Smart casual

Of course there has always been some level of happiness coinciding with some level of discontent but this seems to be much more so than in the past.  Also there are commentaries on unhappiness and displeasure among the crew too, and that is worrying. A happy ship depends on crew giving their best, and the majority of passengers happy with the service and entertainment as well as the overall atmosphere on a voyage. This seems to be an increasing problem at the moment. Also it is pretty obvious that Cunard are sending out more special offers and inducements for people to book certain sets of voyages - that would not be necessary if booking levels were already at a level the company felt was meeting their expectations. There must be quite a bit of naval gazing in private meetings of senior staff within Cunard at the moment - and they must surely have some management plans to make things improve if they want to be financially buoyant over the next few years.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ShipboardSteve said:

there has always been some level of happiness coinciding with some level of discontent but this seems to be much more so than in the past.

I think that you will find that is happening with all cruise lines.

Many passengers now no longer hold loyalty to any particular cruise line and will look around at what is on offer. One factor that is driving that is the repetitiveness of a cruise line's itineraries (there are only so many times that you want to visit, say, Gibraltar) so passengers are looking for alternatives.

This does not just apply to itineraries but other aspects of cruising such as ship's facilities, dining arrangements, price and of course dress code.

So is it discontent or that there is now more choice and passengers are exercising that choice?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShipboardSteve said:

It would certainly seem that Cunard have pretty well made a pigs ear of the transition to the new ship, with a huge number of complaints about dining services in particular, and not just on Queen Anne - with more complaints than in the past about service on board QM2 for example.

I don't think anyone would deny that, but it seems to be history now. On QM2 all the reports originated from the four night Hamburg round trip on May 12th and the TA Westbound on May 16th.

There have been several reports of good experiences since on this board and even YT vlogs. Travel Blog Jamie just completed a series on the crossing from June 23rd to 29th.

He seemed very happy with everything bar the food, which he rated "good" but would have preferred that it had been "really good". He and the two ladies he met up with raved about a few dishes but overall they thought it could be better and would have liked more choice on MDR menus.

He raved about the service, the ambience, and the comfort and cleanliness of his inside cabin.

Seems his experience was similar to many posters on this board who sailed on QM2 in June.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, ShipboardSteve said:

Of course there has always been some level of happiness coinciding with some level of discontent but this seems to be much more so than in the past.  Also there are commentaries on unhappiness and displeasure among the crew too, and that is worrying. A happy ship depends on crew giving their best, and the majority of passengers happy with the service and entertainment as well as the overall atmosphere on a voyage. This seems to be an increasing problem at the moment. Also it is pretty obvious that Cunard are sending out more special offers and inducements for people to book certain sets of voyages - that would not be necessary if booking levels were already at a level the company felt was meeting their expectations. There must be quite a bit of naval gazing in private meetings of senior staff within Cunard at the moment - and they must surely have some management plans to make things improve if they want to be financially buoyant over the next few years.

Much of this post, particularly the gloomier parts, seems unverified supposition.

More discontent than in the past: read what people thought when QV entered service.

Unhappiness among crew: another thing that has been a recurring theme as long as I’ve been reading posts. I can see no evidence it is an increasing problem, and certainly not on QA on my recent voyage.

More special offers, etc: again how can you possibly know? I only wish they would send some to me, but they don’t.

Only necessary if booking levels are too low. I should have thought that even if booking levels were stunningly high, they would always want to fill the last few cabins, preferably with keen drinkers and gamblers.

Speculation about private meetings? Well, really, perhaps they are knocking back fizz at how well their new ship is doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

If you must continue to use the word dumb, Cunard would be dumb if they didn't change to meet the cruise market of today.

I miss 'the old' but realise there might not be a Cunard in a few years time if the tweaks hadn't been put in place and as there is nothing stopping anyone 'dressing for dinner', and the vast majority of passengers do  scrub up well, there will be a Cunard for years to come.

I think you are like me, and just don’t fuss about these things too much.

When I turn up in the restaurant in the evening, I tend not to be preoccupied with checking out other people’s clothes as much as greeting those at neighbouring tables. However, I do sometimes notice. Recently, turning up after most diners, on Black and White Gala Night on QA, I just thought how splendid everyone looked. However, what I tend not to notice is the tiny percentage of people who may be flouting the dress code, unless they are blatant and actually cross my path. Thereafter, after wondering, if, perhaps, they are illiterate, I tend to put them out of my mind. I certainly don’t give much further thought to them or let it spoil my evening. For others such a sight seems second in unpleasantness only to a large iceberg off the starboard bow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

However, what I tend not to notice is the tiny percentage of people who may be flouting the dress code, unless they are blatant and actually cross my path

I do hope people don’t spend the time and money to go on Cunard just to flout the dress code.
But one example of why we may see a passenger not dressed to code - - we sat next to a solo traveling lady on an excursion and she said her airlines lost her luggage and, being in Alaska, she had no idea when she’ll get her clothes. DW ran into her a couple days later and still no luck with her luggage. She said she’s been mixing and matching the best she can do and had a good attitude about it. I’m sure a few pax every voyage or so have lost luggage problems adversely affecting their dress-up plans. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, NE John said:

I do hope people don’t spend the time and money to go on Cunard just to flout the dress code.
But one example of why we may see a passenger not dressed to code - - we sat next to a solo traveling lady on an excursion and she said her airlines lost her luggage and, being in Alaska, she had no idea when she’ll get her clothes. DW ran into her a couple days later and still no luck with her luggage. She said she’s been mixing and matching the best she can do and had a good attitude about it. I’m sure a few pax every voyage or so have lost luggage problems adversely affecting their dress-up plans. 

Yes, air travel adds a whole new set of factors to worry about. It is probably easier for women to overcome than men, as an informal dress will probably do for a gala night, in a way informal trousers might not.

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, air travel adds a whole new set of factors to worry about. It is probably easier for women to overcome than men, as an informal dress will probably do for a gala night, in a way informal trousers might not.

Agree, but also, if my luggage was lost , I'd appreciate some flexibility.  I would be most annoyed if I  was  told had to eat in the non dress code part of ship. 

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I think you are like me, and just don’t fuss about these things too much.

When I turn up in the restaurant in the evening, I tend not to be preoccupied with checking out other people’s clothes as much as greeting those at neighbouring tables. However, I do sometimes notice. Recently, turning up after most diners, on Black and White Gala Night on QA, I just thought how splendid everyone looked. However, what I tend not to notice is the tiny percentage of people who may be flouting the dress code, unless they are blatant and actually cross my path. Thereafter, after wondering, if, perhaps, they are illiterate, I tend to put them out of my mind. I certainly don’t give much further thought to them or let it spoil my evening. For others such a sight seems second in unpleasantness only to a large iceberg off the starboard bow.

We have very similar views and I agree  with all you said including how lovely everyone [ignoring the odd few] looked on the ship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Agree, but also, if my luggage was lost , I'd appreciate some flexibility.  I would be most annoyed if I  was  told had to eat in the non dress code part of ship. 

I would hope they would ask if they could lend you some clothes.

17 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Of course, but I don’t see it as an excuse to wear whatever one wants. We pack with risk in mind. We check a bag but also have a carry on with one jacket, some khakis, a couple of collared shirts, one bathing suit, a couple of pairs of shorts, t-shirts etc.. in case the luggage doesn’t arrive. And since we would never fly in to arrive the day of departure, there is always time to buy a few things. Travel insurance (and in Canada the rules on lost baggage carrier obligations) will reimburse for some of the costs.

Last year our luggage was delayed on a flight into Croatia. We were leaving on a sailboat in three days. Due to the carrier’s horrendous communications, we had no idea that the luggage would join us in time so we went out on day 2 and bought bathing suits, tank tops and some sandals. Air Canada’s obligation was $400 per person so we were completely reimbursed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

I am guilty of this with both eyeglasses and sunglasses as I am blind without them......hope that is ok too 😉

Me too, I recently had cataract surgery and in a bright light I still have floaters.

4 hours ago, david63 said:

I think that you will find that is happening with all cruise lines.

Many passengers now no longer hold loyalty to any particular cruise line and will look around at what is on offer. One factor that is driving that is the repetitiveness of a cruise line's itineraries (there are only so many times that you want to visit, say, Gibraltar) so passengers are looking for alternatives.

This does not just apply to itineraries but other aspects of cruising such as ship's facilities, dining arrangements, price and of course dress code.

So is it discontent or that there is now more choice and passengers are exercising that choice?

On Caribbean cruises I have been to 70% of the cruised islands.  

Sometimes the ship is the destination, for example Celebrity Beyond looks ab fab and I want to try it even though I have been to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Bimini land visits.

1 minute ago, Judyrem said:

Me too...I still have floaters.

Me too. Mine even have their own name, Weiss rings. Add photophobia to the mix and my sunglasses are on and off all the time so keeping them on my head means I don't forget them...until I forget their on my head and I panic 'cos I can't find them!😕

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DRG-Mobile said:

Of course, but I don’t see it as an excuse to wear whatever one wants. We pack with risk in mind. We check a bag but also have a carry on with one jacket, some khakis, a couple of collared shirts, one bathing suit, a couple of pairs of shorts, t-shirts etc.. in case the luggage doesn’t arrive. And since we would never fly in to arrive the day of departure, there is always time to buy a few things. Travel insurance (and in Canada the rules on lost baggage carrier obligations) will reimburse for some of the costs.

Last year our luggage was delayed on a flight into Croatia. We were leaving on a sailboat in three days. Due to the carrier’s horrendous communications, we had no idea that the luggage would join us in time so we went out on day 2 and bought bathing suits, tank tops and some sandals. Air Canada’s obligation was $400 per person so we were completely reimbursed.

Exactly DRG-Mobile , Like you ( and hopefully the majority of 'sensible' seasoned cruisers) I've always packed with risk in mind. What many folk may not know is that a 'Suit/Dress Carrier is acceptable to take onboard in additional to one carry-on bag on most 'International Airlines' whether in economy or first  (worked in the industry  for years)    and if one smiles to the cabin crew they will offer to hang it up in their crew wardrobe

If travelling by air to join a ship I'll always ensure I've the 'minimum' of formal attire as carry -on .

As for smart attire that's no problem, I'll aways present my self at an airline check-in desk ( or ship check-in)  dressed smartly , often refer to it my going away outfit.  Always on the look out for an involuntary upgrade.  😀        

Edited by Bell Boy

5 hours ago, D&N said:

There have been several reports of good experiences since on this board and even YT vlogs. Travel Blog Jamie just completed a series on the crossing from June 23rd to 29th.

I believe the difference between Jamie and the two other Vloggers who reported from “Fourth Class” is that Jamie definitely put himself in a Crossing state of mind while the other two did not. Jamie seemed to enjoy whatever he was experiencing at the moment and that’s a healthy attitude for crossing the Atlantic. While his Britannia experience was good but not perfect, his attitude on QM2 was. He also mentioned the Insight lectures and showed all the daily activities. 

• Like 5

I can ignore the few who don't 'scrub up' for Gala nights but what really 'gets' me are the 'Peaky Blinder's'  outfits on the 20's night.

Vintage 'gangster' style can look extremely chic but not the way some chaps dress so please, dress to the 20's if you must but for goodness sake, leave the flat caps and inflatable guns at home.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I pack with risk in mind but it's casual comfortable and light,  but that wouldn't  cover a formal night, and I'm not I to rental clothes. I don't want hand luggage that weighs as much as a suitcase. Nor do I want the bother of a suit carrier, yes I know  they will hang them up. So no lessons thank you about be prepared and pack kitchen sink in hand luggage. 

As you can't control if your luggage is delayed it can't be seen as a strategy to dodge dress code never mind what the unsympathetic dress code fanatics say. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

Cunard is doing just fine, remember they already attested to record high bookings. As to internet cruise vloggers I am picky about who I'll trust exactly because some of them make no effort to know anything about what sort of ship/line they are on and then basically bash the ship/line (or gush) for clicks. That's why I mention Tips for Travelers, Emma Cruises, Ritzy Travel Guide and TravelTouristVideos as good ones - they DO take the time to understand what the ship, line and trip are about and adjust their mindset accordingly. 

Yes there were some maiden voyage hiccups on QA - they will pass. All new ships have some hiccups especially in service as the new crew gets used to working together. I will note I think Cunard erred by pulling over so many experienced staff from the other three Queens to get QA started up - all that did was cause disruptions fleet wide instead of just one ship. But again give it time and it settles down like it is already. 

As to dress code, it will work also. Those of us (me included) who prefer dressing all the way up will do so. And remember there are still reasonably dressy minimums. Even Smart Casual requires a collared shirt and dress pants. I would also note that the TAs and especially the winter ones seem to stay dressier. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JT1101 said:

Cunard is doing just fine, remember they already attested to record high bookings. As to internet cruise vloggers I am picky about who I'll trust exactly because some of them make no effort to know anything about what sort of ship/line they are on and then basically bash the ship/line (or gush) for clicks. That's why I mention Tips for Travelers, Emma Cruises, Ritzy Travel Guide and TravelTouristVideos as good ones - they DO take the time to understand what the ship, line and trip are about and adjust their mindset accordingly. 

Yes there were some maiden voyage hiccups on QA - they will pass. All new ships have some hiccups especially in service as the new crew gets used to working together. I will note I think Cunard erred by pulling over so many experienced staff from the other three Queens to get QA started up - all that did was cause disruptions fleet wide instead of just one ship. But again give it time and it settles down like it is already. 

As to dress code, it will work also. Those of us (me included) who prefer dressing all the way up will do so. And remember there are still reasonably dressy minimums. Even Smart Casual requires a collared shirt and dress pants. I would also note that the TAs and especially the winter ones seem to stay dressier. 

Many (by no means all, I’m sure) of the maiden voyage hiccups had settled down even by the second voyage, which I was on. And the second week of that was much smoother than the first.

25 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I pack with risk in mind but it's casual comfortable and light,  but that wouldn't  cover a formal night, and I'm not I to rental clothes. I don't want hand luggage that weighs as much as a suitcase. Nor do I want the bother of a suit carrier, yes I know  they will hang them up. So no lessons thank you about be prepared and pack kitchen sink in hand luggage. 

As you can't control if your luggage is delayed it can't be seen as a strategy to dodge dress code never mind what the unsympathetic dress code fanatics say. 

Absolutely.  If I'm taking "risk" clothes with me for an Alaskan cruise, the top of my list to carry-on is definitely not going to be a suit or tuxedo! 🙂

3 minutes ago, Blokie said:

Absolutely.  If I'm taking "risk" clothes with me for an Alaskan cruise, the top of my list to carry-on is definitely not going to be a suit or tuxedo! 🙂

Then you should take cruises where those items are not expected during the cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Many (by no means all, I’m sure) of the maiden voyage hiccups had settled down even by the second voyage, which I was on. And the second week of that was much smoother than the first.

There will be one or two issues [lifts being the main one for wheelchair'd passengers] which can't be addressed but Our Annie will now have settled down.

I will find out on our next venture and give of my opinion. I'm expecting great things. 🙂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

It sounds like you should travel on cruise lines that don’t have dress expectations. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DRG-Mobile said:

Then you should take cruises where those items are not expected during the cruise. 

Rubbish.

If luggage fails to arrive [in time], consideration should be expected and given to the lack of clothes, formal or not.

There isn't a cat in hell's chance I'd have added a carry on suit carrier to any flight baggage and I speak as one who has max allowance on any flights we took/will take.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2