Restaurants look booked but aren't

Posted (edited)

Multiple times on our Joy vacation last month we saw no availability listed for desired restaurants (understandably as we hadn't booked ahead). We asked our concierge for help once and he got us right into Food Republic.  When we got there it was empty. Another time my sister went back to Food Republic when it was listed as full and it wasn't and they were seated immediately.  

Another night we went to Q, were told they could "fit us in" and there were only about 4 tables occupied in the whole restaurant at 6:30.  

I don't know if it's just the Joy, but it's probably always worth walking to the desired restaurant to see if you can get in, even if the only "openings" offered are at 9:30 pm.  

Edited by DaisyGoldberg
  • Like 1

Always check this happens allot we had 2 dinners we wanted to change on the Joy there was 6 of us. I checked everything was booked. I just walked up once in Q and once in LaCuchina and was seated right then and there. I do think some of the smaller specials have a difficult time squeezing folks in.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Those damn restaurant chair hogs.....😠

We find that if we bring our own cutlery and put it on the seats, we can show up for dinner at any time! 😉😎

• Haha 3

I hear from a "reputable source" that the cruise lines want the specialty dining venues to be have guests, but not be so full to avoid angering guests who can't get in (you are paying a premium for the restaurant after all). Therefore, while the venue may appear to be sold out of advance reservations, some space may be held back for operational reasons, say to accommodate a slightly larger party size compared to the original reservation size or "fitting in" folks last minute, especially if you're sailing in the Haven with a concierge who doesn't want to disappoint you.  As others have suggested, if the reservations are fully booked it is best to just show up at the restaurant to check if there is space.

On 7/16/2024 at 6:51 PM, nordicacres said:

We found this to be the case at Le Bistro on the Jewel, as well. Easily half of the tables were open both nights we were there. We thought it might be due to staffing?

Yes. In addition to people not showing up, it has to do with staffing. The same thing happens on land in restaurants.

The weird thing was that the restaurants were virtually EMPTY.  If it's 6:30 and there's literally one table of people in the restaurant, something's off. I've been on ships where a restaurant was listed as full but only was half full and chalked it up to staffing, but we've never been the ONLY people there at the peak hour before.

Both Q and Food Republic are a bit out of the normal traffic pattern, so maybe they don't get the last minute walk ins when people see them listed as fully booked.  So definitely worth walking over to check in person. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 12:27 PM, DaisyGoldberg said:

The weird thing was that the restaurants were virtually EMPTY.  If it's 6:30 and there's literally one table of people in the restaurant, something's off. I've been on ships where a restaurant was listed as full but only was half full and chalked it up to staffing, but we've never been the ONLY people there at the peak hour before.

We've been on a couple of cruises where restaurants didn't start getting full until 7:30 or 8 PM. That is well after our dinner time of 5 PM, so we had no issue getting in. I wonder if you've been on ships where folks were eating later than *I* would consider normal times? 

On 7/18/2024 at 11:27 AM, DaisyGoldberg said:

Both Q and Food Republic are a bit out of the normal traffic pattern, so maybe they don't get the last minute walk ins when people see them listed as fully booked.  So definitely worth walking over to check in person. 

You never know...they could have 10 parties reserved in 15 or 30 minutes from when you arrive.  We have found that most people like to eat early, and we have no problem being seated/reserving for 8:00 or later.  

21 minutes ago, medicalma'am said:

You never know...they could have 10 parties reserved in 15 or 30 minutes from when you arrive.  We have found that most people like to eat early, and we have no problem being seated/reserving for 8:00 or later.  

Wish this was posted in a readable font.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/18/2024 at 12:27 PM, DaisyGoldberg said:

So at 6:30, you are still holding tables for reservations from 5:30-7:30. If someone makes a 7:00 reservation, that blocks a table from opening until 7:00. Yes?

If they block a table for 2 hours for dining (average dining time) and someone eats quickly, then the table can also open up. There are a lot of times that we book a 5:30 reservation because we want to be in and out in an hour or less. There are only a few tables booked for exactly 5:30, the galley is not backed up, bar service is fast, wait service is fast. And we're on our way. 

2 hours ago, medicalma'am said:

2 hours ago, zqvol said:

"You never know...they could have 10 parties reserved in 15 or 30 minutes from when you arrive.  We have found that most people like to eat early, and we have no problem being seated/reserving for 8:00 or later.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, zqvol said:

Oh my gosh,  this is not how it posted on my computer!  So sorry, I see that is like trying to read the Declaration of Independence!  Lol

2 hours ago, medicalma'am said:

Oh my gosh,  this is not how it posted on my computer!  So sorry, I see that is like trying to read the Declaration of Independence!  Lol

Thank you that seems to be happening to a bunch of people the past few days. My old eyes can’t read that stuff.