Jade engine issues delayed until Sunday

1 hour ago, dbrown84 said:

I've never had this happen to me, but I've always wondered what they do for those that sail comped.  The percentage FCC would be useless 

Use it for an upgrade, assuming the FCC is 20% off of a future cruise.

The comp for those of us on the cruise was 10% FCC and up to $300pp reimbursed expenses for flight changes.

We canceled our flight and got a rental car due to all the flight problems, so I’m not sure if that’ll be reimbursed. We are just glad to be on our way. 

The ship was initially traveling at 6 knots (nauts?) after the breakdown and full stop, but we sped back up and got into port about 4 hours earlier than initially predicted. Maybe they got it fixed before we got home?  Not sure. Anyway, I hope you all have a good trip. 

17 hours ago, julig22 said:

Use it for an upgrade, assuming the FCC is 20% off of a future cruise.

Yeah.  I wonder if it would work on the admin fee.  The military discount does 

37 minutes ago, Aussie Jeep said:

Just announced that our departure is delayed due to technical issues.  Furth to be updated 

Good luck, seems like the azipod issues are taking a bit of time to resolve. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Jeep said:

Just announced that our departure is delayed due to technical issues.  Furth to be updated 

Oh no, now the ship has technical and mechanical problems? Hope your vacation is not completely ruined☹️

Please keep us updated if you can. We board (hopefully) on 8/3. Just wondering if I should book excursions at the planned ports or just wait until the itinerary is fully confirmed.

Thank you everyone for all this info! You are on the cruise before us. We leave this Saturday 27th. Please let me know how it is going, I so appreciate it. Have a wonderful cruise hopefully with no more delays. 🙂

• Like 1

This is certainly an interesting development.  It looks like the ship is heading to Puerto Plata and currently cruising at about 20 knots, which seems to indicate that they are running both azipods without major speed issues.  I would say it appears they should arrive around tomorrow afternoon, about a day and a half behind schedule.  I understand Tortola getting cut from the itinerary here with the late departure, but I would think Puerto Rico would be an easy stop from the Dominican Republic on the way to GSC.  These ABB Azipods seem to continue to be quite a problem for NCL on the initial ships that had them installed.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Kortehgehn said:

This is certainly an interesting development.  It looks like the ship is heading to Puerto Plata and currently cruising at about 20 knots, which seems to indicate that they are running both azipods without major speed issues.  I would say it appears they should arrive around tomorrow afternoon, about a day and a half behind schedule.  I understand Tortola getting cut from the itinerary here with the late departure, but I would think Puerto Rico would be an easy stop from the Dominican Republic on the way to GSC.  These ABB Azipods seem to continue to be quite a problem for NCL on the initial ships that had them installed.

Yep azipod issues plagued the Star for a long time

Edited by njkate
  • Like 1

So far we are cruising along. The mood on the ship overall is much better. The ship seems to be moving at a good speed.

no further itinerary changes have been announced. Hopefully we will be in D.R. Tomorrow. 

• Like 3

marinetraffic shows Jade running at nearly 20 knots... not awful but I wonder if they will be deleting ports from all itineraries for weeks to come until an emergency dry dock repair.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

marinetraffic shows Jade running at nearly 20 knots... not awful but I wonder if they will be deleting ports from all itineraries for weeks to come until an emergency dry dock repair.

A few thoughts here.  I was under the impression that the missed ports were primarily due to the late departure from Port Canaveral after the technical issue was addressed.  It seems that the azipod is at least partially functional, and some quick math tells me that 20 knots will cover the distances required in almost precisely the amount of time listed in the original itinerary.  So, I am hopeful that this is not the case.  Also, I believe that the Jewel-class ships tend to have a top speed between 26-28 knots and average around 20-22, so it would appear to be a typical speed for the Jade; nothing necessarily unusual there.

I certainly could be wrong, though, and I'd definitely be curious to learn more about the exact details of the technical malfunction with the azipod in question.  That would most likely be more informative as to the impact on future itineraries.  A view of the ship's wake could also be revealing as to the current state of the azipod.  Does the Jade have a bridge viewing room with duplicate navigation screens?

Edited by Kortehgehn