GTY room not for correct # of people

We have a guarantee balcony room booked on Symphony. We noticed this morning that if we look up our setsail passes, it has a room # showing, but in our other information the room # still just says GTY. Does anyone know if the room number is accurate at this point? The reason I ask is we are booked for three and the room is showing on the deck plan on RC site as being only for two people.

I’ve read here that the room assignment can change, but I don’t recall reading of a specific instance where that happened. Then again, I’m not sure how many people know how to check before the official assignment is made. What is the room number?

11 minutes ago, TBone2K said:

We have a guarantee balcony room booked on Symphony. We noticed this morning that if we look up our setsail passes, it has a room # showing, but in our other information the room # still just says GTY. Does anyone know if the room number is accurate at this point? The reason I ask is we are booked for three and the room is showing on the deck plan on RC site as being only for two people.

I'd be calling whomever I booked with if it's a 2 pax cabin for sure. Since we dont know the category no way we can know if it's a 2 pax cabin. Call.

22 minutes ago, TBone2K said:

The reason I ask is we are booked for three and the room is showing on the deck plan on RC site as being only for two people.

We had a lengthy thread with this exact scenario recently and while all indications online showed the cabin for two, it ended up being able to accommodate three. The cabin is unlikely to change.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

We had a lengthy thread with this exact scenario recently and while all indications online showed the cabin for two, it ended up being able to accommodate three. The cabin is unlikely to change.

To add, the GTY would normally be assigned to match the number of people listed on the original booking that was entered.  If they indicated 3 on the booking, a stateroom for 3 should be assigned.  If the GTY category selected would for some reason not include available staterooms to accommodate 3 it would not likely be accepted.

As suggested by another poster, if a stateroom number is issued, and a check of the deck plans for Symphony doesn't show the correct stateroom capacity, I would contact whomever I booked with to have them confirm.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TBone2K said:

Royal is now putting 3 people in a double occupancy room by making up the sofa into a bed, which is all that they have done for most of the rooms that they have that now accommodate 3 but not 4 guests

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal is now putting 3 people in a double occupancy room by making up the sofa into a bed, which is all that they have done for most of the rooms that they have that now accommodate 3 but not 4 guests

So are they now all sofa beds that fold out, or are they just making the standard sofa into a bed on top of the cushions?

Thanks. Already have a call in to our TA. Waiting to hear back.

Biker, I tried search your recent comments and didn't find the discussion, but thanks for the info.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That's interesting. One cruise, our third person was a senior and we had specifically requested a pullout. They put us in a room with a pullman anyway and customer service said there was no other choice because the ship didn't have pullouts and they couldn't make up the couch (it would have been too small anyway). They resolved it by giving our third a room of her own, but it was only available because somebody didn't show up.

Edited by TBone2K
  • Like 2

Just now, TBone2K said:

That's interesting. One cruise, our third person was a senior and we had specifically requested a pullout. They put us in a room with a pullman anyway and customer service said there was no other choice and they couldn't make up the couch (it would have been too small anyway). They resolved it by giving our third a room of her own, but it was only available because somebody didn't show up.

It all depends on the class of ship.

Symphony does not have pullmans.  It also does not have the small loveseats that many of the cabins that have pullmans have.  I was answering  specifically for what they have done on Symphony and other Oasis class ships 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

56 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just a sofa that they add a sheet to.

That is really disappointing. We booked a suite GTY for 3 people on Wonder, and by far the majority of the JSs on that ship are J4s intended to sleep 2. I have a problem with the practice of putting more people in a room than it was intended to (comfortably) sleep.

Edited by LisaLisa87
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

That is really disappointing. We booked a suite GTY for 3 people on Wonder, and by far the majority of the JSs on that ship are J4s intended to sleep 2. I have a problem with the practice of putting more people in a room than it was intended to (comfortably) sleep.

Until your cabin is assigned there is no point worrying about it as yo could very well be assigned a J3 with a pullout sofa

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just a sofa that they add a sheet to.

That's despicable behavior! We pay way too much money to sleep on a sofa! I'd be complaining to customer service. If they couldn't do anything, I'd file a formal complaint with corporate when I got home.

I wonder if the US Coast Guard is aware of this practice? The ship is certified for a specific number of passengers.

Royal is getting greedy!!! 😔

Edited by TheBeardedCruiser

12 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

That's despicable behavior! We pay way too much money to sleep on a sofa! I'd be complaining to customer service. If they couldn't do anything, I'd file a formal complaint with corporate when I got home.

I wonder if the US Coast Guard is aware of this practice? The ship is certified for a specific number of passengers.

Honestly, I'd take a sofa vs most of tje sofabeds ive slept on.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

Many people sleep on sofas on ships.  The newer style sofabeds have removable bolsters on the back and a trundle that pulls out to make the sofabed big enough for two, so one person is sleeping on what you sit on when it is set up as a couch.  From the picture of the cabin that was a two person cabin and is now a three person cabin, the third berth looks to just be the same style sofa that is used for the trundle style sofabeds.  It likely doesn't have a trundle that pulls out.  Those sofas are much more comfortable than the old futon style sofas that they folded down to make a double bed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

I am sure it is CG approved.  The ship has two capacities, one which is based on double occupancy, or two passengers per stateroom, and maximum capacity, which is based on the total passenger lifeboat capacity.  That is why many standard staterooms are configured for 3 and 4 passengers.

Having someone sleep on a couch, while IMO not very agreeable, would certainly be vetted and approved by the CG or it wouldn't be offered. Too much at stake for the cruise line otherwise.  And they will only book as many in this manner as the maximum capacity number will allow.

You could always call and ask to change your cabin assignment to another one chosen by yourself.  It has to be in the same category, but worth a try?

Radiance 8136 shows a triangle in the deck plan but had the same sofa as 8132 and 8134, which didn't.  VERY tight for a small 9 year old.  She didn't complain but her parents had hoped for at least a pullout bed or pullman.  She sleeps with so many stuffies there is seldom enough room for her, and half the time she is on top of the stuffies so even the floor is probably fine.  But would have been really uncomfortable for a 5'6" or larger person.

On 7/18/2024 at 6:44 AM, TBone2K said:

I once boarded Rhapsody and was told we had a room change from interior to window. Upon entering the room it was for 2 not 4. They ended up giving us a second window room for two, 2 doors down from the first for my 2 teens to share!

• Like 1