Just Returned: Inside Passage to Alaska on the Zaandam (Long Post)

Posted (edited)

I just returned my first cruise — roundtrip from Vancouver, sailing the Inside Passage to Alaska on the Zaandam from 7/10-7/17. We were two couples in our 50’s and this was the first cruise for all of us. It rained for almost the entire cruise, except for outside of Vancouver, but we still had a really great time! 

Cruise Critic was a great source of information while I was planning this cruise. I found first hand descriptions to be the most helpful because I am someone who likes to know what to expect!  This is a long post, but perhaps this detailed description of the pros/cons of my first cruise experience will be helpful to someone who is considering either their first cruise, cruising on the Zaandam for the first time or cruising the Inside Passage to Alaska. I’d also be happy to answer any questions if I can. Cheers! 

PROS:

We were terribly disappointed that we did not get to see much of the beautiful Alaskan scenery from the ship due to rain and dense fog, but you can’t control the weather. We treasured what we ended up with: one sort of decent day to explore the Tracy Arm Fjord and two beautiful sailing days in and out of Vancouver. The southbound route through the Inside Passage towards Vancouver was just spectacular. We could not stop taking photos. Whale spotting was so exciting — it was a magical way to end our cruise. Plus, our entire cruise route was smooth sailing — no seasickness. Whew! 

With an early morning return docking in Vancouver, we had the day to explore the lovely city on our own before our overnight flight home. Highly recommend checking out Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, as well as walking from Canada Place into Stanley Park. The warm weather and blue skies were a welcome change at that point and added to our appreciation of Vancouver! 

During the cruise, we made the best of the weather situation, explored every port in head-to-toe rain gear, did our excursions in the rain and kept moving forward. Our excursions were fantastic and one of the most memorable parts of the trip: the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer outside of Juneau; the White Pass Rail to the Scenic Summit in Skagway (with a return bike ride for my husband and our friends); and the Rain Forest Zipline in Ketchikan. 

Unfortunately, our Dog Sled Glacier Excursions were cancelled in both Juneau and Skagway due to poor weather. It took some effort to get past my disappointment, but I enjoyed our other excursions very much especially ziplining for the first time and exploring the Tracy Arm. 

During our Tracy Arm excursion, the crew on the catamaran insisted that the BEST way to see the Tracy Arm is when it is overcast and gray — so, there you go!  The views of the Twin Sawyer Glaciers were outstanding and we spotted harbor seals, an orca, a bald eagle and a bear cub. I highly recommend this excursion in any weather. Just eat a big breakfast because it takes 6 hours and there is no lunch on board. 

The Zaandam itself was the perfect size for us. Generally, it did not feel too crowded even after picking up additional passengers in Skagway. At times, the Lido Market or Crow’s Nest would feel a bit busy. And, there was a wait to get on the pickle ball court and to play ping pong. But, it was easy to find another spot if we wanted more space or a different vibe. The public spaces are wonderful, from the open Promenade Deck to the expansive views in the Crow’s Nest to the impressive World Stage to the relaxing Seaview Aft pool area to the quieter Explorer’s Lounge. We always found a great spot with something to do: walk around, explore, hang out, play cards, play shuffle board, take in a presentation, etc.

Our Vista Suite cabins with adjoining balconies were spacious and comfortable, and we loved having the balconies so we could quickly jump outside during any brief break in the rain. Quiet at night too. No complaints at all about the bedding, pillows or temperature control. Loved having complimentary room service so I could enjoy my coffee and a small bite in our cabin each morning. Our cabin stewards Zam & Andrew were outstanding as well. The pillow topper they added to the bed was so comfy! 

The Ocean Bar and Crow’s Nest bar were fun and we enjoyed live music and daily happy hours with half priced drinks. They ran trivia games often — we played once and enjoyed it. 

With one exception (below), we found the Zaandam’s passengers to be mellow, pleasant and friendly. We saw only a relatively small number of kids on board, which was fine with us.  

The crew is hard working and friendly, despite varying degrees of communication issues due to the language barrier. Unfortunately, we witnessed a passenger screaming in the face of a crew member during muster. The crew member handled himself wonderfully and so professionally, but it was horrible to see. 

Every crew member that we encountered made the extra effort to be helpful. HAL saved the day for us when we left our credit card on shore in Juneau after dinner at In Bocca Al Lupo (yummy!). They sent a member of their port staff to retrieve it from the restaurant just before we sailed. Shout out to Paula & the Guest Services team! 

CONS:

The weather in Alaska was the worst issue. No one’s fault, but we were rained on in every port and did not see blue skies for 5 days straight. We were completely socked in by fog in Glacier Bay, except for a miraculous clearing that began at Margerie Glacier and lasted until the fog completely engulfed the ship once again just past Reid Glacier. The fog horn blew continuously and the park ranger offered little narration because there was not much to see.

At times, the language barrier with the crew was also an issue on board, especially with the waiters and servers in the MDR. We were surprised that anything beyond just pointing to the menu to order resulted in confusion. 

The food on board, though plentiful, was hit or miss for us (but food is subjective so ymmv). There were many up-charges on the MDR dinner menu. And, a surprising number of promotions/sales pitches on board. We didn’t expect this, but maybe this is typical in cruising. We did not partake in the add-on services or up-charged dining, except for ordering the steak and lobster entree in the MDR (the lobster was “not good,” said my Boston-born husband). 

The evening shows at the World Stage seemed pretty cheesy to us, but again ymmv. And, the outdoor smoking section was too close to the Seaview pool so the smell of smoke drifted over and lingered during our limited outdoor time. 

There was no notice of the cancellation of my dog sled excursion in Skagway, so I disembarked and showed up ready to go! I had even checked just before disembarking. The Excursions Desk was closed and Guest Services did not know the excursion had already been cancelled — so they told me it was still on! No cancellation notice arrived through the Nav App, no voice message was left on our cabin phone, and no note was placed at the cabin door. Annoying, especially since I had to wait in a very long line in the rain just to get back on board. 

One other mishap occurred when room service showed up at 6:30am — 45 minutes before the time requested on our hang card.  We were still in bed, in a deep sleep. My husband saw the look on my face and left the cabin for a bit. 

HAL’s never-ending IT issues both before and during the cruise became extremely frustrating. Our $183.99 premium 4-device internet plan never worked inside the cabin and I finally gave up on reporting it. Fortunately, there were no work related emergencies, nor any other emergencies, that required attention during our cruise. 

I noticed a few beverage overcharges on our daily statements, but I think they’ve been sorted out. Strangely, I have not yet received a final statement from HAL. I’ll need to check on that. 

Finally, we were disappointed with our experience with our Personal Cruise Consultant at Holland America. Too many issues to recount here. Next time we will use a travel agent.

A NOTE ABOUT CLUB ORANGE:

Many of our Club Orange benefits seemed  to be forgotten once on board. I’m not sure if many passengers purchase CO on the Zaandam since there is no separate CO Dining Room. We only purchased it to save some money on a cabin upgrade, which worked out well. We may have been seated sooner in the MDR but I am not certain. In any event, I would skip purchasing CO on the Zaandam unless a cabin upgrade is a priority and is less expensive with CO.

Edited by Ileneilene123
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Ileneilene123 said:

HAL’s never-ending IT issues both before and during the cruise became extremely frustrating. Our $183.99 premium 4-device internet plan never worked inside the cabin and I finally gave up on reporting it. Fortunately, there were no work related emergencies, nor any other emergencies, that required attention during our cruise. 

I’m wondering if this is a Zaandam issue. We sailed the Zaandam last year on the Panama Canal passage. We were never able to get a good reception in our suite, even with a wi-fi repeater in the hall ceiling right outside our door. The reception was great everywhere on the ship except for our suite. Ship IT crew members even replaced the repeater outside our door but to no avail (both we and crew used a signal strength app to demonstrate the signal drop-off one inside the suite door). We didn’t notice any weak-signal problem on this year’s Westerdam cruise.

Edited by 2inSETexas
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, 2inSETexas said:

I’m wondering if this is a Zaandam issue. We sailed the Zaandam last year on the Panama Canal passage. We were never able to get a good reception in our suite, even with a wi-fi repeater in the hall ceiling right outside our door. The reception was great everywhere on the ship except for our suite. Ship IT crew members even replaced the repeater outside our door but to no avail (both we and crew used a signal strength app to demonstrate the signal drop-off one inside the suite door). We didn’t notice any weak-signal problem on this year’s Westerdam cruise.

Interesting. Perhaps it is a Zaandam issue. I wish that I would have known that there was an IT team on board. Guest Services just kept giving us instructions on how to properly log in. Obviously that was not the issue but it was like a broken record. No one mentioned an IT crew or testing the signal or checking/replacing the wifi repeater. Did HAL end up reimbursing you for your WiFi package? 

The internet on the Zaandam is excellent.  Except for in the cabins! The walls and especially the doors are made of heavier metal than most of the HAL ships. In did extensive testing on the Z. IF you open the door the signal strength is much better---not that you want to do that. I was able to stream video in the room and the balcony with an external Wi-Fi antenna...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It’s nice to hear you enjoyed your first cruise, and you chose one of my favourite ships for it. 
You obviously did your research pre-cruise and it paid off. I can’t speak to the IT issue except to say that we had a similar issue on the Volendam (sister ship) in Hawaii. We don’t buy a full wifi package, but did purchase it for one day, and I was glad we didn’t pay for more. The signal in our room (also a Vista) was very poor, to almost useless. 
It’s too bad about the weather in Alaska, but I’m glad you enjoyed Vancouver! We’ve had beautiful weather here for a few weeks, and it seems that when it is nice here, it is rainy on the Alaska cruises, and vice versa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Strangely, I have not yet received a final statement from HAL. I’ll need to check on that. 

Once the cruise has ended your 'final statement' is only available on Navigator.  No final statements are sent to staterooms any longer.

On Navigator App go to Account and then Statement.  It may take a few days to be there.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Once the cruise has ended your 'final statement' is only available on Navigator.  No final statements are sent to staterooms any longer.

On Navigator App go to Account and then Statement.  It may take a few days to be there.

You can find it online as well.  Go to "My Account" and you should see a "My Cruise History" tab.  Click on that and there's a link named "ONBOARD STATEMENT (PDF)" for each cruise you've taken (if you have more than one).  I can go all the way back to 2020 which was my first HAL cruise.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, LetItSnow said:

You can find it online as well.  Go to "My Account" and you should see a "My Cruise History" tab.  Click on that and there's a link named "ONBOARD STATEMENT (PDF)" for each cruise you've taken (if you have more than one).  I can go all the way back to 2020 which was my first HAL cruise.

That presumes that the website is actually functioning! Currently and for the past week I am receiving a #400 Bad Request error message.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

That presumes that the website is actually functioning! Currently and for the past week I am receiving a #400 Bad Request error message.

Based on other posts I’ve seen, try clearing your cache. Or try going in via Chrome.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ileneilene123 said:

I just returned my first cruise — roundtrip from Vancouver, sailing the Inside Passage to Alaska on the Zaandam from 7/10-7/17. We were two couples in our 50’s and this was the first cruise for all of us. It rained for almost the entire cruise, except for outside of Vancouver, but we still had a really great time! 

Cruise Critic was a great source of information while I was planning this cruise. I found first hand descriptions to be the most helpful because I am someone who likes to know what to expect!  This is a long post, but perhaps this detailed description of the pros/cons of my first cruise experience will be helpful to someone who is considering either their first cruise, cruising on the Zaandam for the first time or cruising the Inside Passage to Alaska. I’d also be happy to answer any questions if I can. Cheers! 

PROS:

We were terribly disappointed that we did not get to see much of the beautiful Alaskan scenery from the ship due to rain and dense fog, but you can’t control the weather. We treasured what we ended up with: one sort of decent day to explore the Tracy Arm Fjord and two beautiful sailing days in and out of Vancouver. The southbound route through the Inside Passage towards Vancouver was just spectacular. We could not stop taking photos. Whale spotting was so exciting — it was a magical way to end our cruise. Plus, our entire cruise route was smooth sailing — no seasickness. Whew! 

With an early morning return docking in Vancouver, we had the day to explore the lovely city on our own before our overnight flight home. Highly recommend checking out Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, as well as walking from Canada Place into Stanley Park. The warm weather and blue skies were a welcome change at that point and added to our appreciation of Vancouver! 

During the cruise, we made the best of the weather situation, explored every port in head-to-toe rain gear, did our excursions in the rain and kept moving forward. Our excursions were fantastic and one of the most memorable parts of the trip: the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer outside of Juneau; the White Pass Rail to the Scenic Summit in Skagway (with a return bike ride for my husband and our friends); and the Rain Forest Zipline in Ketchikan. 

Unfortunately, our Dog Sled Glacier Excursions were cancelled in both Juneau and Skagway due to poor weather. It took some effort to get past my disappointment, but I enjoyed our other excursions very much especially ziplining for the first time and exploring the Tracy Arm. 

During our Tracy Arm excursion, the crew on the catamaran insisted that the BEST way to see the Tracy Arm is when it is overcast and gray — so, there you go!  The views of the Twin Sawyer Glaciers were outstanding and we spotted harbor seals, an orca, a bald eagle and a bear cub. I highly recommend this excursion in any weather. Just eat a big breakfast because it takes 6 hours and there is no lunch on board. 

The Zaandam itself was the perfect size for us. Generally, it did not feel too crowded even after picking up additional passengers in Skagway. At times, the Lido Market or Crow’s Nest would feel a bit busy. And, there was a wait to get on the pickle ball court and to play ping pong. But, it was easy to find another spot if we wanted more space or a different vibe. The public spaces are wonderful, from the open Promenade Deck to the expansive views in the Crow’s Nest to the impressive World Stage to the relaxing Seaview Aft pool area to the quieter Explorer’s Lounge. We always found a great spot with something to do: walk around, explore, hang out, play cards, play shuffle board, take in a presentation, etc.

Our Vista Suite cabins with adjoining balconies were spacious and comfortable, and we loved having the balconies so we could quickly jump outside during any brief break in the rain. Quiet at night too. No complaints at all about the bedding, pillows or temperature control. Loved having complimentary room service so I could enjoy my coffee and a small bite in our cabin each morning. Our cabin stewards Zam & Andrew were outstanding as well. The pillow topper they added to the bed was so comfy! 

The Ocean Bar and Crow’s Nest bar were fun and we enjoyed live music and daily happy hours with half priced drinks. They ran trivia games often — we played once and enjoyed it. 

With one exception (below), we found the Zaandam’s passengers to be mellow, pleasant and friendly. We saw only a relatively small number of kids on board, which was fine with us.  

The crew is hard working and friendly, despite varying degrees of communication issues due to the language barrier. Unfortunately, we witnessed a passenger screaming in the face of a crew member during muster. The crew member handled himself wonderfully and so professionally, but it was horrible to see. 

Every crew member that we encountered made the extra effort to be helpful. HAL saved the day for us when we left our credit card on shore in Juneau after dinner at In Bocca Al Lupo (yummy!). They sent a member of their port staff to retrieve it from the restaurant just before we sailed. Shout out to Paula & the Guest Services team! 

CONS:

The weather in Alaska was the worst issue. No one’s fault, but we were rained on in every port and did not see blue skies for 5 days straight. We were completely socked in by fog in Glacier Bay, except for a miraculous clearing that began at Margerie Glacier and lasted until the fog completely engulfed the ship once again just past Reid Glacier. The fog horn blew continuously and the park ranger offered little narration because there was not much to see.

At times, the language barrier with the crew was also an issue on board, especially with the waiters and servers in the MDR. We were surprised that anything beyond just pointing to the menu to order resulted in confusion. 

The food on board, though plentiful, was hit or miss for us (but food is subjective so ymmv). There were many up-charges on the MDR dinner menu. And, a surprising number of promotions/sales pitches on board. We didn’t expect this, but maybe this is typical in cruising. We did not partake in the add-on services or up-charged dining, except for ordering the steak and lobster entree in the MDR (the lobster was “not good,” said my Boston-born husband). 

The evening shows at the World Stage seemed pretty cheesy to us, but again ymmv. And, the outdoor smoking section was too close to the Seaview pool so the smell of smoke drifted over and lingered during our limited outdoor time. 

There was no notice of the cancellation of my dog sled excursion in Skagway, so I disembarked and showed up ready to go! I had even checked just before disembarking. The Excursions Desk was closed and Guest Services did not know the excursion had already been cancelled — so they told me it was still on! No cancellation notice arrived through the Nav App, no voice message was left on our cabin phone, and no note was placed at the cabin door. Annoying, especially since I had to wait in a very long line in the rain just to get back on board. 

One other mishap occurred when room service showed up at 6:30am — 45 minutes before the time requested on our hang card.  We were still in bed, in a deep sleep. My husband saw the look on my face and left the cabin for a bit. 

I noticed a few beverage overcharges on our daily statements, but I think they’ve been sorted out. Strangely, I have not yet received a final statement from HAL. I’ll need to check on that. 

Finally, we were disappointed with our experience with our Personal Cruise Consultant at Holland America. Too many issues to recount here. Next time we will use a travel agent.

A NOTE ABOUT CLUB ORANGE:

Many of our Club Orange benefits seemed  to be forgotten once on board. I’m not sure if many passengers purchase CO on the Zaandam since there is no separate CO Dining Room. We only purchased it to save some money on a cabin upgrade, which worked out well. We may have been seated sooner in the MDR but I am not certain. In any event, I would skip purchasing CO on the Zaandam unless a cabin upgrade is a priority and is less expensive with CO.

Great, detailed review! Glad you had a great time overall!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mosaic said:

The internet on the Zaandam is excellent.  Except for in the cabins! The walls and especially the doors are made of heavier metal than most of the HAL ships. In did extensive testing on the Z. IF you open the door the signal strength is much better---not that you want to do that. I was able to stream video in the room and the balcony with an external Wi-Fi antenna...

Could you post more details on the external antenna you used (a link if you have one would be appreciated)?

1 hour ago, KruisinKath said:

Based on other posts I’ve seen, try clearing your cache. Or try going in via Chrome.

Already using Chrome, but remembered to open an Incognito window and it worked!

👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Interesting. Perhaps it is a Zaandam issue. I wish that I would have known that there was an IT team on board. Guest Services just kept giving us instructions on how to properly log in. Obviously that was not the issue but it was like a broken record. No one mentioned an IT crew or testing the signal or checking/replacing the wifi repeater. Did HAL end up reimbursing you for your WiFi package? 

We were in a Neptune Suite. The Neptune concierge (aka Guest Services for Neptune Suites) notified whomever was responsible for the WiFi service. It was this team that checked the signal in our stateroom and then replaced the repeater that was right outside our door. As mentioned above by @Mosaic, the WiFi throughout the ship was excellent, except in our stateroom. I don’t recall if we received any kind of refund. We just worked with what we had and where it worked best.

Enjoyed your review. Thanks.

• Like 2

Agree that the Zaandam's internet connectivity is particularly bad. 3 of my 5 last cruises have been on Zaandam, and it's always been extremely slow to connect to the internet, taking several minutes for the wifi to work, regardless of my location onboard. I've gotten used to it at this point that I didn't realize just how slow it was until I sailed Rotterdam last month, where connecting to the wifi was almost instantaneous. I think this is likely due to the age of the Zaandam and her infrastructure; the pitfalls of installing an internet system on a ship that never was built for that purpose. 

You mentioned issues with the future cruise consultant. Do you remember their name, and could you elaborate on what happened?

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 12:57 PM, Ileneilene123 said:

At times, the language barrier with the crew was also an issue on board, especially with the waiters and servers in the MDR.

When I have this issue, I remind myself that the issue is my lack of knowing the Indonesian language and I realize their English is better than my Indonesian.

Great review.  Thanks for passing along the experience......

• Like 5

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

When I have this issue, I remind myself that the issue is my lack of knowing the Indonesian language and I realize their English is better than my Indonesian.

This! I'm not bilingual and French class in junior high was brutal for me lol. I applaud the crew willing to learn a new language and travel far from family to make a living. And thank you OP for the review,  looking at a Zaandam AK cruise for next summer.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 2:05 PM, VMax1700 said:

Yes, I did check the Navigator yesterday. The first “final statement” that was added did not run through the entire length of the cruise. That was a mistake, I’m sure.

I checked again today and it was replaced with a final statement through the end of the cruise. However, when I click on it to open, it opens but then closes right back up again with a message that it’s unavailable. Strange. 

Edited by Ileneilene123

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 3:01 PM, LetItSnow said:

Unfortunately, the online site will not allow me to open my account to access my statement. Eveything else is working for me on the site. 🤔 

Edited by Ileneilene123

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Infi said:

You mentioned issues with the future cruise consultant. Do you remember their name, and could you elaborate on what happened?

Yes, I decided to work with her after she told me she had been working as a PCC for HAL for ten years. However, this just didn’t add up. Though she was very nice, pleasant and kind, her mistakes included:

Not knowing that the Club Orange cabin upgrade is to the highest available cabin in the entire meta cabin category, not just one level up. I had to insist on this several times. 

Not knowing that exterior balcony doors can be unlocked and opened between adjoining cabins even if the rooms are not connected by interior doors. I checked on CC for the correct info. 

Not knowing of HAL’s new policy of potentially moving a couple into a smaller cabin if family needs their cabin with 3 or 4 beds. (She had booked us into a 4 person cabin so I was nervous). 

Telling us that a picnic lunch would be provided on the Tracy Arm excursion when there is actually no lunch provided or available for purchase. Again, I needed to double check here. 

Not returning several phone calls and emails from my friends who had requested assistance to receive the HAL educator $100 OBC. By the time she got back to them, it was too late. They had also booked directly with her and insisted she try despite missing the deadline. Ultimately they received $50. After this incident, they looked her up on LinkedIn. Turns out she had been with HAL for about 2 months when we booked with her, not 10 years. I felt lied to. 

There were probably more small mistakes that I can’t recall. I need to give some thought as to whether I want to name her here and/or if I want to address this directly with HAL. 

Edited by Ileneilene123
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Yes, I decided to work with her after she told me she had been working as a PCC for HAL for ten years. However, this just didn’t add up. Though she was very nice, pleasant and kind, her mistakes included:

Not knowing that the Club Orange cabin upgrade is to the highest available cabin in the entire meta cabin category, not just one level up. I had to insist on this several times. 

Not knowing that exterior balcony doors can be unlocked and opened between adjoining cabins even if the rooms are not connected by interior doors. I checked on CC for the correct info. 

Not knowing of HAL’s new policy of potentially moving a couple into a smaller cabin if family needs their cabin with 3 or 4 beds. (She had booked us into a 4 person cabin so I was nervous). 

Telling us that a picnic lunch would be provided on the Tracy Arm excursion when there is actually no lunch provided or available for purchase. Again, I needed to double check here. 

Not returning several phone calls and emails from my friends who had requested assistance to receive the HAL educator $100 OBC. By the time she got back to them, it was too late. They had also booked directly with her and insisted she try despite missing the deadline. Ultimately they received $50. After this incident, they looked her up on LinkedIn. Turns out she had been with HAL for about 2 months when we booked with her, not 10 years. I felt lied to. 

There were probably more small mistakes that I can’t recall. I need to give some thought as to whether I want to name her here and/or if I want to address this directly with HAL. 

Address this with HAL. Not here.

• Like 1