Need Advice: Booking Cruise to Norway /Norwegian Govt Ban on cruising UNESCO Heritage fjords

Hello All!

Well, this is a fine how do you do! Cruising to Norway is on my bucket list. I thought I had plenty of time to make that happen but I just learned of the government's 2026 ban on cruising through the UNESCO Heritage fjords. Now I'm panicking! We have a Hawaiian cruise scheduled for February 2025 and we typically do one "big" cruise a year. But now I'm worried that if we don't squeeze in the trip for summer of 2025, we will miss "must see" experiences.

I've spent the past two days trying to sort out how this ban will impact itineraries and how much it will compromise the travel experience starting 2026. Since I thought I had more time, I hadn't really done any research until now and frankly I'm a bit overwhelmed. Based on what I've been reading, I believe that the fjords impacted are Geirangerfjord, Nærøyfjord, and Aurlandsfjord which means the ports of Geiranger, Hellesylt, and Flåm will not be accessible. Of course there will be other fjords that can be seen but how much will we miss if we don't see the iconic deep fjords? Geiranger and Flåm are two of the deep fjords but Olden is another deep fjord and I believe it will still be accessible.

Experiencing fjords would be an imperative for me but we also want to explore the other aspects of Norway and would be open to booking an itinerary that includes other countries such as Iceland, Sweden or British Isles. When I did an Alaskan cruise 15 years ago, we did two days of glacier cruising and the rest were ports with excursions. That felt like a good balance. 

I'd love to hear your advice on timing and the significance of what would be lost if we plan to go after 2026. 

Sorry I'm all over the place and rambling. Thanks so much for reading!!

I'm not an expert because I was traveling with a 2 and 6 year old, so we had to factor in ease of travel, which is hopefully not something you need to deal with.  

Not all ships are banned after 2026, just those that are not zero emissions.  There's also the possibility that this may be delayed and more slowly implemented.  

But to answer your question, we did a 7 day fjord cruise, and felt that Olden, Geiranger and Flam were our three favorite ports.  Olden will remain accessible, which will give you access to the Loen Skylift and Briskdal Glacier (Briskdal was a lovely bus ride and hike, although the glacier itself hit hard by global warming).  I cannot comment upon this myself, since I visited the Loen skylit 3 days after it opened, and there were not ship tours running there yet), but more recent posters have reported long lines to access the skylift.  I would be concerned about how crowded Olden may become if the other popular fjords are no longer accessible.  

The other issue is that the fjords are stunning on the clear day we had in Geiranger, but less spectacular on the cloudy days we experienced in Olden and Flam.  If you are only visiting one fjord for one day, you might not get clear weather.  

I'm not an expert, but I think Hallsam might have mentioned the possibility of ships in the future docking at Alesund and then being able to take an excursion to Geiranger.  You'd miss the spectacular sail in to Geiranger, but visiting the various beautiful viewpoints in Geiranger only takes a few hours, so this should be doable with a longer port day.  

In Flam, the highlight is the Flam railroad, but people have noted that other parts of the Norwegian trains were just as beautiful, so perhaps those would become more popular if Flam is no longer accessible.  The Flam fjord itself is gorgeous, so that would also be lost.  

• Like 1

You are right that a 'zero emission' zone will be introduced in Geirangerfjord, Nærøyfjord and Aurlandsfjord from 2026. It will affect Geiranger and Flåm but not Hellesylt.
As mentioned above by @kitkat343, Olden will also still be possible - in fact a very nice port.
Perhaps there will be a transitional arrangement so that LNG-powered ships must sail to Geiranger and Flåm until 2030. A number of cruise lines already have LNG ships in operation.
It is also my expectation that there might be alternative ports (such as Hellesylt for example) so that it will be possible with excursions with boat tours to Geiranger and Flåm, but this will certainly mean more expensive excursions.
You have to follow along and see what happens during the coming year.

• Like 1

Another option is to take the Norway in a Nutshell tour offered by Flam. You can make it a land trip and tour the various fjords that way. We have booked cruises in 2024 and 2025 visiting various parts of Norway, including Svalsbard just because of the upcoming ban. 

• Like 2

Just back from Norway in May (we did Flam and Geiranger). I'd do everything I could to get there before they stop the ships from coming in. To say they were spectacular sail-ins is a major understatement. We were on deck by 4:45 the morning we went to Flam and were just absolutely stunned by the scenery. Thought nothing could ever top it. Then the next day we got up early again and sailed into Geiranger and were just blown away. I love Alaska and have been three times. Norway is far, far superior to Alaska. Those fjords are incredible. We were there in May and the waterfalls were just thundering. And there were so many! It was fantastic. If it were me (and it's not but if it were...) I'd cancel Hawaii, eat the lost deposit, and get on a boat to Norway ASAP. Hawaii isn't going anywhere. Getting to Flam and Geiranger may well become much more complicated in the future. Just my thoughts ... but you asked for 'em! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We just returned from the most amazing cruise on the Sky Princess - absolutely wonderful itinerary. Norway wasn't even on my radar, but it was on my husband's ever since he heard a story about the Seven Sisters waterfalls when he was in elementary school. He had heard about the ban and made me sit down and watch a video about cruising Norway to convince me we had to go, and we had to do asap. I'm so glad we made this bucket list cruise this year - maybe one of the best cruises ever and the most beautiful destination. Here is a link to the review I just did on the Princess board with photos - maybe that will help you decide!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2024 at 6:49 PM, BuckeyeMark said:

We were on deck by 4:45 the morning we went to Flam and were just absolutely stunned by the scenery. Thought nothing could ever top it. 

I have to agree... the sail - ins and sail - outs can be stunning (weather permitting).    I was also on deck at 4:45 am for Flam (by myself as DW and all other passengers were sleeping!)  

Either go soon or follow the LNG rules, ships, etc. as Hallasam suggests. 

image.thumb.jpeg.33dc3d829dab5f8b2890e7276279c247.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We just returned from cruise that included Geiranger and Olden, so we added Norway in a  Nutshell, Oslo to Bergen. You could also do Bergen to Oslo.  NIN includes the Flam Railway and a cruise in the fjord. We flew to Oslo, arriving on the 17th of May to one big party, Constitution Day.  I believe you can also take a ferry or catch a day tour to Geiranger from Berge, Viator offers several.  After a few days in Bergen we flew to London and boarded the Sky Princess.  That cruise included Geiranger and Olden. 

I’d suggest doing something like that.  Combo of a cruise with NIN and maybe a day trip from  Bergen.    Cruise  line schedules will be out soon (if not already), so even if there is a delay, the itineraries will be set.  Princess seems to have already dropped Geiranger and Flam from their 2025 itineraries.

Edited by milolii
  • Like 2

We just did something similar.  We have been to Hawaii a few times and had planned to return always renting a condo in Maui.  Due to the fires in Lahaina we had our condo cancelled and after many years returned to cruising.  I was always a warm weather, beach, caribbean vacation person but sailed out of Southampton this year for northern Spain and France with Princess. The cruise was amazing and fell in love with London. Didn't miss the warm weather which surprised me (coming from Canada that has enough winter).  Decided to return to sailing from Southampton next year and heading on a cruise that includes Geiranger and Flam with Celebrity. Train is a must for my husband. We do one big trip a year also so decided on Norway for 2025.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information and great advice. Lots to think about here. 

I think the best bet is to bite the bullet and do two big trips in 2025. 

On 7/8/2024 at 5:49 PM, BuckeyeMark said:

I'd cancel Hawaii, eat the lost deposit, and get on a boat to Norway ASAP. Hawaii isn't going anywhere.

The Hawaii trip is to celebrate my Mister's 70th birthday in November and his retirement in December. It's my gift to him and he picked the destination. If I was traveling solo, I'd consider it. I'm turning 65 in June next year and also retiring that month so I think I can make a case for doing both in one year because I want to get equal treatment and  the window is closing. I'll broach the subject this weekend.

I see you're a buckeye. My first job was working at the "other" state school southeast of you. 😉 Loved my time at OU! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fleur25 said:

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information and great advice. Lots to think about here. 

The Hawaii trip is to celebrate my Mister's 70th birthday in November and his retirement in December. It's my gift to him and he picked the destination. If I was traveling solo, I'd consider it. I'm turning 65 in June next year and also retiring that month so I think I can make a case for doing both in one year because I want to get equal treatment and  the window is closing. I'll broach the subject this weekend.

I see you're a buckeye. My first job was working at the "other" state school southeast of you. 😉 Loved my time at OU! 

Good luck with that. I'm sure you deserve a special trip too. Go for it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fleur25 said:

2 big trips is an excellent plan!  Have a great time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fleur25 said:

Go Bobcats! Enjoy BOTH trips.  My cruise report is over in the Celebrity pages - lotsa pics and talk about Norway. It'll make you want to go NOW!  Here's the Seven Sisters (from a RIB boat tour). 7Sisters.thumb.jpg.9de88f8024d6ba0ffbfc988b5c600160.jpg

• Like 3

Ya;ll are awesome! Thanks so much! Ok, more questions! 

When we did the Alaska tour there were two days of "glacier cruising" and during those days there were no excursions, like a sea day. The scenery was magnificent. But the itineraries I'm looking at for summer 2025 all have excursions listed for locations that have fjords like Olden and Skjolden. 

Can you tell me what a "fjord day" would look like? Should we plan to be up at 4 am to see the ship arrive into the fjord? I have read several folks accounts of doing that as a trip highlight. Do the excursions show a more up close experience with the fjords? 

Thanks!!

Aloha,  Yes, you should get up and go out on deck.  Check the ships timing though. Sometimes they arrive later in the day so may not enter the fjord until later.  Those two trips should be wonderful. I’d look at the crusie @Eno mentioned.  

On 7/10/2024 at 5:52 PM, Fleur25 said:

When we did the Alaska tour there were two days of "glacier cruising" and during those days there were no excursions, like a sea day. The scenery was magnificent. But the itineraries I'm looking at for summer 2025 all have excursions listed for locations that have fjords like Olden and Skjolden. 

Can you tell me what a "fjord day" would look like? Should we plan to be up at 4 am to see the ship arrive into the fjord? I have read several folks accounts of doing that as a trip highlight. Do the excursions show a more up close experience with the fjords? 

Thanks!!

Find out when the ship will be in the fjord AND BE ON DECK FOR IT. It will be quiet and wonderful ... and it's why you went to Norway. In various port towns there may be chances to get back out in the fjord on a smaller boat and that can be good too. We did RIB boats in Geiranger and that was spectacular. There's really nothing like Norway's fjords. Get all the fjord you can get!

On 7/10/2024 at 6:52 PM, Fleur25 said:

Thanks!!

In Olden, the many passengers will have excursions that visit either (or possibly both) the Loen Skylift and/or  Briskdal Glacier. The Loen Skylift will take you to the top of a glacier, and the Briskdal glacier you hike or take a troll car to look a small glacier that's been hit hard by global warming (hike and drive there are beautiful though).    You won't see the fjord sail in unless you choose a boat excursion.  There are RIB boats available in Geiranger, and might also be available in Olden - I'm not sure.  But the sail in/sail out is spectacular from your cruise ship.

16 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

Check out Hurtigruten cruise line. They do Norway cruises right and respectfully! They currently have zero emission ships.

Hurtigruten and its route sister line, Havila, are coastal ferry ships, not traditional "cruises".  I highly recommend Havila as I was just up and down the coast round trip Bergen in June. Hurtigruten is a great experience as well, but keep in mind they are not "cruises".

Norway is so beautiful....just go!

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for their wonderful suggestions and advice. We booked an August 2025 cruise that includes Flam and everything else I really wanted to see. We had to book with Celebrity but we're very happy with the ports. 

Thanks again for all your wonderful suggestions. I love the folks on Cruise Critic!! ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fleur25 said:

Just wanted to thank everyone for their wonderful suggestions and advice. We booked an August 2025 cruise that includes Flam and everything else I really wanted to see. We had to book with Celebrity but we're very happy with the ports. 

Thanks again for all your wonderful suggestions. I love the folks on Cruise Critic!! ❤️❤️❤️

We sailed on Cunard with a 2 and 6 year old (Cunard is actually a wonderful line, but not designed for small children!  But they take 2 year olds into drop off care and visited Norway so Cunard it was.). And we had an absolutely wonderful time.  I've never sailed with Celebrity, but would always recommend itinerary over cruise ship/line for Norway and the rest of Europe and hope you have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 3:52 PM, Fleur25 said:

Thanks!!

I saw your post. When I learn about the closing of fjords, we were not hesitant to book a Norway cruise right away.  We are currently booked on the MSC Euribia which is the newest ship from MSC.  It came out last June.  The ship visit 3 ports of Norway and one port of Germany, but it hits all the 3 ports I wanted to see and especially the fjords that will be closing.  The ports are Hellesylt, Alesund, and Flam.  When we are in Hellesylt, we will be taking the ferry to see the Geirangerfjord.  While in Geiranger, we also have time to do a short tour to see some of the stunning sites, then we cruise back to Hellesylt to board our ship.  In Alesund, we haven't decide if we wanted to do the modified trollstigen tour or to roam around Alesund.  In Flam, we are doing the Naeroyfjord cruise and in the afternoon, we are doing the Flam railway.  I would urge you to book your excursions early.  We didn't book any of these with the cruise line.  The cruise line charge double the price of what we book from outside. Have fun planning.  We can't wait to see these fjords before we can't no longer see just like how lucky we are to see St. Petersburg and now, you can't really visit the city anymore.  

• Like 1