Just Wondering about Specialty Dining

I was looking at the specialty dining restaurants on the Volendam and Canaletto says  One pasta or entrée per guest is included with the restaurant cover charge. A charge of US $10 will be added per additional entrée ordered. So, if I want to order a second entrée I will be charged an extra $10 but Pinnacle Grill does not say that on their menu. So, can I order as many entrees as I like at The Pinnacle Grill and not be charged an extra fee? If this is true that just sounds silly, I would think if they were going to charge for extra dishes it would be the steak and not pasta.

1 hour ago, tarrenel said:

I was looking at the specialty dining restaurants on the Volendam and Canaletto says  One pasta or entrée per guest is included with the restaurant cover charge. A charge of US $10 will be added per additional entrée ordered. So, if I want to order a second entrée I will be charged an extra $10 but Pinnacle Grill does not say that on their menu. So, can I order as many entrees as I like at The Pinnacle Grill and not be charged an extra fee? If this is true that just sounds silly, I would think if they were going to charge for extra dishes it would be the steak and not pasta.

Pinnacle charge's a fee for a second entree.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Pinnacle charge's a fee for a second entree.

I guess I won’t be ordering 27 crab cakes. 

I think the app and entree orders in the Canelleto and Pinnacle are huge.  At home we usually share an app and an entree.  Thankfully the Canelleto let us do this.  Even sharing an app, entree, and dessert, we left food on the plates.  I would definitely ask for this in the Pinnacle next time.  Who needs two huge pork chops plus sides?  Yikes.  It was just too much food.  JMO. Cherie

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Crab cakes are an app, not an entrée. 

In Wikipedia the explanation for the difference in the use of the word "entree" on both sides of the Atlantic:

An entrée (/ˈɒ̃treɪ/, US also /ɒnˈtreɪ/; French: [ɑ̃tʁe]), in modern French table service and that of much of the English-speaking world, is a dish served before the main course of a meal. Outside North America and parts of English-speaking Canada, it is generally synonymous with the terms hors d'oeuvre, appetizer, or starter. It may be the first dish served, or it may follow a soup or other small dish or dishes.

In the United States and parts of English-speaking Canada, the term entrée instead refers to the main dish or the only dish of a meal.[a]

😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MAVIP said:

In Wikipedia the explanation for the difference in the use of the word "entree" on both sides of the Atlantic:

An entrée (/ˈɒ̃treɪ/, US also /ɒnˈtreɪ/; French: [ɑ̃tʁe]), in modern French table service and that of much of the English-speaking world, is a dish served before the main course of a meal. Outside North America and parts of English-speaking Canada, it is generally synonymous with the terms hors d'oeuvre, appetizer, or starter. It may be the first dish served, or it may follow a soup or other small dish or dishes.

In the United States and parts of English-speaking Canada, the term entrée instead refers to the main dish or the only dish of a meal.[a]

😉

I believe the point @CruiserBruce was seeking to make was that as an appetizer/starter, the crab cake is not subject to a surcharge for “extra” choice (beyond 1). But for a period of time post restart, HAL was charging for additional starters (beyond 1). No longer. Personally I would not order 1, let alone 27. Ten years ago they were lump crab - now some manner of ground up crab meat with majority of filler. As a former resident of Baltimore, I’m very picky about crab. Lastly, while I don’t doubt that they charge extra for an extra entree, it is curious they have not footnoted this on the recent Pinnacle menus, as they have for Canneletto.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

As a former resident of Baltimore, I’m very picky about crab.

As a Born and Bred Baltimorean, I am picky about crab, too.  I had never tried the Crab Cakes in Pinnacle because I knew they would not be a Baltimore Style Crab Cake.  I ordered them on my last cruise and feel they should be called Deviled Crab Cakes.  Deviled Crab Cakes came into and out of style in Baltimore years ago when restaurants were having difficulty getting crab.  (I can remember getting them at the old Brentwood Inn.)  I haven’t seen them on a menu anywhere for ages, but I have to say, the Pinnacle on the Westerdam did them very well.  They just aren’t a Baltimore Style Crab Cake.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

They just aren’t a Baltimore Style Crab Cake.

I was lucky to see several cooking demonstrations in the Oosterdam in February.  One was Pinnacle Grill crab cakes and crème brûlée.  The chef is a wonderful presenter.  Unfortunately, the crab cakes are not to my taste.  As a MDer, my crab cakes contain blue crab something to bind the crab meat together  and Old Bay.  These crab cakes had celery, onion, red pepper, thyme, chives and garlic.  How could you even taste the crab meat?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MAVIP said:

😉

I think you will find @CruiserBruce was referring the to the fact that on The Pinnacle Grill menu, the crab cakes are in the "Appitizers" section. It really doesn't matter about "definitions" what matters when discussing a menu is what that menu says. Whether the terms are "correct" or not is irrelevant. Personally I think crab cakes can be either an appy or a main, depending on how big they are and how many there are.

Edited by Blackduck59
typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lcand1923 said:

As a Born and Bred Baltimorean, I am picky about crab, too.  I had never tried the Crab Cakes in Pinnacle because I knew they would not be a Baltimore Style Crab Cake.  I ordered them on my last cruise and feel they should be called Deviled Crab Cakes.  Deviled Crab Cakes came into and out of style in Baltimore years ago when restaurants were having difficulty getting crab.  (I can remember getting them at the old Brentwood Inn.)  I haven’t seen them on a menu anywhere for ages, but I have to say, the Pinnacle on the Westerdam did them very well.  They just aren’t a Baltimore Style Crab Cake.

Thank you for this insight!  I was a Yankee transplant. Never heard of Deviled crab cakes, but I do now recognize the thing. I tend to avoid all crab cakes now lest I be disappointed. But years ago in the late 2000s, the Pinnacle was doing Baltimore style. My favorite crab cakes were at the Blue Moon in Rehoboth Beach, if memory serves. In fact anywhere on the Eastern Shore was great!  Those were some great times!  

• Like 1

Ah yes the great if it ain't a "Baltimore" crab cake it is going to be c**p debate. I think there have been different iterations of crab cakes developed in different places. If you go into a place with the firm belief that only the crab cakes from (insert favourite crab cake spot no matter where on earth it is) are any good, then all other versions of crab cakes will be unacceptable. A person doesn't have to be from Baltimore to know if they like crab cakes. I bet there are folks not from Baltimore that visit there and wonder what is so great about the crab cakes there, because they prefer the ones they get at home made with fresh crab native to their area. Don't set yourself up for disappointment if nothing can possibly compare to "Baltimore" crab cakes in your mind then give them a pass when not in Baltimore.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

Thank you for this insight!  I was a Yankee transplant. Never heard of Deviled crab cakes, but I do now recognize the thing. I tend to avoid all crab cakes now lest I be disappointed. But years ago in the late 2000s, the Pinnacle was doing Baltimore style. My favorite crab cakes were at the Blue Moon in Rehoboth Beach, if memory serves. In fact anywhere on the Eastern Shore was great!  Those were some great times!  

I grew up on the eastern shore and know a few places that do crab cakes well. (Suicide Bridge in Hurlock, MD is one and Phillips is not one.) I haven’t sailed yet on HAL, first cruise coming up, but the photos I’ve seen has had me questioning them. 

Deviled crab cakes are similar to boardwalk style crab cakes. They are denser so they stay together if you eat them by hand. Whereas the restaurant style crab cakes are lump crab meat, spices, and just something to bind it together. And now I’m getting hungry and I’m hundreds of miles away😞.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

I believe the point @CruiserBruce was seeking to make was that as an appetizer/starter, the crab cake is not subject to a surcharge for “extra” choice (beyond 1). But for a period of time post restart, HAL was charging for additional starters (beyond 1). No longer. Personally I would not order 1, let alone 27. Ten years ago they were lump crab - now some manner of ground up crab meat with majority of filler. As a former resident of Baltimore, I’m very picky about crab. Lastly, while I don’t doubt that they charge extra for an extra entree, it is curious they have not footnoted this on the recent Pinnacle menus, as they have for Canneletto.  

I am so sorry that it was not clear enough that I reacted to @CruiserBruces "Crab cakes are an app, not an entrée" . Misunderstandings in restaurants on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean about "entree" happen...... And.......... I like the discussion about the different kinds and qualities of crabcakes, of course.

7 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

I am so sorry that it was not clear enough that I reacted to @CruiserBruces "Crab cakes are an app, not an entrée" . Misunderstandings in restaurants on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean about "entree" happen...... And.......... I like the discussion about the different kinds and qualities of crabcakes, of course.

I appreciated the info. I learned something.

• Thanks 1

One more HAL crab cake story…I was speaking to the Pinnacle’s head chef.  I told him that I was a pescatarian and ask him what I should order.  He said the crabcake.  I said, “I’m from MD.”  He said, “Don’t order the crabcake”😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

One more HAL crab cake story…I was speaking to the Pinnacle’s head chef.  I told him that I was a pescatarian and ask him what I should order.  He said the crabcake.  I said, “I’m from MD.”  He said, “Don’t order the crabcake”😉

Judging by the comments here, I'm quite sure the chef has heard enough opinions from Baltimore people as to what are and are not "real" crab cakes. He was just saving himself from hearing it again!😁

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Judging by the comments here, I'm quite sure the chef has heard enough opinions from Baltimore people as to what are and are not "real" crab cakes. He was just saving himself from hearing it again!😁

Exactly. Just like every lobster thread here!

• Like 3

On 7/12/2024 at 12:26 PM, tarrenel said:

We were recently on Volendam and dined once in Pinnacle Grill.  Some in our group ordered 2 entrees instead of an appetizer and an entree.  We were not charged extra.

On 7/12/2024 at 10:53 PM, cccole said:

I think the app and entree orders in the Canelleto and Pinnacle are huge.  At home we usually share an app and an entree.  Thankfully the Canelleto let us do this.  Even sharing an app, entree, and dessert, we left food on the plates.  I would definitely ask for this in the Pinnacle next time.  Who needs two huge pork chops plus sides?  Yikes.  It was just too much food.  JMO. Cherie

You can always ask for a small portion.

Chicken Parmesan I ask for only one piece of chicken.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

You can always ask for a small portion.

Chicken Parmesan I ask for only one piece of chicken.

Yes, at breakfast in the Pinnacle I always ask for a half portion.  When ordering in the MDR they were not always able to provide a small or half portion.  Happy to hear that you also do this.  Cherie

2 minutes ago, cccole said:

Yes, at breakfast in the Pinnacle I always ask for a half portion.  When ordering in the MDR they were not always able to provide a small or half portion.  Happy to hear that you also do this.  Cherie

There are some exceptions French toast with caramel and cinnamon in Pinnacle for breakfast.

• Like 1