A-Rosa river cruise with a kid?

COcruise

Looking for some info on the A-Rosa river cruises with a kid. I know they tend to be in German, we’re American but can deal. It sounds like they accept kids from the website. Ours is too small for the kid club. A few influencers lately have said it was great but hoping to hear from someone that didn’t get it for free 🙂  seems like a great way to see a handful of cities without traveling by train/plane. We’ve been on tons of regular cruises but no river cruises yet. 

I am also confused how you ended up focused on A-Rosa if you've never been on a river cruise before. There are many cruise lines that focus on the American or at least the English speaking market. 

You did not say how old your kid is, but I see that in Family Cruising, you posted a similar topic as "toddler" and said "will be under 2".

River cruises are not really set up for very young kids. Many cruise lines don't allow kids at all (18+). We are most familiar with AmaWaterways. We actually tried them for a 3 generation cruise with 2 minors (ages 10 & 13), and a 19 year old after finding out that Adventures by Disney uses them for their chartered river cruises. Ama's FAQ says: "There is a minimum age limit of 4 years old, unless otherwise agreed upon by AmaWaterways."

On the cruise we were on, there were a number of family groups, 2 larger ones, and a number of kids, some of which were younger than our niece. Everyone seemed to be having a great time regardless of age. This was not typical, and I wonder if it was the fact that it was the middle of summer and the itinerary. It was Europe's Rivers and Castles from Nuremberg to Luxembourg, which I would highly recommend as a first time river cruise.

That said, I would imagine that a toddler could be an annoyance to the typical river cruiser. I would probably recommend holding off on river cruises until they are at least 8, and even then it's really based on the kid, and how into history and culture they are. Do they like cathedrals, castles, forts and ruins? or narrated city walks?

We completely agree with your reasoning, about river cruises being a great way to see a number of cities. We look river and ocean cruises as "unpack once, and your hotel travels with you". But again, I'd recommend holding off a few years. On an ocean cruise, you are pretty anonymous, as 2-4 people out of 2500-6000, but on a river cruise, you are 2-4 of 140-180 people, and there is no anonymity. It's not just about you and your family, but all the passengers on your cruise.

Even Adventures by Disney for River Cruises says:

Minimum Age: 5
Suggested Age: 8+

• Like 1

The new A-Rosa Sena is perfect for families. You will find photos here. They do have one large room used as kids club but usually this starts at 3 years. They have 12 family cabins. In the buffet restaurant there´s a special kids station. Of course they do have high chairs. Plus on the sun deck there´s a kids pool area.

Anyway with a 2 year old you might not need all those features.

On the other A-Rosa river cruise ships you won´t find these extra features but of course they are equipped with high chairs and will accomodate families.

But be aware that usually the average age on a river cruise ship is more the 60+ range. During school vacations you will find more families onboard. But that´s it.

steamboats

• Like 2

I'm taking my 4 yo Grandson with his parents on a Christmas cruise with Viva in 2025. They do not have a minimum age.  You might look at them.  They are a German company but working hard to draw the US Market.

• Thanks 1

VIVA is definitely one of the top German river cruise companies and they do try to get into the international market.

Anyway, I don´t think any of the German based river cruise companies do have a minimum age. This doesn´t mean that the company is geared to families and children. There are hardly any cabins for triple or quad occupancy on river cruise ships. So cruising with a kid you may have to book more than just one cabin. I´m pretty sure that all of the German river cruise companies do carry a fold away crib and a highchair. But that´s it. The A-Rosa Sena actually is the only river cruise ship gearing to families.

steamboats

Unlike ocean cruise ships, there's also not a lot of open space for a toddler to run around.  Often one lounge/bar, one quiet lounge/reading room, and an upper deck which will not have solid railings (so they can fold down to go under bridges if needed.)  With a toddler, that would terrify me.

Dinners can be long, and everyone is seated at the same time, so no popping in early or late.

Many excursions will either be bus rides (will you need a car seat?) or walking thru towns with some serious cobblestones (rough on a stroller.)

I do like the "bring your hotel room with you as you glide thru Europe" appeal of river cruising, but it would not be a vacation I think I would have found completely enjoyable when my kids were that young.  By age 5, it would have been better.

The Arosa Sena has ample space as it is a wide and big river cruise ship. Even more thought has gone into designing that space I should think - as steamboats has hinted at - as the Sena is equipped well for families. As the ship only sails Cologne downstream I have not seen it yet so cannot say anything more about it. Four years and up - most likely a great experience. Younger? I would be skeptical and not go with the constraints of the river experience and the ship amenities. But there are these children that can be happy and comfortable anywhere...

I recommend having a look at videos of the Arosa Sena specifically. There is one in English I think. Please bear in mind that even the Sena is a ship for adults with spa, massage, elegant restaurant and the like. It is not family entertainment ocean-cruise style.

Hopefully someone can help you with more direct experience info.

notamermaid

As mentioned, Arosa Sena does have the family cabins (bunk beds for kids across from parents bed), there could be one other thing to think of. I looked in the bathroom, looks like a smaller shower. Would you be able to fit one parent and your child in it to clean them?

On 7/16/2024 at 1:56 PM, Daisi said:

As mentioned, Arosa Sena does have the family cabins (bunk beds for kids across from parents bed), there could be one other thing to think of. I looked in the bathroom, looks like a smaller shower. Would you be able to fit one parent and your child in it to clean them?

Family cabins do have a separate toilet with sink and a bathroom with double sink and walk-in shower. Plenty of space!

steamboats

I was referring to the size of the shower, to bathe the child in. It looks fine for one person, but to have a child and bathe them could be tricky. If their child is old enough, no problem. But OP said their child wasn’t old enough for the kids program in their post.

IMG_0928.png

Ok, that looks better. It sounds like the OP is looking at their first river cruise, and while I find the showers generous enough on Avalon, it would be tight to bathe a child in them. Possible, but tight, especially if said child has had a long day and is cranky tired.😀

On 7/13/2024 at 11:29 PM, steamboats said:

The new A-Rosa Sena is perfect for families. You will find photos here. They do have one large room used as kids club but usually this starts at 3 years. They have 12 family cabins. In the buffet restaurant there´s a special kids station. Of course they do have high chairs. Plus on the sun deck there´s a kids pool area.

Anyway with a 2 year old you might not need all those features.

On the other A-Rosa river cruise ships you won´t find these extra features but of course they are equipped with high chairs and will accomodate families.

But be aware that usually the average age on a river cruise ship is more the 60+ range. During school vacations you will find more families onboard. But that´s it.

steamboats

Thank you! This is very helpful. She is too young for the kids club I believe, but they do allow kids on all the river cruises. We know the age will be much older and we don’t need any children’s activities. We unfortunately have a set time in Europe and some of the A-Rosa cruises align perfectly with our void of time to fill! 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 6:41 PM, Roz said:

You're American, correct? Why not try a line geared to English speakers?

Yes. They do now allow young children though! 

On 7/13/2024 at 7:20 PM, RobInMN said:

I am also confused how you ended up focused on A-Rosa if you've never been on a river cruise before. There are many cruise lines that focus on the American or at least the English speaking market. 

You did not say how old your kid is, but I see that in Family Cruising, you posted a similar topic as "toddler" and said "will be under 2".

River cruises are not really set up for very young kids. Many cruise lines don't allow kids at all (18+). We are most familiar with AmaWaterways. We actually tried them for a 3 generation cruise with 2 minors (ages 10 & 13), and a 19 year old after finding out that Adventures by Disney uses them for their chartered river cruises. Ama's FAQ says: "There is a minimum age limit of 4 years old, unless otherwise agreed upon by AmaWaterways."

On the cruise we were on, there were a number of family groups, 2 larger ones, and a number of kids, some of which were younger than our niece. Everyone seemed to be having a great time regardless of age. This was not typical, and I wonder if it was the fact that it was the middle of summer and the itinerary. It was Europe's Rivers and Castles from Nuremberg to Luxembourg, which I would highly recommend as a first time river cruise.

That said, I would imagine that a toddler could be an annoyance to the typical river cruiser. I would probably recommend holding off on river cruises until they are at least 8, and even then it's really based on the kid, and how into history and culture they are. Do they like cathedrals, castles, forts and ruins? or narrated city walks?

We completely agree with your reasoning, about river cruises being a great way to see a number of cities. We look river and ocean cruises as "unpack once, and your hotel travels with you". But again, I'd recommend holding off a few years. On an ocean cruise, you are pretty anonymous, as 2-4 people out of 2500-6000, but on a river cruise, you are 2-4 of 140-180 people, and there is no anonymity. It's not just about you and your family, but all the passengers on your cruise.

A-Rosa is the only line that has a minimum age that allows kids under 2. We haven’t found any English speaking lines but also not too concerned about that. We are in their country and so it’s up to us to deal with the language barrier. While I agree with you that river cruises are geared for much older, the river cruise is kind of similar to staying in suites on larger cruise ships where you share a restaurant and lounge with others and typically there’s no one with kids or our age. We’ve done that a few times with her.

If we decide to go for it I’ll definitely post more since there seems to be not much info and A-Rosa makes it very known families with young kids are welcome. 

On 7/18/2024 at 4:11 PM, ljandgb said:

Minimum age for ABD is 5.

What is ABD? A quick google did not yield anything. 

20 minutes ago, COcruise said:

What is ABD? A quick google did not yield anything. 

On 7/13/2024 at 8:20 PM, RobInMN said:

Adventures by Disney

• Thanks 1

@COcruise as for the A-Rosa Sena this ship is limited to one itinerary due to the size of the ship. So you can only go from Cologne to Amsterdam (and back again). You might also look into VIVA Cruises. They do cater to international guests. I couldn´t find anything about a minimum age on their website or the fine print in their brochure but you might ask. But there itineraries are not that limited and they do have brand new ships too.

steamboats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, steamboats said:

@COcruise as for the A-Rosa Sena this ship is limited to one itinerary due to the size of the ship. So you can only go from Cologne to Amsterdam (and back again). You might also look into VIVA Cruises. They do cater to international guests. I couldn´t find anything about a minimum age on their website or the fine print in their brochure but you might ask. But there itineraries are not that limited and they do have brand new ships too.

steamboats

They do not have a minimum age.  I called their US office and confirmed this as I am booked on them for Nov 2025 with my 3 (will be 4) year old grandson and his parents.

• Like 1