Unauthorised Removal

We recently compleated a Croation cruise on the Encore.

On the last day of the cruise it coincided with my wife's birthday. We were very much surprised by a Champagne Breakfast provided by the attentive and smiling crew in the Colonnade, they make such a difference!.

This happy day was further enhanced by a delightful early evening dinner at Solis, a much improved experience after the previous TK experiences.

A nice cake was presented at the conclusion of our dinner, again a nice birthday touch!!.

We thanked the staff and departed for a quiet celeberational drink in our cabin as we are very light drinkers, and with the "Happy Birthday" banner still in our cabin it was cosy and relaxing.

We had not touched the original bottle of Champagne that was provided on our initial boarding, but was placed in our fridge with our other two untouched bottles.

So, to our surprise our three bottles were removed, we assume during our Solis booked visit, and only the soft drinks and the beer remained.

We later informed the staff in Seabourn Square of our dismay at the unexpected removal of our champagne and were sheepishly informed that it was a now the practice to remove bottles of alcohol from cabins before guests depart.

As we pay the approximate daily cost of around AU$ 2000, is it too much to expect that the removal of uncomsumed alcohol is undertaken after we have departed the ship?

Some would say - order cabin staff to bring a bottle to the cabin, or indeed go to the ships bars, but we almost never disturb the housekeeping staff as they have much other work to do. We also rarely visit the bars, but imbibe the occasional wines with our restaurant visits.

Advocating work arounds is beside the point. Our point is that for as long as we occupy a cabin nothing should be removed except that which is placed in rubbish bins. Replacing towels and other linen is an understood practice. 

If Seabourn wishes to remove wine bottles and the like before guests leave the ship they should seek authorisation. I am not sure what the legal position would be for the current practice.

As a long term passenger with Seabourn this experience has left a sour note and we are looking at other cruise lines. 

SEABOURN BIRTHDAY.jpg

CAKE ENCORE!.jpg

HVAR CROATIA.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Cruise lines should take note of how sensitive pax can be when it comes to champagne.  On another forum there’s a discussion about a pax seeking arbitration over a bottle of champagne.

Edited by Gourmet Gal
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, naata said:

As a long term passenger with Seabourn this experience has left a sour note and we are looking at other cruise lines. 

Really?

Despite the fact that you seemed to be quite happy with the surprise champagne breakfast, with your delightful dinner at Solis, with the nice cake presented after dinner and with the Happy Birthday banner in your cabin, you are so offended that you are considering going to another cruise line instead of Seabourn, where you have been a long term passenger?  After many years on Seabourn, this one incident is enough to prompt you to go elsewhere for future cruises? 

And, yes, I'm one of those who would say that you could easily ask for another bottle, and you would receive one promptly and with a smile. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, purpleally said:

Not only did they do that on our last cruise, they removed the beer that we had brought on board!  It was obviously not any beer they carry

Hi Spartan, looks like we require a lock on our fridges!. 

This is not about the Champagne but a principal.    If Seabourn has an endevour to perhaps streamline the changeover, a note informing the occupants of this removal intention would be appropriate ..... after all we get quite a number of other notes placed in our cabin.   Having worked for a global USA business I am well aware how the internal finance staff are directed to extract any savings possible, I think Seabourn is on that path.

Despite partaking of the cabin fruit bowl for the first two days, that disapeared never to return again, another finance initiative ??.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, naata said:

Despite partaking of the cabin fruit bowl for the first two days, that disapeared never to return again, another finance initiative ??.

On our last few cruises, there was a comment on the website that listed the amenities for Veranda cabins stating that the fruit bowl would be refreshed upon request.

When we asked our cabin attendant to bring us only bananas, they kept bringing us so many that we had to finally tell them we couldn't eat that many.

I don't doubt that this policy will result in a slight cost savings for SB, but I appreciate that there won't be as much food wastage now.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

On our last few cruises, there was a comment on the website that listed the amenities for Veranda cabins stating that the fruit bowl would be refreshed upon request.

When we asked our cabin attendant to bring us only bananas, they kept bringing us so many that we had to finally tell them we couldn't eat that many.

I don't doubt that this policy will result in a slight cost savings for SB, but I appreciate that there won't be as much food wastage now.

+1!   Had the same experience several times in the past year or so…I also recall this on another lux line you and I have sailed

N

• Like 3

With all the included liquor why does it matter so much?   We place a sticky on what we want to keep or pack in our checked baggage.   How much do you drink on your last evening?   Hope you find another line with different policies.

• Like 6

We were not aware that we needed to put a sticky on anything that we wished to retain as removing items had not happened before. We would have appreciated if Seabourn had warned us of this new practice. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

What a scandal and hardship! And to think that nobody told you to brace yourself for the risk. Like so unfair…

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 7/19/2024 at 2:23 AM, naata said:

but we almost never disturb the housekeeping staff as they have much other work to do.

It's kind of you to not disturbe the housekeeping staff.  However, much of their work will be in the change over days when they are clearing out cabins and preparing them for new guests and in that process, I'm assuming they try to get a jump on things by clearing out items that seem to be unused.  I think they took our champagne the last night also, but we rarely drink it anymore since my husband doesn't like it and there is plenty available elsewhere.  They also generally take our unused hangers the last day  which can cause a momentary inconvience.  As markham said 'like so unfair..."

• Like 3

On 7/23/2024 at 11:14 PM, Roel94 said:

I never had booze removed on any line. I been known to pack it. This cheapens the cruise.

I'm confused, what cheapens the cruise?  The fact that they remove the booze or that you pack it?  Thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

This has happened to us several times on different cruise lines, so we now "hide" a bottle if we wish to take it to our hotel if not travelling home. However, on our most recent cruise with Silversea, our room steward removed our bathrobes on the final night. We found that a bit much. 

• Like 3

On a past Seabourn cruise, the room steward removed the suit hangers, that included clip bars for the slacks, we had brought with us. We were wearing one of the outfits that would be hanging on them but the other had a jacket that was placed on a different hanger. We needed our personal hangers for traveling home.  Housekeeping had to spend some time looking for them but they were returned that night.  Now we hide any personal hangers the last couple of nights. 

• Like 2

On 7/25/2024 at 5:07 PM, commodoredave said:

This has happened to us several times on different cruise lines, so we now "hide" a bottle if we wish to take it to our hotel if not travelling home. However, on our most recent cruise with Silversea, our room steward removed our bathrobes on the final night. We found that a bit much. 

I have sleot n robe or use it for a shower before leaving ship. Never had a robe walk away but had  booze fridge locked on another line. I feel you paid fir cabin thru breakfast .like they want you gone before you came back  at night.

• Like 2