Bring liquor aboard on Legend out of Dover

Does anyone have recent experience, now that the Legend has relocated to Dover, on being able to bring bottles of liquor on board for the cabin? I would like to bring a couple of bottles of liquor (not wine) on board with me for the 12 night cruise.

I know BlerkOne sailed out of Barcelona on the first cruise after dry dock and said you could bring aboard at embarkation but not from ports (except beer and wine). Just trying to get knowledge of what is happening now England. 

We cruised out of there last year.  I do not remember anyone bringing on (and DEF have seen it in other CCL cruises throughout Europe.  Dover is a very different embark port.

As you know, but just for anyone else reading, the rules for European cruises are no different than American cruises. But - the folks working at the pier in Europe are not really interested in checking for your liquor. So in practice, you can get it on most of the time.

The reason it doesn't work at ports of call is you have to go through security on the ship, and the shipboard crew are trained to confiscate alcohol no matter where the ship is.

• Like 1

Yes, I know the rules are no different but in Europe it is customary for cruise lines to allow bringing liquor on board both at embarkation and in ports. I cruised out Dover in 2022 on the Pride to Norway and no one checked for liquor at any time. Including the “trained” crew at any of the ports and never a liquor drop off table.

What I am looking for, is someone who has sailed this year on the current situation out of Dover. If not, I’ll take the information from BlerkOne who sailed out of Barcelona. But, unlike Barcelona, there isn’t a liquor store at the port of Dover past security on the way to the ship.

• Like 2

I am on the Legend right now. There are signs when getting off the ship that you can bring wine and soda on. There have been tables set up for liquor collection when getting back on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trvlgirlmq said:

I am on the Legend right now. There are signs when getting off the ship that you can bring wine and soda on. There have been tables set up for liquor collection when getting back on.

The question was in regards to the port of embarkation at Dover, not ports of call.

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

The question was in regards to the port of embarkation at Dover, not ports of call.

The times are changing. We used to be able to carry on in all of the ports. No more. I have been on a number of Carnival cruises in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if ports of embarkation are next.

In Barcelona, there is a liquor store AFTER you cleared port security. That is a clue. I've never seen that when cruising out of Dover (or Southampton).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, trvlgirlmq said:

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

On 7/15/2024 at 12:39 PM, trvlgirlmq said:

Iceland! Total bucket list. We are already planning to book this itinerary again for 2026.

Love to hear more about it.  Trying to get better half interested and she is sticking tough on cold weather cruising bucket list items are done for a while.  Hope you will do review.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies. I’ll try and bring a bottle on at embarkation and if they take it not a big loss. I just enjoy a drink in the cabin, especially on sea days sitting on the balcony. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 1:53 PM, trvlgirlmq said:

We are loving it rain cold and all. So beautiful.

we did it on the Pride.  Awesome cruise.

17 hours ago, johnboy036 said:

Thanks all for the replies. I’ll try and bring a bottle on at embarkation and if they take it not a big loss. I just enjoy a drink in the cabin, especially on sea days sitting on the balcony. 

Please let us know how that goes at embarkation. TIA!!

• Like 1

I am currently on the Legend day 10 and last port day in Ivergordon. I had no problem bringing 2 bottles of bourbon on board along with about 12 mini bottles. The security was not carnival at the port of Dover and we all made it thru 🥃

I did not try at any of the ports with booze but did bring soft drinks on did not see any booze confiscated but was not really looking

• Thanks 2

We brought Irish Whiskey on at a stop in Dublin and Scotch at a stop in Scotland about 10 days later on our 21 night B2B on Pride last summer. Carnival didn't even have a table set up. Our liquor was in plain view as it went through the scanner. That was true of others as well. I'm certainly not an expert but my understanding was that local ordinances prohibited Carnival from enforcing their standing policy. I believe our CD Frankie even spoke about it. Anyway, it was commonplace in every single port.

Can't speak to Dover itself. I think we carried on our two traditional bottles of wine but I'm not sure. 

I was on the Iceland cruise from Dover departing July 7th. I brought some wheat beer on board after experiencing complete shortages of it on recent Carnival cruises in Europe. Happy to report that the Legend was well stocked with several varieties this time around and they did not run out.

They did examine some bottles I brought on on day 3 at Liverpool, and questioned me whether it was liquor (They were quite rare Spanish wheat beers with no English on the label). They were happy to let me bring it on board but I had the impression it would have been confiscated if it had been liquor.

Lots of passengers bought Scotch at our last port of call in Scotland and I didn't see anyone's purchases being taken off them when boarding.

2 hours ago, johnboy036 said:

I board tomorrow in Dover and I’ll report on what my experience is with my liquor that I’ll purchase tonight. 

also curious if you see liquor collections tables set up at any of the ports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

also curious if you see liquor collections tables set up at any of the ports.

So just to be clear Blerk. A table set up means nothing in particular.  Certainly anyone could voluntarily store their port purchased liquor. The change was that Security could not compel such behavior. So they simply always remained silent. There was no smuggling involved.