US Customs at Vancouver port?

I am trying to figure out if we can use the MPC app for our cruise out of Vancouver. I don't see the Vancouver port as an option. I only see the Vancouver Airport. AM I missing something? Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Boarding at Vancouver or disembarking in Vancouver? In either case it would be the Canadian Border Services Agency; you're either entering or leaving Canada. Or just boarding on your way to Victoria. There wouldn't be a US MPC.

Leaving Vancouver airport your preclear US customs and immigration. MPC probably works there (we have Global Entry; it definitely works!). Landing at Vancouver you're entering Canada so the US MPC wouldn't help.

EDITED: I guess I actually don't know if you clear US immigration in Vancouver if your next stop is Alaska, of if you clear on your first Alaskan port. Or if it's different for a round trip. 

Edited by markeb

May 2024, when departing the Vancouver cruise terminal for an Alaska cruise, the last stop in the check-in process was a facial recognition photo for US Immigration.  When departing an Alaska cruise in Vancouver, only a Canadian Customs Form was collected.

When departing the Vancouver airport, the last step was US Immigration screening where Global Entry with facial recognition screening was a speedy experience.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, markeb said:

EDITED: I guess I actually don't know if you clear US immigration in Vancouver if your next stop is Alaska, of if you clear on your first Alaskan port. Or if it's different for a round trip. 

A passenger boarding a ship in Vancouver whose next port is a US port, clears US Immigration and Customs in Vancouver as part of their boarding procedures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

A passenger boarding a ship in Vancouver whose next port is a US port, clears US Immigration and Customs in Vancouver as part of their boarding procedures. 

32 minutes ago, Crew News said:

May 2024, when departing the Vancouver cruise terminal for an Alaska cruise, the last stop in the check-in process was a facial recognition photo for US Immigration.  When departing an Alaska cruise in Vancouver, only a Canadian Customs Form was collected.

When departing the Vancouver airport, the last step was US Immigration screening where Global Entry with facial recognition screening was a speedy experience.

We are cruising from Vancouver to Alaska. Did you do anything for US customs before you got to the port to speed up the process? I was reading that you can use the MPC app and there is a special line you can go through. Thanks

3 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

We are cruising from Vancouver to Alaska. Did you do anything for US customs before you got to the port to speed up the process? I was reading that you can use the MPC app and there is a special line you can go through. Thanks

There is nothing to be done prior to arrival at the Canada Place cruise terminal if you are enroute to Alaska.  US Immigration is the last step of the check-in process where each passenger steps up to a facial recognition camera.  No paperwork is viewed or required. 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

The cruise port in Vancouver is not a supported location for MPC.   No 'shortcuts' there!  See FAQ on Where Eligible Travelers Can Use MPC:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

Edited by d9704011
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

Thank you! I will delete that app!

I tried using it in YUL a while ago.... found it to be a PITA and no dedicated MPC line in any event.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Thanks! And apologies to the OP. I totally misread their question.

• Like 1

I don't know why they bother with the app. I had it ready to go this weekend at Port Everglades, pier 2 but never submitted it. We got off, got our luggage "smiled for the ipad" and walked away.

• Like 1