Bear hunt alaska end of August on royal caribbean

At icy strait point. Spasski river.

I have 2 choices, 1pm or 3pm start.

Am i more likely to have a sighting at 1pm start or 3pm start please? I know its probably negligible but i want to give ourselves the best chance.

Thanks guys x

Screenshot_20240718_161808_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't think that bears care if they eat you for lunch or for a pre-dinner snack. The two hour time difference shouldn't make a difference as the Alaska guides that we have had are really good at finding their prey. The guides know where the bears and other wildlife hang-out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Googled this; however, it does not give a specific time. Maybe someone else can narrow down a timeline for you. 

The best time to see bears at Icy Strait Point, Alaska is May through September, when the bears are most active:
  • Late April or early May: Bears are coming out of hibernation and looking for food
  • June to August: Bears are mating and eating grasses on the tidal flats 

Bears are most active at dawn and dusk during the spring and summer, but you can still look for them almost any time of day. Sightings are more likely when bears are actively searching for food. 

Icy Strait Point is a great destination for bear watching because of the high concentration of bears on Chichagof Island, which National Geographic has nicknamed "Bear Island". The island has 1–2 brown bears per square mile. Some tour options include:
  • Icy Strait Point Excursions
    Offers a 3-hour wilderness and bear search tour on Chichagof Island that includes round trip transfer from Icy Strait Point and vans with individual seating
  • Hoonah Travel Adventures LLC HTA Main
    Offers a Wilderness Tour and Brown Bear Search that includes exploring Chichagof Island and learning about the wildlife and culture from a guide
  • Alaska Shore Excursions
    Offers a 4-hour Icy Strait Exclusive Wildlife and Bear Search Tour that includes roundtrip guided transportation and bottled water 

Featured snippet from the web

In July, the salmon start their migration from the ocean up the rivers and we find the bears feeding in coastal rivers and streams. In August and September, the salmon have made it further up the rivers to shallow streams where the bears chase them.

• Like 1

I really thought this was going to be questions about taking a rifle aboard and how to arrange an actual bear hunt from a cruise ship.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, five. said:

I really thought this was going to be questions about taking a rifle aboard and how to arrange an actual bear hunt from a cruise ship.

Personally, I was going to answer that bears are much easier to spot on a Caribbean cruise.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, five. said:

Nope im a lover not a hunter. No judgement from me but i love seeing wildlife in their natural habitat, bears are on my bucket list.... even if they eat me at least id be ticking one off the bucket list just before i go 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Personally, I was going to answer that bears are much easier to spot on a Caribbean cruise.

They're found in the hot tubs a lot!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, five. said:

That's what I thought, too.

I mean I love a good bear roast, but I don't think you could get a crock pot into the ship.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RCruisecontrol said:

Nope im a lover not a hunter. No judgement from me but i love seeing wildlife in their natural habitat, bears are on my bucket list.... even if they eat me at least id be ticking one off the bucket list just before i go 

Have fun! I sure hope that you get to see lots of bears and other beautiful animals in their natural habitat!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That's what I thought, too.
I mean I love a good bear roast, but I don't think you could get a crock pot into the ship.

Some hot tubs are pretty hot though so may cook to rare.😜 Sorry, my bad!

• Haha 2

If you can book the tour locally (and ship hasn't bought all the slots), do so.  Cheaper and smaller groups.  All the locals in Hoonah are nice folks and really work for the tourist dollar.  They also help "competing" companies - most are family operations. 

Last week mom Teresa drove the Glacier Winds van and delivered us to son Casey for our tour on their 14 passenger boat.  All the small local boats saw a ton of whales - often surrounded by them.  The cruise ship tour (over 100 guests) didn't go out as far and saw NOTHING.

• Like 2