Grand Princess - viewing area to observe bridge activity?

MuffinW

I'm part of a multigenerational sailing on the Grand Princess (Alaska in September). Several years ago, my husband and I sailed with my father and stepmother on the Voyager of the Seas. My father and husband had a blast watching the bridge crew from an observation area on the ship. Is there anything similar on the Grand Princess? I've cruised her twice before but don't recall a bridge viewing area.

47 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I could be wrong...but I don't *think* any Princess ship does this.  As best I recall, the only one I've seen was on a Royal Caribbean ship (??)

Thanks for responding. I suspected the Grand Princess doesn't have this (I sailed her in 2003 and 2007), but I was hoping...

Need to correct something in my original post - it was the Navigator of the Seas, not the Voyager - and as you suspected, Royal Caribbean.

1 hour ago, MuffinW said:

Thanks for responding. I suspected the Grand Princess doesn't have this (I sailed her in 2003 and 2007), but I was hoping...

Need to correct something in my original post - it was the Navigator of the Seas, not the Voyager - and as you suspected, Royal Caribbean.

Princess has restarted their free bridge tours. Ask the customer service desk when you get onboard if they will be doing them and to make a reservation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I could be wrong...but I don't *think* any Princess ship does this.  As best I recall, the only one I've seen was on a Royal Caribbean ship (??)

NCL has a viewing area as well. We haven't been on any newer ships but the three we have had them.

No viewing area. Really nothing to see. During normal sailing the bridge is staffed by two deck officers and two lookouts. The deck officers mainly monitor screens. Lookouts do just that, look for other marine activity around them.

7 hours ago, TRLD said:

Princess has restarted their free bridge tours. Ask the customer service desk when you get onboard if they will be doing them and to make a reservation.

There may also be a "ship tour". Before Covid, it was usually offered once each cruise (IIRC $150pp). Lots of walking all over the ship from top to bottom. At the end we got a bag with photos, apron, really nice robe and other goodies. We went to the bridge, engineering, kitchen, laundry, the entertainment cast dressing room, the anchor storage and other "off limits" areas. Totally worth the cost.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Do they still do the “behind the scenes” tours?  We did one about 10 years ago and it takes you everywhere- bridge, kitchen, storage, engineering, laundry, backstage, medical, bridge, etc. it was pricey but worth considering once. It’s probably a bargain now with the price of excursions! Plus they give you a bunch of stuff along with the tour. 

Guess I didn’t type fast enough as same thing was already posted. 

Edited by OSU Buckeyes 1980
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TRLD said:

Really !

I'll have to check into that. 

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

NCL has a viewing area as well. We haven't been on any newer ships but the three we have had them.

The "Jewel Class (Pearl, Gem, Jade, Jewel)" on NCL have Bridge Viewing Room Windows.  I believe that there might be one or two others ships within the NCL system that have a Bridge Viewing Room Window.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TRLD said:

Ah, thank you! We'll do that.

2 hours ago, skynight said:

No viewing area. Really nothing to see. During normal sailing the bridge is staffed by two deck officers and two lookouts. The deck officers mainly monitor screens. Lookouts do just that, look for other marine activity around them.

They enjoyed watching when the ship was going in and out of ports. I guess entertainment is in the eye of the beholder.

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

There may also be a "ship tour". Before Covid, it was usually offered once each cruise (IIRC $150pp). Lots of walking all over the ship from top to bottom. At the end we got a bag with photos, apron, really nice robe and other goodies. We went to the bridge, engineering, kitchen, laundry, the entertainment cast dressing room, the anchor storage and other "off limits" areas. Totally worth the cost.

Have not seen the ship tours since the restart. Keep expecting them to, but they have not been offered on any of the recent cruises we have been on.