How would you rank NCL's ships?

Posted (edited)

I have been on the Norwegian Escape recently and absolutely loved it. As a Royal Caribbean regular this has opened my eyes to other options and frankly I would like to sail with NCL again on my next cruise as the food was way, way better than on RC, and the included Free at Sea package was a game-changer.

If you like bigger ships in general with lots of things to do, multiple entertainment choices, plenty of bars, etc., which NCL ships would you recommend and how would you rank them alongside the Escape?

Edited by astera
  • Like 1

I can only rank the ships I've been on.

Favorite: Escape. 

2nd: Jade.

3rd: Prima

4th: Sun

5th: Pride of America

I've sailed with NCL since 2003, when the Sun was new. The Jade was in 2018. Escape was 2023 and the PoA and Prima in 2024. 

I have severe allergies (food, dust, fragrances, feathers/wool), and NCL generally does better for me in making sure my cabin is set up properly and the restaurants prepare food I can eat. On Royal Caribbean, they just told me what I could and could not order. On NCL, they have me pre-order a day in advance and make me what I would like to have, custom made without my allergens. (Does not apply to anything "from outside", of course.)

My rankings are based on a combination of factors:

How well they handled my special needs.

The food's taste and quality.

The crew.

The ship's facilities that I made use of.

As an older couple we prefer the Jewel class ships as well as the Dawn. Our first cruise was on the Sky in 2002. Since then we have been on the POA, Gem, Jewel, Pearl, Dawn and have an upcomming cruise on the Star. We have always enjoyed the Freestyle cruising with NCL. Granted we have not tried the larger ships, but we cruise for the destination and not necessarily the ship. 

We have been to AK 4 times, the Panama Canal, Hawaii, Canada and New England and the upcomming trip to South America and Antartica.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

I can only rank the ships I've been on.

Favorite: Escape. 

2nd: Jade.

3rd: Prima

4th: Sun

5th: Pride of America

I have severe allergies (food, dust, fragrances, feathers/wool), and NCL generally does better for me in making sure my cabin is set up properly and the restaurants prepare food I can eat.

Thank you. This does not bode well because I was hoping to see a few names above the Escape that I have been on earlier this month. 🙂

My wife is allergic to many of those things though only to the airborne variety, not to do with consumed food itself.

11 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

As an older couple we prefer the Jewel class ships as well as the Dawn. Our first cruise was on the Sky in 2002. Since then we have been on the POA, Gem, Jewel, Pearl, Dawn and have an upcomming cruise on the Star.

Granted we have not tried the larger ships, but we cruise for the destination and not necessarily the ship.

We're mainly looking at the bigger ships though destinations are also important for us (we rarely take a cruise that comes back to the same port).

We currently reside within a 5-minute walk from our apartment to the cruise pier in Las Palmas where I have seen the Norwegian Viva in recent months, and recently in Livorno (on the Escape) we were docked close to the Viva which once again got me thinking about this modern-looking ship...

Has anyone been on both the Escape and the Viva?

It’s really going to still be an itinerary driven and class of ship preference at the end of the day.

That said if someone likes small ships, NCL Spirit may be the best in that sizing category. 

Amongst sisters I’d say Dawn > Star and Viva > Prima (I know they are so similar but the itineraries are better suited. 

Bliss and Encore are two very well regarded ships.

1 hour ago, astera said:

Thank you. This does not bode well because I was hoping to see a few names above the Escape that I have been on earlier this month. 🙂

My wife is allergic to many of those things though only to the airborne variety, not to do with consumed food itself.

We're mainly looking at the bigger ships though destinations are also important for us (we rarely take a cruise that comes back to the same port).

We currently reside within a 5-minute walk from our apartment to the cruise pier in Las Palmas where I have seen the Norwegian Viva in recent months, and recently in Livorno (on the Escape) we were docked close to the Viva which once again got me thinking about this modern-looking ship...

Has anyone been on both the Escape and the Viva?

I have been on both and would pick the Viva. Loved the food choices, observation lounge and waterfront area. But not for a cruise that is in colder weather. I pick a ship sometimes for itinerary and sometimes to try out the newer models.

Favorite ship is still the Bliss (though I wish it had an Onda on it).

• Like 1

I know others will disagree with me, but you did ask for opinions! I like the Epic--and it would seem to offer many of the features important to you.

Although not among NCL's newest, it is a bigger ship with a multitude of bars, entertainment choices, and other things to do. The bars don't matter at all to us, and the entertainment only a little: What we love is the spa with its huge thalassotherapy pool, heated loungers, and lovely aft-facing outdoor area.

(The reason I anticipate disagreement is the Epic's admittedly odd bathroom set-up and curved cabin walls. I understand the objections, but we never have any issue.)

The Escape was a favorite of mine as well, but my second place actually goes to The Sun. She may be small, but the crew was my favorite. Brian Walters has been running that ship for many years, and I remember everyone being so friendly. There are so many positive reviews on here about The Sun too.

• Like 1

subjective question, rating ncl ships depends on what specifics you are looking for.

we've been on almost  the entire fleet since 2010 (except the newer ones, joy, escape, encore, viva, breakaway ) i cruise for the joy of cruising, the itinerary and the price are the most important criteria for me. dont care about the shows, never really had any complaints about any of the food or service, other than the following instances. The aft balcony suites on the epic are a disaster. bed takes up the entire cabin, and the shower/tub/toilet  setup is ridiculous. 

we were on the star this past april, and imho, the food was the worst we've ever had on any ncl ship since 2010, regardless of the restaurant  (and i aint a picky eater)!

other than that, we've been happy on almost  the rest of them. if i had to pick favorites, we loved the getaway because of the waterfront, and the bliss (especially observation deck) was just beautiful

Sorry, but Escape is my fave!

Loved Bliss as well and sailing Joy next month and can't wait. Have Aqua and Encore booked and excited about those as well. 

Like Breakaway and Getaway just fine too. 

Been on Dawn and Gem multiple times as well but they are far from our faves. Would do them on port intensive itineraries but first choice will always be Escape. Sorry the other B+ ships did away with HatM, though the Observation Lounge is a nice consolation prize. 

My list based on ships we have been on:

1. Prima 

2. Spirit 

3. and 4. (tie) Bliss and Encore

5. Escape - the District Brewhouse for the piano player is why it is higher than Breakaway and Getaway. 

6 and 7 (tie) Gem and Pearl (based on better pool in thermal spa than Jewel and Jade).

8 and 9. (tie) Jewel and Jade

10. Dawn ( this should probably be ranked lower but we had a great suite with views)

11. Sun 

12. Sky 

13. and 14. (tie) Breakaway and Getaway. (Based on limited lounge musical entertainment we like being restricted to Shakers/The Mojito bar and the atrium with limited to no use of Bliss lounge. That means it can be challenging to find a seat. We don’t care for dueling pianos and don’t stand in line to get a seat in Syd Norman’s. It seems so crowded on these two ships.)

What criteria is most important for us: 

1. Peaceful and quiet spa or hot tub area with no kids. 
2.  Lounges with musical entertainment (pianist, guitarist, duo, or band) options preferably not a crowded atrium. 
3. Outside spaces to read or relax. 

4. Observation lounges with musical entertainment and space to dance. Bliss lounges tend to have good dance floors, too. 
5. Deck for walking. 

2 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I have been on both and would pick the Viva. Loved the food choices, observation lounge and waterfront area. But not for a cruise that is in colder weather. I pick a ship sometimes for itinerary and sometimes to try out the newer models.

Favorite ship is still the Bliss (though I wish it had an Onda on it).

I would totally agree with this post.  I think the OP would like the Bliss or the Viva.  Personally, I also have a soft spot for the little Spirit.

I really liked the Escape, I would say the Escape and Bliss are a tie for favorite, depends on the itinerary.  The Joy is right there as well, all 3 are the same class (Breakaway+) so they're mostly similar but I really think NCL knocked it out of the park with that class of ship.  But, as you can see in my signature, those are the only 3 I've been on!

My order for the ships I have been on:

Encore

Joy

Escape

Jewel

Getaway

Epic

My husband's order:

Escape

Encore

Joy

Jewel

Getaway

Epic

Both of us loved the Jewel and would rank it higher if it had a Vibe.

Whew boy....thought about this quite a bit....

1.  Escape. (has a little of everything that makes NCL a great choice for a cruise)

2.  Bliss (great for Alaska)

3.  Prima (love the concept and the decor)

4.  "-AWAY" twins. (they always seem to be sailing itineraries I like)

5.  Joy. (LOVED the fellow passengers on my only sailing on the Joy)

6.  Epic. (series of firsts...my first experience in the Haven...first experience with "Free Style" cruising, first experience with NCL's famed entertainment)

7.  Gem. (Jewel class ship which offer easy access to everything)

8.  Encore. (I enjoyed the cruise, but nothing really stood out as great or not so great about it...it was just a "good cruise")

Posted (edited)

1) Pearl

2) Sun

3) Escape

4) Star

5) Epic

We are going on the Jade in 2 weeks, so will be able to include her soon.

This is a subjective list because itineraries, crew, fellow passengers all matter and change. 

For what its worth, I loved the Symphony of the Seas....I liked that ship much better than the Escape, but liked the Escape better than the Odyssey.

Edited by Stealthdog

Stealthdog and peachypoo - what do you like best about the pearl. Why do you rank it first? We travel on the pearl in September and have not been on Norwegian and 10 years.  

19 hours ago, Pens fan said:

As far down as you can go - POA

I remember in the middle of my Pride of America cruise realizing with amusement "This is the worst cruise I've been on!" (Not counting things like the Portland-Yarmouth or Staten Island ferry).  

And even as "the worst", it was still an enjoyable time.

The PoA is best treated like a really nice ferry that you take island to island, instead of flying. If you approach it with that in mind, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 2