Diabetic dining question

mina

Posted (edited)

Newly diagnosed diabetic and I need to get my glucose under control while on my upcoming cruise to avoid having to go on insulin, so will be very motivated.  I know that there are  sugar free offerings for deserts,  but will  not be eating them a lot as most of these are made with fruit juices or alcohol sugar. I need to focus on carb reduction, overall.  I added this restriction to my booking info.  Will I be able to make adjustments to the standard dining room menu option while dining, like please give me two servings of veggies, no potatoes, sauces on the side?   Or do I need to meet with the maitre’d each night and order in advance?  Having cruised a lot, I think I can tweak the normal offerings on the menu, but am not sure what the protocol should be?  

also, does the international cafe have unsweetened almond milk or just sweetened?  

thanks!  

Edited by mina

Posted (edited)

I can't answer most of your questions, but I can tell you that your waiter will be happy to bring you a big dish of plain, steamed vegetables every night. Hubby and I eat a lot of vegetables, and we often do this when we cruise. You'll get whatever items are on the night's menus.

Edited by Sea Hag
  • Like 2

Your secret is not just what you can or should not eat, but how large is a portion size.  If you eat something ‘bad’, balance it with more protein and veggies.  EM

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@mina do yourself a favor.  Here's what we do (I have an allergy, BIL is a brittle Type 1 diabetic). As soon as you sit down at your 1st MDR meal, inform your waiter that you are a newly diagnosed diabetic. They will get you their Head Waiter not the Maitre D who will monitor your dishes. That way you can still have a wide selection of meals plus baked & frozen desserts. I've actually had my choices redirected plus had a new favorite that never showed on the menues

FWIW I get to eat in MDR, Alfredos / Gigis, Sabatinis, anywhere i want on the ship without any concern 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Your secret is not just what you can or should not eat, but how large is a portion size.  If you eat something ‘bad’, balance it with more protein and veggies.  EM

Thank you.  I am aware of this.     My focus is on whether I should bother the maitre’d with planning my upcoming options.   Sounds like that will be the best approach.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@mina do yourself a favor.  Here's what we do (I have an allergy, BIL is a brittle Type 1 diabetic). As soon as you sit down at your 1st MDR meal, inform your waiter that you are a newly diagnosed diabetic. They will get you their Head Waiter not the Maitre D who will monitor your dishes. That way you can still have a wide selection of meals plus baked & frozen desserts. I've actually had my choices redirected plus had a new favorite that never showed on the menues

FWIW I get to eat in MDR, Alfredos / Gigis, Sabatinis, anywhere i want on the ship without any concern 

Perfect!  That is what I was wondering.  Given diabetes is so prevalent nowadays, I did not know if it was appropriate to ask for support as we do when we travel with our gluten-free niece.  We do have reservations for crown grill, which should not be a problem and for sabatinis.  Sabatinis will require me to get  creative as any type of pasta is spiking me bad.  However, the have a lot of options that should be fine.

Edited by mina
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mina said:

Thank you.  I am aware of this.     My focus is on whether I should bother the maitre’d with planning my upcoming options.   Sounds like that will be the best approach.

You will talk with the Dining Room Manager (or Head Waiter). You do not need to talk with the Director of Restaurant Operations (Maitre'd). You are not bothering him - he is doing his job. It's probably easier for him to modify the menu than to try to work out something with your waiter.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mina said:

Perfect!  That is what I was wondering.  Given diabetes is so prevalent nowadays, I did not know if it was appropriate to ask for support as we do when we travel with our gluten-free niece.  We do have reservations for crown grill, which should not be a problem and for sabatinis.  Sabatinis will require me to get  creative as any type of pasta is spiking me bad.  However, the have a lot of options that should be fine.

I recommend you talk with the Dining Room Manager (Head Waiter) at each of the specialty restaurants the day before your reservations. They can then make adjustments.

• Like 1

I sail trying to keep my carbs around 35 grams per day.  I was able to cut carbs out of every meal and never had an issue with my requests while ordering. Added broccoli instead of potatoes, extra salad over main course, or mixed and match items from the menu. At Planks, I was able to get the meat without any sauce or sides. At Gastropub they made me a side salad without asking when I asked for my burger without the bun and no sides. It was a nice touch. At scoops by the pool they don’t have it listed but they keep sugar free ice cream in the back freezer. You should also find a lot of fiber choices to help. And they can bring oil/vinegar for dressing.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:
43 minutes ago, mina said:

Expand  

I recommend you talk with the Dining Room Manager (Head Waiter) at each of the specialty restaurants the day before your reservations. They can then make adjustments.

I tell my HW that I'm going to (Alfredos / Gigis / Sabatinis / seder in buffet) and my HW handles it. It's 'nice' to inform each restaurant's HW but not necessarily needed. But your HW will need to know where you'll be the next dinner. Breakfast isn't an issue but lunch can be

It was kinda weird when my HW Alejandro ran my SD Gastropub tomato soup (off menu item) & cheesy potato (nowhere on a menu, it's Alejandro's creation) up to the buffet seder but he explained it's part of his job. I honestly was just going to have plain steamed veggies but Alejandro thought otherwise (immune reaction to black pepper and low sodium diet; try pizza with that 😳)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, tulok said:

I sail trying to keep my carbs around 35 grams per day.  I was able to cut carbs out of every meal and never had an issue with my requests while ordering. Added broccoli instead of potatoes, extra salad over main course, or mixed and match items from the menu. At Planks, I was able to get the meat without any sauce or sides. At Gastropub they made me a side salad without asking when I asked for my burger without the bun and no sides. It was a nice touch. At scoops by the pool they don’t have it listed but they keep sugar free ice cream in the back freezer. You should also find a lot of fiber choices to help. And they can bring oil/vinegar for dressing.

Wow.  I m excited now to do planks!  Was not going to go there as the meats all had sauces which I am sure are full of sugar!   Did not know that scoops kept sugar free ice cream.   

• Like 1

When my DH and I were on Keto a few years ago, we found that dining/eating/grazing on a cruise was really very easy. Smart choices with lots of options, no problem!

• Like 3

On 7/18/2024 at 2:51 PM, mina said:

also, does the international cafe have unsweetened almond milk or just sweetened?  

thanks!  

I'm sure it varies by ship, but I have not found unsweetened almond milk in the IC.  The sweetened is a bit too carby for me (was in the pre-diabetic range but keeping numbers in good shape with diet) so I stuck with plain Americanos.  However, last cruise (Discovery), I saw they had unsweetened coconut milk and asked them to use that in my cappuccino.  Wonderful and way fewer carbs (and no sugar).  Hoping I can find this still being supplied on our next sailing.

As a side note and not sure if you drink alcoholic beverages, but my go-to (for the few drinks I have) is a gin and tonic.  I have been able to get diet tonic water most of the time - just have to ask and they have been very accommodating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peanutter said:

I'm sure it varies by ship, but I have not found unsweetened almond milk in the IC.  The sweetened is a bit too carby for me (was in the pre-diabetic range but keeping numbers in good shape with diet) so I stuck with plain Americanos.  However, last cruise (Discovery), I saw they had unsweetened coconut milk and asked them to use that in my cappuccino.  Wonderful and way fewer carbs (and no sugar).  Hoping I can find this still being supplied on our next sailing.

As a side note and not sure if you drink alcoholic beverages, but my go-to (for the few drinks I have) is a gin and tonic.  I have been able to get diet tonic water most of the time - just have to ask and they have been very accommodating.

Thank you.  Yes the hard part will be the drinks.  I love my sweet martinis, but those are off the table now.   Will stick to white claws if they still have them and maybe some mojitos made with club soda instead of simple syrup….   

Tito’s with club soda and limes. Champagne is an option as it is lower in carbs than most wines. 

IC does have sugar free flavor syrup. I had to partake in a splash with heavy cream in regular coffee. Let them know you only want a splash as the sugar free doesn’t have a pump to dispense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mina said:

Thank you.  Yes the hard part will be the drinks.  I love my sweet martinis, but those are off the table now.   Will stick to white claws if they still have them and maybe some mojitos made with club soda instead of simple syrup….   

I'd suggest asking guidance from your doctor before consuming alcohol. 

27 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

I'd suggest asking guidance from your doctor before consuming alcohol. 

already have, but thanks for checking.  I know a lot of people are not aware of alcohol impacts.

On 7/18/2024 at 2:30 PM, mina said:

Mina, I eat keto as a lifestyle, not due to diabetes or any other medical reason, but just because I feel my best this way. I have always given myself permission to take a break from it on vacations/holidays if I feel so inclined (the willpower to go right back to it after vacations has never been a problem for me).

BUT...it's very possible to stay keto/low carb on a Princess cruise! I love getting my morning Americanos at the International Cafe or Princess Live cafe, and adding a splash of cream (they have a couple sugar free syrups/sweeteners, too). The buffet, main dining room, and Crown Grill are dining mainstays for me. There are so many appropriate protein choices, and the staff have always been accommodating if I ask for a change like "please add green vegetables, and subtract potatoes". Crown Grill in particular has a la carte sides, so you can just order the greens or something like sauteed mushrooms. I drink spirits without mixers, or sparkling/dry wines, if I feel like drinking alcohol.

As for dessert... I've sampled many of the "sugar free" options available. Those are still carby, clearly made with white flours and unknown sugar substitutes. They're a SLIGHTLY BETTER choice for a low-carb/low-sugar lifestyle, but will still likely spike your blood sugar. As others have mentioned, there is decent sugar free ice cream available, and you should also be able to get fresh berries as a dessert at the end of a MDR meal.

Highly recommend you consult with a head waiter at the first MDR meal, as others have suggested. They get all kinds of requests like this, and they won't even blink 🙂 You should be able to do well with the choices outside the MDR, too. I hope it's a wonderful experience for you!

@rustysunshine, thanks for the tips.  I have tried the sugar free deserts before as well and agree.  They are not good for diabetics. I am gonna focus on the sugar free ice cream.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2024 at 11:51 AM, mina said:

Newly diagnosed diabetic and I need to get my glucose under control while on my upcoming cruise to avoid having to go on insulin, so will be very motivated.  I know that there are  sugar free offerings for deserts,  but will  not be eating them a lot as most of these are made with fruit juices or alcohol sugar. I need to focus on carb reduction, overall.  I added this restriction to my booking info.  Will I be able to make adjustments to the standard dining room menu option while dining, like please give me two servings of veggies, no potatoes, sauces on the side?   Or do I need to meet with the maitre’d each night and order in advance?  Having cruised a lot, I think I can tweak the normal offerings on the menu, but am not sure what the protocol should be?  

thanks!  

Way to go working on your health.

Sugar isn't all desserts. Avoid french fries and breads too. We request no sauce on foods, and ask them to not bring bread to the table. 

Avoid the desserts at dinner, and whatever they are using to substitute sugar - you don't want the chemicals. If you want a sweet, have something mid-day, then exercise to work it off.

Whatever you've requested on your booking, don't expect the dining personnel to review. Be proactive and let them know. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, phabric said:

I found it easier to have the same table/time in the dining room so not to explain about diet at each meal.

This.  It was one thing I really liked about fixed dining.