Oceania Vista demographics

Considering a cruise on Vista next summer for my wife and I and our daughter. Our daughter will be 49 and is single. Not much of a party woman and not looking for romance although she wouldn’t pass it up. The cruise goes to the Baltic’s and Scandinavia. So what ages does the ship usually have and are there enough younger cruisers that she won’t feel out of place?,

We're on Sirena in the Baltic on a 22-night B2B starting Aug 28th, so I'll at least have some guestimate of the demographics on an O cruise in the Baltic in late-late summer, early fall.

But, having sailed on Riviera (10 nights 12/2021, W Carib), Sirena (10 nights 11/2022, E Carib), and Riviera (20 nights 10-11/2023, Med), I've not encountered too many singles in the 40-60 demographic. Very, very few under 20. Smattering of 20 and 30 somethings. Met a nice paid of siblings (two daughters) in their early 30s on Sirena. They had a good time but there weren't many their age.

I'm now 60 and was 58 on our 1st cruise. Felt young. Most of the passengers have been over 65, mainly over 70. Many of the solos we've met were widows, in their 70s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Lenbro1944 said:

Considering a cruise on Vista next summer for my wife and I and our daughter. Our daughter will be 49 and is single. Not much of a party woman and not looking for romance although she wouldn’t pass it up. The cruise goes to the Baltic’s and Scandinavia. So what ages does the ship usually have and are there enough younger cruisers that she won’t feel out of place?,

I don’t think that your daughter will feel out of place. But it probably won’t be too many singles of her age on board to mingle with either. Though it definitely won’t be a party atmosphere on the ship but with Vista being the bigger and newest of Oceania ships there will be some options for your daughter to entertain herself.

• Like 1

I can't tell how old people are anymore, they're either young or old. Young is from 18-45, normal is my age range, 45-75, everyone past that is old. But I can usually enjoy most people's company. One of our best friends is 80, if you didn't know it you'd think he was in his mid 60s. 

But getting back to the OP, there probably won't be many singles in your daughters age group. If she goes hopefully she likes to read. 

• Like 3

Vista in June 2024 had lots of 30- and 40-somethings although most were in couple format. Insignia in December 2023 in Caribbean skewed much older. 20 years ago we had an amazing Baltic cruise - Ponant not O but I trust you and your daughter will have a lovely time! 

It may be that the demographics on our Vista cruise were skewed because it was a longer, transatlantic cruise. The vast majority of us were much older than the OP's daughter. We are in our early 70s and I'd guess most passengers were of similar age - say, 65 - 75. I'd reckon  the next largest group were 75+

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harters said:

It may be that the demographics on our Vista cruise were skewed because it was a longer, transatlantic cruise. The vast majority of us were much older than the OP's daughter. We are in our early 70s and I'd guess most passengers were of similar age - say, 65 - 75. I'd reckon  the next largest group were 75+

Your experience is typical on most Oceania cruises. Besides perhaps a summer Alaskan cruise, the only thing that affects the demographics is whether a large Alumni or Wine Group are on board. However, those groups may mostly stay to themselves. Who’d want to hang out with a bunch of Texas Aggies anyway??😇😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Your daughter won't feel out of place.  You don't say the length of your cruise but I was on a 7-day Mediterranean cruise last year and there were many 40-somethings on the ship. I'm in my late 60's and felt like one of the old ones, which I was. A shorter cruise will attract younger passengers while a TA, longer cruise will attract older. In any case, your daughter will feel welcomed.  Enjoy your cruise with your family. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

a large Alumni or Wine Group are on board. However, those groups may mostly stay to themselves.

On our first O cruise, on Marina in 2017, there was a large group of cosmetic surgeons who were a complete pain in the arse, particularly the night we were in Polo. They were spread over a goodly number of tables in the restaurant so their conversation between each was, to be polite, rowdy. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

Your daughter won't feel out of place.  You don't say the length of your cruise but I was on a 7-day Mediterranean cruise last year and there were many 40-somethings on the ship. I'm in my late 60's and felt like one of the old ones, which I was. A shorter cruise will attract younger passengers while a TA, longer cruise will attract older. In any case, your daughter will feel welcomed.  Enjoy your cruise with your family. 

Yes, but, Med cruises are definitely outliers for the age of the cruisers on Oceania, especially in the summer. So being the Baltic in the summer chances are that yes it will skew younger than normal. I think it will all depend on the daughters desires for activities. 

• Like 2

Our observation is that the overall demographic is changing no doubt to the increasing number of loyal Oceania passengers who are all aging.  Even when in Japan this year, most were in the 70 plus category which surprised us as it was a port intensive itinerary and many had mobility issues. However, with Covid delays and then Japan opening up later than other countries, both could be a factor in having more older passengers who had Japan on their bucket lists and were going regardless of age/mobility. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Simply put: I would never recommend a 49 year old single female cruise Oceania. Wrong venue, imho. 

Just curious.  Why do you think that a single 49 year old single female should not cruise Oceania? What do you mean by "wrong venue?"  Do you have a pre-conceived notion of her interests?

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Just curious.  Why do you think that a single 49 year old single female should not cruise Oceania? What do you mean by "wrong venue?"  Do you have a pre-conceived notion of her interests?

This*****************

I think it's important to know what is your, and your daughter's, perception/purpose of the trip?

Is this primarily a family-trip and she will be together mostly with her folks?  Or do you and/or her see this as a vacation that she herself would independently book to travel without her parents?

My answer, at least, would depend on that knowledge.

PS:  My wife and I took our first O cruise (Panama Canal) in our late-40s and loved it.  But we weren't looking for other company.  

• Like 1

Since Covid, I travel solo. Oceania Does a great job of organizing solo get togethers. The first scheduled get together is probably the evening on embarkation day, if not then certainly on the following evening. It is always listed in the Currents schedule. 
IIRC, when I was traveling solo on O, the solo get togethers start around 5:30 ish (don’t quote me on this!), it was hosted, meaning it’s an open bar with a Associate Cruise Director as Host.*. I’m always surprised by how many solos are on board. The Host organizes dinner ressys in the MDR for any solos who would like to eat together. We generally had 2 large tables of diners. Again, 2 complimentary bottles of wine were provided to each table (1 red, 1 white). This was my experience traveling solo on O. I thought it was a great experience!

*Last time on Sirena, the solos were hosted by one of the dancers, a lovely young woman. It was her first experience hosting the solos, so  hopefully she is now more experienced.

• Like 2