Plus package vs Premier package

bobk57

28 minutes ago, getaway101 said:

We won $250 obc, flowers and a full day at the sanctuary

Do have to do anything special or just open the cabin door?

In past cruise we've just ignored the message when entering.

When I originally scheduled our next cruise aboard the Sun Princess in May, I only purchased the Plus package to go along with our cove balcony cabin. But when they offered the new Sanctuary class balconies for $500P/P more I decided to upgrade us, and it comes with the Premier package. The app won't let us schedule any dinners, specialty or MDR, because we haven't paid it in full yet. Almost thinking I might pay the balance early just so we can do this?

56 minutes ago, IndyKid said:

The app won't let us schedule any dinners, specialty or MDR, because we haven't paid it in full yet. Almost thinking I might pay the balance early just so we can do this?

I personally would, ASAP. Once the SD's are filled, you're SOL. 

45 minutes ago, 555 said:

I personally would, ASAP. Once the SD's are filled, you're SOL. 

So if someone buys Premier and can’t book any dinners you don’t think accommodations would be made ?  Believe me that not all tables are pre booked. The only problem would be for people who say they ca only eat between 5:00 and 7:00

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, memoak said:

So if someone buys Premier and can’t book any dinners you don’t think accommodations would be made ?  Believe me that not all tables are pre booked. The only problem would be for people who say they ca only eat between 5:00 and 7:00

I've heard that once you get aboard the ship that you can inquire about getting a table at the SD places? I should certainly think that certain accommodation would be made since you've already paid for it. 

2 minutes ago, IndyKid said:

I've heard that once you get aboard the ship that you can inquire about getting a table at the SD places? I should certainly think that certain accommodation would be made since you've already paid for it. 

That or people asking for OBC. 

59 minutes ago, memoak said:

There are spaces available onboard the ship. But there is no way everyone who wants SD dining can be accommodated. It’s never been stated that’s it’s a guaranteed premier perk. I doubt there will be compensation because there will be too many people claiming it. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, paddingtonbear said:

There are spaces available onboard the ship. But there is no way everyone who wants SD dining can be accommodated. It’s never been stated that’s it’s a guaranteed premier perk. I doubt there will be compensation because there will be too many people claiming it. 

How is the word unlimited interpreted ?  Embarkation SD dinner for suites is a guaranteed perk   If it is not guaranteed and you can’t get a table each day what compensation would be appropriate ?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, memoak said:

How is the word unlimited interpreted ?  Embarkation SD dinner for suites is a guaranteed perk   If it is not guaranteed and you can’t get a table each day what compensation would be appropriate ?

Princess claim that it's subject to availability so basically means diddly squat.

• Like 5

The only reason Princess did all this was to increase revenue, period. All of their cabins are pretty much booked, so now the only way to gain more profits is to increase the amount they can squeeze out of each passenger. Will it entice enough people to spend the extra $30 P/P going from Plus to Premier? Only if you're a foodie (or an alcoholic, since it's now unlimited drinks). I never got close to the 15-drink limit on our last cruise (we did the Premier). As I stated earlier, my intention for our upcoming cruise was to just do the Plus, and maybe spring for an Ultimate Balcony Dinner for 1 night, but since we upgraded to the Sanctuary Collection we get Premier included as well. Since we get a few extra perks besides the Premier package I won't be too upset if we can't do a specialty dinner each night, as we will also have our own dedicated dining venue with a special menu. But if I was springing for the $180 per night for the wife and I and couldn't get a table for the SD venues, you can bet that I would never buy the Premier package again.

Edited by IndyKid
  • Like 1

@IndyKid we buy the premier package not for the unlimited drinks but because of the better quality drinks.  I never have gotten anywhere near 15 drinks!  I also like the photos, reserved seating, and unlimited casual dining and definitely, Princess prizes.  I plan on purchasing it on my next few cruises that are on Royal class ships and won’t be insisting on specialty dining every evening.  It still has value to us.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just book the restaurants each day than pay $90 x 2 $180 each day if you don't even want the drinks and WiFi?

If you have a Casual Dining lunch it will be $14.99 plus 18% service charge ($17.69).  Specialty Dinner will cost $45.00 plus 18% service charge ($53.10).  That equals $70.79.  Add in the crew appreciation and a cappuccino and you are breaking even.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

@IndyKid we buy the premier package not for the unlimited drinks but because of the better quality drinks.  I never have gotten anywhere near 15 drinks!  I also like the photos, reserved seating, and unlimited casual dining and definitely, Princess prizes.  I plan on purchasing it on my next few cruises that are on Royal class ships and won’t be insisting on specialty dining every evening.  It still has value to us.  

I guess my tastes are simple, I don't think any of the drinks I consume are more the $15. Yes, we enjoy all the other perks you mentioned that come with it also but I'm thinking that, for a lot of people, they are not worth the extra $210/PP if they can't enjoy the unlimited specialty dining. If people start having issues booking these dinners, there will be a whole lot of bad PR for Princess, especially in this forum. I sometimes wonder - does anyone from Princess or Carnival Corporation monitor these boards?

9 minutes ago, IndyKid said:

I sometimes wonder - does anyone from Princess or Carnival Corporation monitor these boards?

Never mind these boards. Other social media sites with a larger audience will light up. I know they monitor those because they reply to the negative comments.

11 hours ago, IndyKid said:

The reason people struggle to pre book SD is there are limited tables for 2 these fill up quick.

Many(most?) sailings still loads of capacity for 3 or more on bigger tables.

Even on board the app will say no availablity, walk up and often no problems getting booked in.

Last cruise we could pretty much pick any day time when we ask to move a reservation yet app had very few openings all cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, memoak said:

I've checked with Princess many times as my app doesn't work for making reservations. It's been confirmed over and over that any reservations in some of the SD restaurants on our trip are completely booked. 

Weather or not they could accommodate one more couple once aboard the ship is another matter but I'll certainly give it a try.

We want reservations at  Teppanyaki and there's nothing available at any time on any night for our cruise. The closest we can get is Hot Pot which we booked didn't really want, but booked. 

People are filling all the SD restaurants since with Premier dining it's included. Why wouldn't you not eat at a SD restaurant?

I've had to call many time in order to get what reservations we finally did make. 

12 hours ago, IndyKid said:

You would think so and we will try to change from Hot Pot to Teppanyaki as soon as we board. Somehow I don't think we'll be able to change but hopefully your correct. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, insidecabin said:

The reason people struggle to pre book SD is there are limited tables for 2 these fill up quick.

Many(most?) sailings still loads of capacity for 3 or more on bigger tables.

Even on board the app will say no availablity, walk up and often no problems getting booked in.

Last cruise we could pretty much pick any day time when we ask to move a reservation yet app had very few openings all cruise.

But wouldn’t your last cruise have been before the implementation of the new $90 Premier perk with “unlimited” Speciality dining? 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, IndyKid said:

I guess my tastes are simple, I don't think any of the drinks I consume are more the $15. Yes, we enjoy all the other perks you mentioned that come with it also but I'm thinking that, for a lot of people, they are not worth the extra $210/PP if they can't enjoy the unlimited specialty dining. If people start having issues booking these dinners, there will be a whole lot of bad PR for Princess, especially in this forum. I sometimes wonder - does anyone from Princess or Carnival Corporation monitor these boards?

I know they have someone watching these boards.  

I understand the reason they are trying this to make the experience more all inclusive.  

My theory is when something is limited to a set quantity, human nature for some dictates people feel like they have to get the absolute maximum out of it.  I hear people say, “I can’t drink 15 drinks a day so, I feel perfectly ok with sharing those with my friends that don’t have the package”.  That’s not the way it is supposed to work but I still hear it all the time.  Or they state, “I paid for 15 drinks and I must make the most of my package” by over indulging in the process.  
When something is unlimited, people tend to set their own limits .. well, hopefully they will.  
Time will tell.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Which social media sites does Princess monitor and reply to the negative comments? 

This was quite some time ago but, I learned that the social media monitor for Celebrity monitored this site.  (I know that’s not Princess but I’m just sayin’)
Although I’m not a complainer by nature and wrote a very complimentary post about my cruise but with one disappointment.  We went with a group of friends to Murano and I always love to order a salad with my meal.  But, I also wanted to order an appetizer.  Apparently, this was against the rules at that time.  The waiter refused me and I asked him politely if he’d rather see me go to the buffet for my small salad and bring it back to the restaurant.  He still didn’t budge.  
Then, I ordered the lobster Murano which is cooked with bacon and I don’t eat pork. Since everyone else at the table ordered the same but with bacon, he refused to cook mine separately.  So, I just ordered the regular lobster tail.  The rest of the cruise was absolutely wonderful, as I noted in a post here on CC.  
No more than a week later, their social media monitor at Celebrity reached out to me to send him an email in which he made up for it on a future cruise by offering us a complimentary meal at Murano.  
I believe a laundry list of complaints takes on a life of its own on these sites. Recognizing the aspects of the cruise where everything was wonderful goes a long way as they know you will probably be returning whereas, it would probably be pointless to offer something to someone that says “never again”.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1