Water

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, camper49 said:

Is water included in the unlimited drink package?

Not in the standard package. Only the upgraded Plus package. 

Terms and Conditions 

• Does not include: Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or Flights, Starbucks, Ice Bars, room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines
Edited by BirdTravels

Tap water is included and you can get a glass of tap water at any bar, but canned or bottled water is not included. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, camper49 said:

Is water included in the unlimited drink package?

Water is free.  Just go to the buffet and drink to your heart's content.  You can fill your water bottles there as well.  If you fall for the hype of pre-bottled water, you have to pay for that.

EVIAN spelled backwards is NAIVE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

On MSC Cruises, bottled water is included with their drink packages!

and how much out of pocket does one of those drink packages cost?  Remember that NCL is effectively charging $21.80 pp/pd for the drink package.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

You’re on the NCL board, not MSC. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

This statement has zero relevance to this board or thread. Their drink package works in most, but not all bars. And has a low threshold before you are paying the difference. And does not work in specialty restaurants. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good to know. We are not blindly loyal to any cruise line and appreciate you sharing this so we can all be better informed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Good to know. We are not blindly loyal to any cruise line and appreciate you sharing this so we can all be better informed.

I just picked a random MSC cruise - their drinks & WiFi included fare was $150 pp more (on a 4 night cruise) than the base fare, and that only gets you drinks up to $10 menu price vs. the $15 drinks on NCL.

59 minutes ago, hallux said:

I just picked a random MSC cruise - their drinks & WiFi included fare was $150 pp more (on a 4 night cruise) than the base fare, and that only gets you drinks up to $10 menu price vs. the $15 drinks on NCL.

Thank you for telling me this.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Thank you for saying that! That is why I made that statement. I'm glad that someone recognized my intent. 😀

For anyone that I annoyed with my post, I apologize! I'm not trying to force anyone's hand. If you love NCL, I truly hope that you continue enjoying your cruises on NCL! I was just trying to help educate those that were interested.

Someone asked about cost... On my last MSC cruise, on the Meraviglia, I paid $20 pp/pd, but that also included their one device per person browsing Wi-Fi package. 

Personally, I drank more bottled water than anything else on that cruise. I don't see a point in buying a drink package, unless it includes bottled water. It is about convenience for me. I hate carrying a refillable water bottle around the ship, and I recycle every single bottle, so I don't feel bad at all!

P.S. I "luv 2 kroooz" too 😂🤣

P.P.S. The only cruise company that I'm loyal to is the cruise company with the best value for where we want to go at the time of booking! The perks that we get for loyalty aren't enticing enough for me to stay loyal to any one company!

Edited by TheBeardedCruiser
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

This statement has zero relevance to this board or thread. Their drink package works in most, but not all bars. And has a low threshold before you are paying the difference. And does not work in specialty restaurants. 

Their drinks are also quite a bit lower.  We've always gotten drinks with package at specialties.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2024 at 6:15 PM, TheBeardedCruiser said:

You can always bring back an already-opened bottle of water, even a large 1.5L one (contrary to the signage informing you of the opposite).

At the end of the day I would only compare cruise lines (and their packages) if they are similar operators, which to me doesn't seem to be the case with NCL being a class (or even higher) above MSC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, the number was in fact 10M and although it was a casual joke they are serving crazy amounts of water every single day. Definitely a 5-figure number every day.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We do not do what @PartyPlannerLady says. We drink bottled water (actually canned water) and have bottled water in all restaurants (except the buffet). 

Plus, the same water from the buffet is also available in your cabin bathroom for free.

Not to hijack this thread too much, but I had super swollen ankles on my last cruise, and I drank lots of tap water. Someone mentioned to me that the filtration system that NCL uses caused the swollen ankles. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? I don't have a TA that upgrades my drink package, but I am thinking about upgrading or getting a water package if needed.

1 hour ago, AKR2011 said:

Not to hijack this thread too much, but I had super swollen ankles on my last cruise, and I drank lots of tap water. Someone mentioned to me that the filtration system that NCL uses caused the swollen ankles. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? I don't have a TA that upgrades my drink package, but I am thinking about upgrading or getting a water package if needed.

IMO it is not the water, but is all the salt they dump in the food. I get more salt in a week on any cruise line than I do in a year at home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AKR2011 said:

We tend to upgrade to P+ and drink bottled water most of the day with some exceptions. We have not experienced having swollen ankles. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, astera said:

...if they are similar operators, which to me doesn't seem to be the case with NCL being a class (or even higher) above MSC.

I don't want to hijack this post, so I'll be brief. I've had really enjoyable cruises on both NCL and MSC. I've also had minor issues on both.

I met loads of people on my last MSC cruise that are loyal to MSC now, after NCL (or XYZ other cruise line) "broke the camels back." So I wouldn't call NCL a class, or higher, above MSC, I'd call them both uniquely awesome!

Bottom line: I hope that no matter what cruise line you pick, to truly enjoy your vacation!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AKR2011 said:

Someone mentioned to me that the filtration system that NCL uses caused the swollen ankles.

The watermaking equipment that NCL uses is no different than any other cruise ship.  The most sodium you will get from ship produced water, regardless of cruise line, is 20ppm, and typically much less.  Many municipal water sources, like NYC, have sodium contents higher than this.  Two things can cause water retention while drinking ship's water:  one, the food is saltier than you are used to, and two, the distillation/reverse osmosis removes magnesium and potassium from the water as well as sodium, and lack of these two minerals can cause water retention as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

I met loads of people on my last MSC cruise that are loyal to MSC now, after NCL (or XYZ other cruise line) "broke the camels back." So I wouldn't call NCL a class, or higher, above MSC, I'd call them both uniquely awesome!

I've been a fairly loyal ("Diamond") RC cruiser but my recent cruise on NCL was so good I will probably be switching (way better food and a decent drinks package included).

I've tried Costa once but it was downright awful, so I guess my theory about Costa and MSC being similar probably doesn't hold up since you really enjoyed your MSC cruise.

59 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The watermaking equipment that NCL uses is no different than any other cruise ship.

It's the same process but the water on my recent NCL cruise tasted a lot better than on some of the other ships I've been on, even though as you mentioned the type of equipment and process required is the same.

• Thanks 1