited)

If you’re concerned about which wines would be included if Simply More comes into play, look at the online menus for each restaurant—the wines by the glass are those included.

Edited by LSuzQ
Grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LSuzQ said:

If you’re concerned about which wines would be included if Simply More comes into play, look at the online menus for each restaurant—the wines by the glass are those included.

Where would I find these online menus?

• Like 1

I took my gf on a short cruise 12 years ago and I made the mistake of booking a veranda.  While I  look at the C1 prices I have never booked one on the subsequent 8 cruises we have done.   B1 on Oceania for us and my gf/wife is happy.   A C1 might be better for some cold or rough weather cruises, but for the Caribbean?  Not for us post COVID. We've got a B1 for our arctic cruise on Marina next month.

On the other hand, our needs and wants may be quite different. We're not drinkers so the drinks package is of limited value. With only 2 possible port excursions I might stand pat. 

So, it depends. Have a great trip. 

Rob

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Where would I find these online menus?

On the Oceania website, navigate to your ship of choice, click on Culinary Experiences, choose a dining venue, and then you can choose among sample menus, including wine. You’ll find a section for wines by the glass.  Attempting to copy a link the MDR’s. There may be a few changes since the online version is from 2023. 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2023-10/oceania-wine-list.pdf

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LSuzQ said:

On the Oceania website, navigate to your ship of choice, click on Culinary Experiences, choose a dining venue, and then you can choose among sample menus, including wine. You’ll find a section for wines by the glass.  Attempting to copy a link the MDR’s. There may be a few changes since the online version is from 2023. 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2023-10/oceania-wine-list.pdf

Thanks.  Would any listed wine by the glass be included in the mealtime package?

4 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Thanks.  Would any listed wine by the glass be included in the mealtime package?

That’s my understanding.

9 minutes ago, LSuzQ said:

That’s my understanding.

Just went through the entire by the glass list.  Mostly pretty average stuff.  Some below average.  A few slightly above average.

Appreciate the link.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

Just went through the entire by the glass list.  Mostly pretty average stuff.  Some below average.  A few slightly above average.

Simply More only offers the wines on the menu during meals. If you had no package the wine usually sells for $15-20 a glass with gratuities included, most of the wines offered in the SM package do not sell for more than that per bottle on shore. 

Before Simply More, we always took the cruise only option and brought wine onboard with us and paid the $25 corkage fee. We usually didn't finish the bottle and Oceania would store it for us until we needed it again. We also went to the 5pm-6pm Happy Hour for cocktails or wine and would often bring the second of the 2 for 1 glasses of wine to dinner. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Appreciate the link.

Just a heads up...

Wine lists on O website:  all items on list may not be in stock on your ship.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, grmmybtty said:

Simply More only offers the wines on the menu during meals. If you had no package the wine usually sells for $15-20 a glass with gratuities included, most of the wines offered in the SM package do not sell for more than that per bottle on shore. 

Before Simply More, we always took the cruise only option and brought wine onboard with us and paid the $25 corkage fee. We usually didn't finish the bottle and Oceania would store it for us until we needed it again. We also went to the 5pm-6pm Happy Hour for cocktails or wine and would often bring the second of the 2 for 1 glasses of wine to dinner. 

Pretty sure I will byo aboard with some good stuff that I like.  That said, spending $450 for 2 meal time drink packages "worth" $560 if booked separately, plus $400 to spend on excursions, doesn't seem like a terrible deal.

Edited by Stockjock

Keep checking prices. Sometimes there is a short term sale that can add value to your cruise. Simply More can be attractive if you stop in ports that have excursions that interest you.  The mealtime wine is mediocre. On my most recent cruise in May, I tried some wine. Never found any that I liked.  My spouse enjoyed the beer choices.  We took several excursions. Some good. Some were poor.  The May cruise was our first experience using Simply More.  We had booked the cruise during a sale.  Simply More didn’t cost much. We had a great time.  If we had booked without a sale discount, Simply More wouldn’t be good.  
For many years, we booked a Caribbean cruise in the winter. It was often on Oceania. Having been to most of the Caribbean islands, we weren’t interested in excursions. We usually booked cruise only. Sadly, with the introduction of Simply More, you cannot book cruise only.  Oceania increased fares to cover cost of Simply More.  That was enough to make us look at other winter cruises.  We found lots of attractive cruise only options.  Going forward, we will only book Oceania if the itinerary includes places that have excursions that interest us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

Pretty sure I will byo aboard with some good stuff that I like.  That said, spending $450 for 2 meal time drink packages "worth" $560 if booked separately, plus $400 to spend on excursions, doesn't seem like a terrible deal.

Exactly—especially when you can BYO to supplement!

• Like 1