Ordering appetiser as main course

babs135

We will be dining in the mdr on the Queen Anne shortly and have been looking at some of the menus people have posted. Am I correct in thinking that I can order an appetiser as a main course?  One particular menu had me thinking that I would've been spoilt for choice of an appetiser but didn't particularly care for any of the mains.

• Like 1

And I'll chime in with a confirmation too. You can have multiple starters, soups, desserts, it's no problem to do that since there will be plenty of them available. It's not unusual to do this or extra work for anyone. So for lunch in particular it may make sense to skip the entrées and have a soup and 2 starters. Note though that the lunch sandwich of the day can be more substantial than it sounds. If you do want something more substantial but dislike the entrées then do ask if there is anything else available, they can usually do a pasta dish en spec, and there is an always available menu too, though that's supposed to be ordered in advance.

• Thanks 1

I suppose another option if you only wanted one plate would be to ask for two portions of a starter served on the same plate, effectively as a main.

Or a selection of starters like tapas.

Another thing was that we wouldn't normally have two main meals per day so didn't take dessert at lunch but we did ask for oranges, as we normally have fruit with our meal at home. We'd have been happy to be given an orange each to peel but they came carefully peeled sliced and laid out on a plate. Probably creating far more food waste than if we'd peeled them but it did look nice.

• Like 1

• Host Hattie changed the title to Ordering appetiser as main course
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, babs135 said:

We will be dining in the mdr on the Queen Anne shortly and have been looking at some of the menus people have posted. Am I correct in thinking that I can order an appetiser as a main course?  One particular menu had me thinking that I would've been spoilt for choice of an appetiser but didn't particularly care for any of the mains.

There should be the three (always available) Mains… Steak, Chicken or Salmon.

But one can ask for a starter plated as a Main…. One’s wait staff will be happy to assist.

Conversely, one can have a Main plated as a Appetiser (smaller portion).  However, Scollops as a Main will be the size of an Appetiser, so ask one’s wait staff for “double”. Will not be declined.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Thanks 1

As I'm a relatively small eater, I'm no stranger to ordering a combo of soups, salads and apps, for dinner in particular. As my husband always says, "the apps are the most dramatic part of the meal, even surpassing many desserts". I think he's right!

I've done this with Cunard and several other upscale cruise lines.....no seems to mind a bit!!!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2024 at 11:41 AM, Mudhen said:

As I'm a relatively small eater, I'm no stranger to ordering a combo of soups, salads and apps, for dinner in particular. As my husband always says, "the apps are the most dramatic part of the meal, even surpassing many desserts". I think he's right!

I've done this with Cunard and several other upscale cruise lines.....no seems to mind a bit!!!

I don't eat much for breakfast nor lunch but do like a good sized dinner especially fish or seafood.

BTW I told my friend not to let me eat too much, she said the same thing!😉

My favorite meal is Frutti de mare, seafood pasta!

Edited by Judyrem
More info.
  • Like 1

We are not big eaters and often do exactly as you suggest.  We may order a starter and then an appetizer as a main.   We are often asked if we would like to super size it for a main.   We usually decline.   It is often just the perfect size to be able to leave enough room for the most important part of the meal --- Desert.