Opted out of EZ Air and some questions

sadiwest

Posted (edited)

I literally couldn't help myself.   Getting antsy I searched flights (I'm about 8 days away from being able to book.a return flight based on all the airline calendars I'm seeing).

OMG I found a nonstop from East Coast to Vancouver.  I had to book it.  Literally hate flying (fear) so this was the best option...booked to arrive two days prior. Well, the evening of the 12th for a 14th departure anyway. 

So now I wait for return flights.  To boot, PayPal credit gives 6 months no interest but I hope to pay it off within a month (let's go bonus@).  Having removed the stresses mostly from the on time arrival and instant payment, I am comfortable with it.

But my questions...

Can we book a hotel through Princess for the two nights prior? Would it be at all beneficial?  Can we get a better arrangement on our own?  

Is there only one hotel from where we can get Princess transfers to the ship?..or multiple options? 

For the trip home, is there a recommendation for the absolute earliest one should book a flight out of Fairbanks?   On a tour with the land potion ending there, and I genuinely don't care if our flight is late in the day/redeye, because I would stress if we has to rush. 

TIA

Sandi 

Edited by sadiwest

You have multiple questions here.  You seem like a planner and looking ahead at options.

√ You currently have a direct booking with an airline flight to Vancouver.  Good start.  You need to watch that booking to see if there are any changes.  You might want to set up notifications with the airline.

You can book a Princess hotel in Vancouver but that can be expensive.  It is per person not per room.  Do you want to stay in Vancouver proper?  The transfers from the airport only happen day of cruise.  

• You could stay near the airport and sky train it into Vancouver every day (not recommended).

• You could taxi into Vancouver and stay at a local hotel.  It is about $40 per cab ride flat rate.

• Hotels in Vancouver during cruise season is expensive.  The earlier you book, the better the rates.  Look into loyalty hotel programs for specials.

• For me...peace of mind and convenience...I would stay at the Pan Pacific at Canada Place (cruise terminal).  There are main stream hotels and off the beaten path ones.  Do your research.

• There is a free walking tour of the city.  Google "Free Walking Tours"

As far as your return flight.  I would advise a Princess transfer to Anchorage.  Most flights are before suggested times.  It seems as though all others are red eyes to the East Coast.  You can do a tour on the way to the airport to kill some time.

Are you working with a Travel Agent?  They might be able to ease some of your nervousness.

Glad you have your feet wet.  Good luck with the rest of your planning.  Sometimes....this can be the fun part.

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

As far as your return flight.  I would advise a Princess transfer to Anchorage.  Most flights are before suggested times.  It seems as though all others are red eyes to the East Coast.  You can do a tour on the way to the airport to kill some time.

Are you working with a Travel Agent?  They might be able to ease some of your nervousness.

Glad you have your feet wet.  Good luck with the rest of your planning.  Sometimes....this can be the fun part.

I am not a travel agent but I play one. Lol. Nope...I'm the planner and everyone else just shows up.

Ok so when you say transfer to Anchorage, is that bus or train?  Where is the benefit of doing that over flying out of Fairbanks?  All the flights I looked at were not THE date we need, but seem to be in the PM. Well...not all but some. I'd say more than half all ended up making the same connection in Seattle I think. 

I do need to check when the actual flights are published...but this is from what I saw.

I did she'll out extra $$ to make it "refundable " because I'm a sucker for being covered in every way possible from travel insurance to that extra $.   Had to cancel too many trips not to.  Will still check out EZ Air in case I'm lucky enough to find the same exact nonstop through Princess. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sadiwest said:

Can we book a hotel through Princess for the two nights prior? Would it be at all beneficial?  Can we get a better arrangement on our own?  

Is there only one hotel from where we can get Princess transfers to the ship?..or multiple options? 

For the trip home, is there a recommendation for the absolute earliest one should book a flight out of Fairbanks?   On a tour with the land potion ending there, and I genuinely don't care if our flight is late in the day/redeye, because I would stress if we has to rush. 

1. Better to book a hotel on your own

2. uber or taxi to port. 

3. Estimate noon but not familiar with Fairbanks. Eventually you can see what EZAIR recommends and then change if concerned

But if you're concerned about getting to the port then research which hotels they use on Princess.com book 1 and see if they'll pay for the shuttle. It'll cost more for the same thing and be less convenient,  but it'll be Princess all the way

(FWIW I wouldn't)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

Recommendations still valid...I did not comprehend the cruise tour.  It sounds like you are doing the cruise first (Vancouver to Whittier) then going on the land portion.  Where will it end (Fairbanks?).

Have you considered staying one night at your end location and catching an early morning flight out?

I "play" travel agent too.  Sometimes it is nice that someone else does the work.  But it does mean "losing control"...haha...I'm working on that.  

Next trip is with someone who plans more than me.  It is soooooo nice to sit back and just have input.

• Like 2

We took Skytrain from the airport into Vancouver and stayed at a hotel downtown.  From there it was a very easy walk (or probably a cheap taxi ride) to the port.  No need for transfers.

You can probably get a better deal on your own for hotels. We booked ours, then rebooked a few times as prices dropped.  Generally booking earlier is better, though.  (Note:  Vancouver hotels are very expensive.)

• Like 1

Look at the Princess packages. We have been lucky in the past last time on the old Pacific Princess we flew direct to Vancouver (EZair) from Boston two days early with transfer. Princess met us at baggage put us in a taxi (they paid) and we went to a hotel directly across from the pier. After the cruise they took us to the airport. The cost was close to what we would have paid out of pocket and we had it all included in our final payment with Princess handling everything.

We have used them since but that was our last Alaska cruise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Recommendations still valid...I did not comprehend the cruise tour.  It sounds like you are doing the cruise first (Vancouver to Whittier) then going on the land portion.  Where will it end (Fairbanks?).

Have you considered staying one night at your end location and catching an early morning flight out?

Sorry yes that's exactly correct.   I did think of that as an option.  Probably end up doing it as a next day departure if there are morning flights. Much of what I saw for the wrong dates was evening (but again not the correct dates). 

12 hours ago, sadiwest said:

I literally couldn't help myself.   Getting antsy I searched flights (I'm about 8 days away from being able to book.a return flight based on all the airline calendars I'm seeing).

OMG I found a nonstop from East Coast to Vancouver.  I had to book it.  Literally hate flying (fear) so this was the best option...booked to arrive two days prior. Well, the evening of the 12th for a 14th departure anyway. 

So now I wait for return flights.  To boot, PayPal credit gives 6 months no interest but I hope to pay it off within a month (let's go bonus@).  Having removed the stresses mostly from the on time arrival and instant payment, I am comfortable with it.

But my questions...

TIA

Sandi 

My wife and I are flying to London for our cruise and chose E-Z Air.  Our TA, at the same time, booked us 2 nights prior to our embarkation at the designated Princess Hotel in London for my cruise.  This reservation included transfer from the airport to the hotel, transfer from the hotel to the ship in Southampton, and transfer back to the airport after our cruise.

This was all arranged through Princess by our TA.  I suggest to talk to your TA about making the same arrangements for your Alaskan cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

My wife and I are flying to London for our cruise and chose E-Z Air.  Our TA, at the same time, booked us 2 nights prior to our embarkation at the designated Princess Hotel in London for my cruise.  This reservation included transfer from the airport to the hotel, transfer from the hotel to the ship in Southampton, and transfer back to the airport after our cruise.

This was all arranged through Princess by our TA.  I suggest to talk to your TA about making the same arrangements for your Alaskan cruise.

I actually have booked cruise hotels in London due to the distance from the airport and to the port.

I have always booked independently in Vancouver as the airport is not far away and the pier is in downtown Vancouver. 

Considering the costs in London for transportation (unless you take a bus or underground with luggage) and distance, I find the hotel through the cruise line a decent value. I do not find it a decent value in Vancouver. 

One has to decide for each port what is best for them. For some, money is not an issue.

What hotel are you staying at in London?

Edited by Coral

Keep in mind that the Princess hotel is per person but does include the transfer from the airport to the hotel to the ship with all luggage handling done by Princess. 

Vancouver is a lovely walkable city.  There are so many hotels in the vicinity of Canada Place.  Some are very expensive, some are reasonable.  Price and availability will depend on time of year and how many ships will be in port.  

I have stayed at the Marriott/Stanley Park, The Pan Pacific, The Sheraton Wall (twice), a random Best Western, and the Pacific Hotel.  Look at a city map and read lots of reviews.  There are only a few areas that are sketchy.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sadiwest said:

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

As far as your return flight.  I would advise a Princess transfer to Anchorage.  Most flights are before suggested times.  

I'm not sure why you'd want to get a Princess transfer back to Anchorage when your Cruisetour ends in Fairbanks, or if you even could get a transfer back there.  That's a 6 hour drive at least.  I'd just fly home from Fairbanks.  We just did a 15 day Alaska cruisetour a few weeks ago and found the Fairbanks airport quite adequate.  Unless there just aren't any flight options that work with your schedule.  It just seems like another unnecessary logistic step.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Keep in mind that the Princess hotel is per person but does include the transfer from the airport to the hotel to the ship with all luggage handling done by Princess. 

Vancouver is a lovely walkable city.  There are so many hotels in the vicinity of Canada Place.  Some are very expensive, some are reasonable.  Price and availability will depend on time of year and how many ships will be in port.  

I have stayed at the Marriott/Stanley Park, The Pan Pacific, The Sheraton Wall (twice), a random Best Western, and the Pacific Hotel.  Look at a city map and read lots of reviews.  There are only a few areas that are sketchy.  

Is Pan Pacific literally right there?  Also...is there any good reason not to use Expedia for hotels if the booking is 100% refundable til 48 hrs prior and we have trip insurance?  

Expedia was a fraction of the cost booking directly through the hotel. If it's legit a 1 minute walk as the website suggests, (to the terminal) I can't think of a reason not to reserve it.

I'm not opposed to taxis from the airport if the hotel itself doesn't offer airport shuttle.  

1 minute ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I'm not sure why you'd want to get a Princess transfer back to Anchorage when your Cruisetour ends in Fairbanks, or if you even could get a transfer back there.  That's a 6 hour drive at least.  I'd just fly home from Fairbanks.  We just did a 15 day Alaska cruisetour a few weeks ago and found the Fairbanks airport quite adequate.  Unless there just aren't any flight options that work with your schedule.  It just seems like another unnecessary logistic step.  

OP corrected my misdirection and I did follow up with a modification.  See my post #5

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

OP corrected my misdirection and I did follow up with a modification.  See my post #5

I did see that edited suggestion and definitely a consideration if I cannot find a good option for the departure day of.  

I only book directly with a hotel (do not use brokers).  It is one rate on a taxi from the airport to anywhere the city.  

Yes, the Pan Pacific is housed at Canada Place.  The Bell desk provides luggage pick up service from your hotel room directly to the ship for a small fee.  I would do this again in a heartbeat.  Of course, it will be more expensive than any other hotel.  If you join their loyalty program, you might be able to get a discount.

I have used the train in my younger years. 

Thank you for acknowledging my correction.  My post was for @Paula_MacFan

If you would like to contact me directly...please email me at:

princess(insert user name) AT gmail dot com

I don't visit that mailbox often but will get back to you. Just let me know when you sent an email here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I did see your post but it seemed you were asking where it would end.  The OP said in the original post they were ending their tour in Fairbanks.  

15 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

Is Pan Pacific literally right there?  Also...is there any good reason not to use Expedia for hotels if the booking is 100% refundable til 48 hrs prior and we have trip insurance?  

Expedia was a fraction of the cost booking directly through the hotel. If it's legit a 1 minute walk as the website suggests, (to the terminal) I can't think of a reason not to reserve it.

I'm not opposed to taxis from the airport if the hotel itself doesn't offer airport shuttle.  

Yes - the pier and Pan Pacific are attached. For a tip, the room steward will take you luggage to the ship.

There is a Fairmont Waterfront hotel across the street.

There are a ton of great hotels very close to the pier in Vancouver. Many are walkable but with luggage I would call a taxi.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I only book directly with a hotel (do not use brokers).  It is one rate on a taxi from the airport to anywhere the city.  

Yes, the Pan Pacific is housed at Canada Place.  The Bell desk provides luggage pick up service from your hotel room directly to the ship for a small fee.  I would do this again in a heartbeat.  Of course, it will be more expensive than any other hotel.  If you join their loyalty program, you might be able to get a discount.

I have used the train in my younger years. 

Email sent.

• Like 1

I would book my own hotel in Vancouver.  It will be less expensive (or better! depending on which way you go with it), and you can stay where you want.  As others have noted, the pier is nearby, and an Uber or taxi will be easier, cheaper and on your own time as opposed to the Princess transfer.  

My only other comment, and I'm sure this has happened to you as well, is that the earlier you book your flights, the more times they seem to change the flight times.  I'm not sure what to do with that other than to be prepared to deal with it.

Assuming I am reading right, OP is flying in to Vancouver a couple of days early for cruisetour ending in Fairbanks.

In Vancouver we either rent a car at airport or use public transportation.  The Canada Line train goes from the airport to Waterfront Station (1 1/2 blocks from port) every 7 minutes.  Just tag on and off with a touch credit card.  We typically stay at Pan Pacific (at the port) or Fairmont Waterfront across the street.  These are expensive, but the bellhops will take your luggage down to the port on embarkation morning.  Do NOT book a hotel through the cruise line.  It will cost double the rack rate.  Have stayed at several other hotels - see the west coast departures board for recommendations.  Lots of food and tour options in downtown.  HOHO and Capilano bridge both leave from in front of the Pan Pacific.

We were in Pan Pacific last week and got a super rate on one of the booking sites.  Roughly half of current rack rate (but still over $700cn/night).  Book any way you want, including checking the hotel's web site.

Most people walk to the ship (at least 25 hotels within 7 blocks).  A few take cabs.  A lot with take the metro.

Fairbanks flights mostly are overnight, especially direct ones.  Ours flew down to Anchorage and we almost didn't get out because of fog.  Most likely your last tour event will be a visit to the dredge or the riverboat.  Probably the cruisetour will include that night at a hotel, so earliest you would leave is next morning.  Recommend looking at flights on EZ-Air now, although actual flights won't be posted by airlines until 330 days before the flight.  Booking EZ-Air has no commitment of funds until final payment so if you find a better flight on your own you can cancel at any time (or reselect a new flight at a lower price).  Recommend renting a car in Fairbanks and driving around.  Santa Claus is a few miles east, the pipeline is a bit north (or go as far on the pipeline highway as you want to drive), and a pretty neat hot spring  1 1/2 hours east of town.  If military you can get on the base.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeeW said:

Assuming I am reading right, OP is flying in to Vancouver a couple of days early for cruisetour ending in Fairbanks.

In Vancouver we either rent a car at airport or use public transportation.  The Canada Line train goes from the airport to Waterfront Station (1 1/2 blocks from port) every 7 minutes.  Just tag on and off with a touch credit card.  We typically stay at Pan Pacific (at the port) or Fairmont Waterfront across the street.  These are expensive, but the bellhops will take your luggage down to the port on embarkation morning.  Do NOT book a hotel through the cruise line.  It will cost double the rack rate.  Have stayed at several other hotels - see the west coast departures board for recommendations.  Lots of food and tour options in downtown.  HOHO and Capilano bridge both leave from in front of the Pan Pacific.

We were in Pan Pacific last week and got a super rate on one of the booking sites.  Roughly half of current rack rate (but still over $700cn/night).  Book any way you want, including checking the hotel's web site.

Most people walk to the ship (at least 25 hotels within 7 blocks).  A few take cabs.  A lot with take the metro.

Fairbanks flights mostly are overnight, especially direct ones.  Ours flew down to Anchorage and we almost didn't get out because of fog.  Most likely your last tour event will be a visit to the dredge or the riverboat.  Probably the cruisetour will include that night at a hotel, so earliest you would leave is next morning.  Recommend looking at flights on EZ-Air now, although actual flights won't be posted by airlines until 330 days before the flight.  Booking EZ-Air has no commitment of funds until final payment so if you find a better flight on your own you can cancel at any time (or reselect a new flight at a lower price).  Recommend renting a car in Fairbanks and driving around.  Santa Claus is a few miles east, the pipeline is a bit north (or go as far on the pipeline highway as you want to drive), and a pretty neat hot spring  1 1/2 hours east of town.  If military you can get on the base.

That...was a lot of very good information.  Ty

I booked through Expedia for now and it was under $700 (before taxes and fees) but hotel's site was I think $800 for the same room. Then times the two nights.

I'm not planning any Vancouver activities as of now. For the one day prior (we arrive 9pm local time after flying out at 6pm Eastern time). I imagine we'll be exhausted so we'll play that by ear. 

I don't think the tour ends with a hotel in Fairbanks * after * our land days but I'll check. I have no issues flying out same night, especially if nearly all flights are redeye.  Might as well save the money and day by leaving late same day.  Can always take an additional day at home to wind down. Lol

EZ AIr will open 330 days from your DISembarkation date.  You can do a one way fare (return only).  You have up to 45 days before cruise to cancel EZ Air.  Generally, flights to Vancouver via EZ Air are not significantly cheaper.

More often than not, you will see Air Canada.  They are famous for changing dates/times/cancelling.  You will also need to pay for a seat unless you wait until 24 hour check in time.  

Make sure your passport has 6 months left from date of disembarkation.

• Like 1

We always stay at the Fairmont Waterfront right across the street from the port.  You can actually drop off your luggage in the morning with the Bell desk and they will deliver your luggage to the ship for you and you can walk across the street when you are ready to embark without having to schlep luggage.   

We also took the SkyTrain to from the airport to downtown and the underground train station (the last stop) had a route that took you right under the hotel and it was an easy walk to the check in desk.  

• Like 1

If you are ending in Fairbanks, it is a small city and small airport.  Very easy to navigate both.  Their restaurants stay open very late due to how many flights come in late from the East Coast.  I flew in at 1:40 am last year and many things were still open.  I would not worry about taking a same day flight home because it's so small.  There are also some fun things do to there like Santa's workshop at North Pole, AK, and the museum at the University.  We took a flight and bus ride to the Arctic Circle which was long but very fun.