Medications

We are going on our first European Cruise next week.

I was just wondering, do our medications need to be in the original prescription bottle or can we just bring the meds in a daily plastic dispenser?

Thank you

4 minutes ago, RIvacationgirl said:

I was just wondering, do our medications need to be in the original prescription bottle or can we just bring the meds in a daily plastic dispenser?

Thank you

Without the original prescription bottle, how will they know what drugs you’re carrying?
I suppose you could wait for an hour while they try to identify them with a Physicians Desk Reference book, but do you think they’re anxious to do that for thousands of people per day??

29 minutes ago, Nurse Carol said:

Do you need the original prescription bottle for a cruise out of a U.S. port?

Sailings out of US Ports to Bermuda, Canada, Carribean - I only have a couple of prescription meds - blood pressure, etc.  I put my supplements, prescriptions & vitamins in daily pill cases, but have pictures of bottles, including prescription bottles.  I've never been asked for anything.

Be sure you are NOT taking CBD or anything similar of any kind.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Without the original prescription bottle, how will they know what drugs you’re carrying?
I suppose you could wait for an hour while they try to identify them with a Physicians Desk Reference book, but do you think they’re anxious to do that for thousands of people per day??

I don't understand why having an original prescription bottle would have any meaning.  I could take one of my empty bottles and put anything I wanted inside.

• Like 4

In  my experience with my previous cruises, which were out of the USA, I have had my BP meds and such in a daily plastic container, not in the prescription bottles, and have never had an issue. I do not have any psych, narcotics or controlled substances. My husband take multiple vitamins due to a previous surgery as well. We have never flown or cruised out of Europe, so I have this above question. 

Thank you

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We only carry meds in a daily pill organizer (and we have a lot of meds). Never original bottles. 

This had been discussed many times. A pill bottle can be filled with anything and does not demonstrate anything. 

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, RIvacationgirl said:

Thank you

Different countries have different rules for different drugs. Look them up, especially for any country that you’re flying into. (E.g., some countries restrict the number of pills you can bring in, some may require a letter from your doctor, some have stricter rules for controlled substances, etc.) 

Imho, besides checking the rules, the safest practice is to bring prescription drugs in their prescription containers, and not in a “daily plastic dispenser.”  And just because someone on social media tells you they’ve done the latter and had no problem, doesn’t mean someone else won’t. 

Enjoy your trip! 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

A pill bottle can be filled with anything and does not demonstrate anything

All of my prescription containers describe the pills — the color, the shape, the markings. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

We only carry meds in a daily pill organizer (and we have a lot of meds). Never original bottles. 

This had been discussed many times. A pill bottle can be filled with anything and does not demonstrate anything. 

You are correct. Nothing magical about a pill bottle, other than the label that some tech put on the bottle when they filled it. 

I asked my pharmacy to print out an extra set of labels that I can put on my own containers - which happen to be plastic bags designed for pills. Take up a lot less room and provide the exact same information as is on the pill bottles - including name and descriptions. I also carry a copy of the original prescription, also provided by the pharmacist.

For OTC supplements, etc I either peel off the label or find a picture on the web and print it out, use that to label the bag.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Actually, it means a lot.  First, the label on the original pill bottle lists the name of the person for whom the medication is prescribed.  Next, it gives emergency medical personnel or an investigator the name of the doctor who prescribed the medication and the name of the pharmacy that filled the prescription.  Many pill bottle labels also describe the shape, color, and any distinctive markings on the pills.  Even if the physical description of the pill is not on the label, there are pharmaceutical catalogs which describe the pills.  Each of these techniques can be used in attempts to verify that the pills are yours and that you haven't removed the prescribed pills and replaced them with something else.

If you become ill or injured and need to spend time in a hospital, the staff will want to know any medications you are taking.  In many cases they will allow you to use the pills you brought with you only if they are still in their original bottle.  If you have transferred them to a daily pill organizer, they most likely will insist on contacting your doctor to confirm your prescription and provide pills from the hospital pharmacy. 

Regardless of this, I also usually place my pills in a pill organizer, hoping that I never have to go to a hospital while on vacation, but realizing that if I do, I'll have to go through the rigamarole to have the hospital provide my medications instead of taking the pills I brought with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just went through this in June. It was the first time for us in Europe and I worried mainly due to his ADHD meds. I did research and wound up doing the following as a compromise for myself:

I brought along the original containers for the prescription stuff, plus letters for the Schedule 2 (ADHD) medication in case it was needed. However, I did little daily packs to cover our pre-cruise hotel and the cruise up until the first sea day. That way, I could spend an hour on the sea day to do the daily pill packs for the rest of the cruise.

So we landed at Heathrow. Our passports are biometric and we could use the e-Gates. We were through customs in like 6 minutes. Nobody looked at our stuff or asked about medicines. After we cleared everything and were settled in, I did the little daily packs for us and then threw out the containers, but not the letters.

I'm still glad I brought the containers and letters, though, just in case.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Actually, it means a lot.  First, the label on the original pill bottle lists the name of the person for whom the medication is prescribed.  Next, it gives emergency medical personnel or an investigator the name of the doctor who prescribed the medication and the name of the pharmacy that filled the prescription.  Many pill bottle labels also describe the shape, color, and any distinctive markings on the pills.

Yes, it's about the label - not the container. My pharmacy had no issues with giving me labels that I could put on more reasonably-sized containers for travel.

I've traveled to a few countries where there are fairly strict regulations with respect to medications. So I go as prepared as I can - but they've never actually checked.

• Thanks 1

I agree with BirdTravels Only carry meds in a daily organizer. Couple years ago after disembarking a TA in Barcelona, we both came down with COVID and could not fly back to the US for 10 days. Had to stay in a hotel for those 10 days and ran out of meds. Went to a local Spanish doctor who prescribed all of our meds (quite a few) which we then filled at a local pharmacy.  No questions asked after showing him a days worth of meds we each had left before running out. Med bottles with labels unnecessary. And, thank heavens for trip insurance!

• Like 1

Have been traveling internationally for over 40 years and always bring my meds in daily pill box containers and not original bottles.  Always carry a copy of the prescriptions with me also just in case.  Have never had any issues traveling in/out of multiple European countries, Asia, and South America.  Non are narcotics or controlled medications.  Those I would be cautious with and verify they are allowed in the destination country and also in original container.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, drew69 said:

Have been traveling internationally for over 40 years and always bring my meds in daily pill box containers and not original bottles.  Always carry a copy of the prescriptions with me also just in case.  Have never had any issues traveling in/out of multiple European countries, Asia, and South America.  Non are narcotics or controlled medications.  Those I would be cautious with and verify they are allowed in the destination country and also in original container.

This has been our experience as well.  Flying into places known for scrutiny (New Zealand/Australia) or draconian law enforcement (China, Singapore) I have brought them in the original bottles and not brought any obscure herbal supplements just to be on the safe side.  Never any problem at all anywhere in Europe.

Whatever you decide to do, it's a good idea to keep a picture of each of your prescriptions on your phone in general, as it's very hard to remember it all in any emergency.  Having your medication in the original bottles will not likely cause any reputable health facility in any country to allow you to take your own meds as this would be quite a liability.

Out of all my years of traveling all over the world, I'm 61 and have been to a lot of other countries I've never been asked about any meds I take. I carry them all in a 7 or 14 day pill holder

If you are traveling in general (not just on cruises) it is a good idea to keep a list of your medications and their doses if you think you might have trouble remembering in a stressful moment. Hopefully you will never need it, but in the event of a medical emergency, it can be helpful to for the medical staff taking care of you to know which medications you take and what doses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Out of all my years of traveling all over the world, I'm 61 and have been to a lot of other countries I've never been asked about any meds I take. I carry them all in a 7 or 14 day pill holder

I've never been asked BUT when you are traveling to parts of the world where certain medications are prohibited - including ones that are commonly prescribed or sold OTC - knowing what is legal and having quick and easy identification of what you have just might save you a lot of grief if someone does happen to check. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I've never been asked BUT when you are traveling to parts of the world where certain medications are prohibited - including ones that are commonly prescribed or sold OTC - knowing what is legal and having quick and easy identification of what you have just might save you a lot of grief if someone does happen to check. 

I have any med info on my phone and a printout. I'm not worried at all about being stopped and searched

16 hours ago, gizfish said:

Having your medication in the original bottles will not likely cause any reputable health facility in any country to allow you to take your own meds as this would be quite a liability.

I was hospitalized recently in a reputable health facility in Arlington, Texas.  I brought along my pills in a daily pill dispenser and was told by the medical staff that if I had brought my pills in bottles with pharmacy labels on them I would be allowed to take the pills I brought.  Since my pills were not in pharmacy bottles, however, they contacted my PCP to verify the prescriptions, then filled them from the hospital pharmacy.

16 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

I was hospitalized recently in a reputable health facility in Arlington, Texas.  I brought along my pills in a daily pill dispenser and was told by the medical staff that if I had brought my pills in bottles with pharmacy labels on them I would be allowed to take the pills I brought.  Since my pills were not in pharmacy bottles, however, they contacted my PCP to verify the prescriptions, then filled them from the hospital pharmacy.

This happens often in hospital settings. Most folks here are talking about crossing a national border...