Junior suite guests making Coastal Kitchen reservations

We just got finished booking a (J4) Junior Suite on a Sep 2024 cruise on the Wonder. I realize we will only be able to dine there for dinner, but reservations are required according to everything we’ve read.

We also understand full suite guests can book their reservations through a suite concierge up to a week in advance while junior suite guests can only make their reservations once onboard the ship.

Since my DW needs to dine as early as possible, preferably around 5 pm, what might be a good strategy for us to book our reservations?

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

Since my DW needs to dine as early as possible, preferably around 5 pm, what might be a good strategy for us to book our reservations?

Go to CK upon boarding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We just got finished booking a (J4) Junior Suite on a Sep 2024 cruise on the Wonder. I realize we will only be able to dine there for dinner, but reservations are required according to everything we’ve read.

We also understand full suite guests can book their reservations through a suite concierge up to a week in advance while junior suite guests can only make their reservations once onboard the ship.

Just keep in mind that JS dining in CK is not guaranteed. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Just keep in mind that JS dining in CK is not guaranteed. 

Thanks. We had a feeling that might be the case, so we also booked early fixed dinner seating in the MDR as a Plan B. 

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks. We had a feeling that might be the case, so we also booked early fixed dinner seating in the MDR as a Plan B. 

Grant could assist in assuring you a reservation. 

The only issue you will have is that your key won’t open the door. So you will need to knock to get in. 

Getting an early reservation *shouldnt* be an issue. But we have noted a lot of pinnacles getting reservations between 5-5:30. 

In theory, you need to make reservations every single day, but we’ve always encountered great hosts that do it for us every day. 

Good Luck!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

The only issue you will have is that your key won’t open the door. So you will need to knock to get in. 

Getting an early reservation *shouldnt* be an issue. But we have noted a lot of pinnacles getting reservations between 5-5:30. 

In theory, you need to make reservations every single day, but we’ve always encountered great hosts that do it for us every day. 

Good Luck!!

Thanks! Good to know. But we have to knock to get in the CK dining room or more likely it’s the entrance to the entire suite area, and it’s only been a recent change to let JS guests eat in the CK.

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! Good to know. But we have to knock to get in the CK dining room or more likely it’s the entrance to the entire suite area, and it’s only been a recent change to let JS guests eat in the CK.

You will likely have to knock to get into CK.  Plus, if the doors are locked to get into the suite hallways ( where CK is located), there is a call button to be buzzed in. 

JS guests have had CK dinner access (on space available) for many years. Not sure why you think it is something new.  I don't recall when it started, but I know I used the benefit since 2018 or maybe earlier. 

M

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

JS guests have had CK dinner access (on space available) for many years. Not sure why you think it is something new.  I don't recall when it started, but I know I used the benefit since 2018 or maybe earlier. 

M

Maybe it's their first time in a JS.  🙄  

46 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

You will likely have to knock to get into CK.  Plus, if the doors are locked to get into the suite hallways ( where CK is located), there is a call button to be buzzed in. 

M

The first and only time we were in a Junior Suite was on the Freedom OTS back in 2014, and we were not allowed to dine in the CK. That BTW was the last time we cruised with RC until this 7-day cruise. But we may bid on an upgrade to a full suite, if they even offer that option, just to get a feel for the “suite” experience. 

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The first and only time we were in a Junior Suite was on the Freedom OTS back in 2014, and we were not allowed to dine in the CK. That BTW was the last time we cruised with RC until this 7-day cruise. But we may bid on an upgrade to a full suite, if they even offer that option, just to get a feel for the “suite” experience. 

Freedom doesn't have CK.  🙂  Coastal Kitchen is on Oasis, Quantum and Icon classes.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The first and only time we were in a Junior Suite was on the Freedom OTS back in 2014, and we were not allowed to dine in the CK. 

Freedom doesn't have CK.  It's only on Oasis, Quantum, and Icon classes.

Maybe you were thinking of the suite breakfast in a specialty restaurant?

Edited by Another_Critic

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

Freedom doesn't have CK.  🙂  Coastal Kitchen is on Oasis, Quantum and Icon classes.

The Freedom had some kind of area blocked off by a door for suite guests only. I always thought there was some type of special dining area back behind the door. If there was, obviously it wasn’t called the CK. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The Freedom had some kind of area blocked off by a door for suite guests only. I always thought there was some type of special dining area back behind the door. If there was, obviously it wasn’t called the CK. 

The suite lounge, with continental breakfast, mid-day snacks, and apps during happy hour.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That is the suite lounge that has happy hour drinks and appetizers.  There is also a specialty coffee machine in there and pastries/continental breakfast in the morning, cookies or small sandwiches at lunch time depending on the ship and a suite concierge that can help with reservations or issues.

• Like 1

Just now, Another_Critic said:

The suite lounge, with continental breakfast, mid-day snacks, and apps during happy hour.

There you go. But since we weren’t allowed in there, our creative imagination must have taken over. 😂

In any event it’s only a 7-day cruise for us to mostly see if we want to add RC to our list of cruise lines we book with, if the itinerary is a special one, as we enjoy going on 3-5 week cruises.

From past experience their entertainment has always been top notch. But needless to say if CK is not a guarantee when booking a JS, our chances of us booking one again are probably pretty slim. TBH the only reason we booked this one was the “lure” of the CK and the very reasonable $300 pp/day cruise fare. 

31 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

29 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Freedom doesn't have CK.  It's only on Oasis, Quantum, and Icon classes.

Maybe you were thinking of the suite breakfast in a specialty restaurant?

23 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

13 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

That is the suite lounge that has happy hour drinks and appetizers.  There is also a specialty coffee machine in there and pastries/continental breakfast in the morning, cookies or small sandwiches at lunch time depending on the ship and a suite concierge that can help with reservations or issues.

Are we stalking each other?  😄

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you everyone for your insights as well as who gets to do what “behind the green door!” They have been very helpful and hopefully 🤞 we’ll be able to actually secure reservations for at least a couple of dinners in the CK. 

BTW will we have to knock on “the door” every day to see if we can make CK dinner reservations for that evening or will it just be on embarkation day to reserve whatever we can for the entire cruise?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

2 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Good Luck!!

30 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

BTW will we have to knock on “the door” every day to see if we can make CK dinner reservations for that evening or will it just be on embarkation day to reserve whatever we can for the entire cruise?

Hopefully we’ll have a great host on our cruise where they will make all the reservations the first night! 🤞 😁

29 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thank you everyone for your insights as well as who gets to do what “behind the green door!” They have been very helpful and hopefully 🤞 we’ll be able to actually secure reservations for at least a couple of dinners in the CK. 

You won't have card entry access to get in, so you will have to knock or follow someone else in.  As far as reservations, it will depend on a lot of factors, including number of pinnacles on the ship, how many pre-reservations the full suite guests make and the management of CK for your sailing.  Some sailings they will require you to reserve your evening time each day, others will allow you to book for the entire sailing.  Just ask when you make your reservation the first day and try to book all then if you can.

• Thanks 1