Why are MSCs itineraries in the US so boring?

kad56

I just went on an MSC Western Carribean cruise on the Magnifica, cruise was good, but I didn't love the ship, so I'm looking for something on a newer ship. The options are really limited - yes the Divina has some cool sailings but it's an older ship, and there's not a lot of sailings. The departures out of Port Canaveral all go to the Western Carribean, Galveston is going to go to the western Caribbean, and half of the Sea-class ship departure out of Miami go to the Western Carribean. The Mera out of NYC goes to some really boring ports.... there's exceptions, but they either don't work out timewise, or I don't like the ship. What is going on with this focus on the Western Carib? Seems like they would get more interest if they at least did 50/50 Eastern and Western. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, kad56 said:

I just went on an MSC Western Carribean cruise on the Magnifica, cruise was good, but I didn't love the ship, so I'm looking for something on a newer ship. The options are really limited - yes the Divina has some cool sailings but it's an older ship, and there's not a lot of sailings. The departures out of Port Canaveral all go to the Western Carribean, Galveston is going to go to the western Caribbean, and half of the Sea-class ship departure out of Miami go to the Western Carribean. The Mera out of NYC goes to some really boring ports.... there's exceptions, but they either don't work out timewise, or I don't like the ship. What is going on with this focus on the Western Carib? Seems like they would get more interest if they at least did 50/50 Eastern and Western. 

World America is going back and forth between eastern and Western, even offering 14 day back to backs

You can definitely find some more interesting itineraries if you look.... I can't deny that. But the vast majority of the US itineraries go to the same places. I'm actually wondering if there's a business reason behind it (like it's easier to get into those western ports)

I agree that you definitely have to hunt around for the interesting itineraries and they won't always work date-wise unless you can be pretty flexible. The interesting itineraries I have been able to do on MSC so far were the repositioning cruise of the Meraviglia from Port Canaveral to NYC when it moved there; a 10-day Canada & New England on the Meraviglia; a 10-day on the Meraviglia out of NYC that went to the Western Caribbean; an 11-day on the Divina that went to the ABCs, Columbia, and Panama; and an upcoming 10-day on the Meraviglia out of NYC that goes to St. Thomas, San Juan, St. Maarten, and Puerto Rico. Unfortunately, the Sea-class ships and the World America are slated to do the usual, boring Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries for the foreseeable future and the Meraviglia is no longer doing any CA & NE sailings.

The Virtuosa was doing some interesting itineraries this coming winter, but you have to be able to get to Guadalupe, Martinique, or Barbados to embark/disembark on those and airfare is quite outrageous.

I agree that it would be nice to have some longer and more interesting itineraries on the newer ships, but it seems that MSC is mostly trying to market to the masses with their newer ships and short itineraries.

• Like 1

I think there's some great itineraries on the Divina this winter. I usually sail for the port more than for the ships, but my experience on the Magnifica was very meh, so now I'm cautious about going on a slightly older ship.

4 minutes ago, kad56 said:

I think there's some great itineraries on the Divina this winter. I usually sail for the port more than for the ships, but my experience on the Magnifica was very meh, so now I'm cautious about going on a slightly older ship.

I will say that one BIG difference between the Divina and the Magnifica is that the Divina staterooms have shower doors instead of curtains! I refuse to sail on ships with shower curtains unless there is a full-sized bath tub.

• Haha 1

Ooh, how did you find the service on the Divina? I heard the service is better on Sea class ships, so that's affecting my thinking as well.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, kad56 said:

Ooh, how did you find the service on the Divina? I heard the service is better on Sea class ships, so that's affecting my thinking as well.

Our sailing on the Divina this past February was one of my favorite cruises I have ever taken on any line (I have cruised 24 times so far on NCL, Celebrity, Princess, and MSC). The service was EXCELLENT and we actually loved the ship itself! I posted a Live Blog about the sailing if you want to skim that for some info/pictures. You can skip to page 5 if you don't want to bother with all the pre-cruise planning, packing, and travel:

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Thanks 1

99 percent of my cruising is out of NYC so indeed we are limited. it becomes more about the ships. i started off on NCL..then princess and royal..now MSC. thats what makes it more interesting. and YC is the best bargain suite experience out there so ill be satisfied for a little while still going to just boring ole bermuda. sigh. it's a tortured existence but someone gotta do it.

• Like 1

Just look at the prices of the few unique Divina sailings and they are still pretty well sold.  I'd think MSC would take note but it seems they still don't have much interest in filling the demand for longer, more diverse itineraries. 

I did not realize Mera is no longer going north-bound cruises!

I tend to cruise for the ship more than for the ports but mostly because most ports I've visited so many times and there isn't much to do other than the beaches/bars. I would love to see the kind of variety in NYC that Florida enjoys but part of it the geography.

The 3, 4 & 7 day itineraries seem to be the most popular with the average cruiser. That limits the number of ports that can be reached in those timeframes. In addition, docking space available in those ports affects where & when they are able to dock. MSC also includes Ocean Cay on most itineraries, which limits the additional ports they can visit in the timeframe of the 3, 4 & 7 day cruises.

There have been longer itineraries in the past, but there don’t seem to be as many now. Divina offered 12 day itineraries in recent years that included Jamaica, Aruba, Cartagena (Colombia), Colon (Panama), Puerto Limon (Costa Rica) and sometimes Costa Maya (Mexico). My guess would be that there was not enough demand and they made a financial decision to go to shorter itineraries. Hopefully they will offer longer itineraries in the future when the additional ships arrive for US cruises. 

I highly recommend the Grand Voyages (repositioning cruises), if you are able to take cruises of 16 - 24 days, or longer. They offer ports that are usually not visited by MSC from the US - Tortola, St Maarten, Martinique, Barbados, Antigua, etc. in addition to European / Mediterranean ports.

I honestly miss my home, my routine and my pets after day 6.. that's just me. I would think that for those shorter cruises, it would almost be nicer to sail to one port and spend more than a day - like the Bermuda itinerary does it. 

6 hours ago, kad56 said:

I have sailed 32 days on the Divina and it is one of our most favorite ships. The cruise is the best crew I have ever met. The ship is immaculate and the food was great. I would sail on her again in a heartbeat but hate sailing out of Miami.

In my honest opinion, there is no itinerary in the Caribbean that is not boring. Once you've been to one port you have been to them all, mostly dumps. Caribbean cruises are for a warm winter break and a nice ship, not the ports. Mediterranean cruises are for the ports. Again, my opinion. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I have sailed 32 days on the Divina and it is one of our most favorite ships. The cruise is the best crew I have ever met. The ship is immaculate and the food was great. I would sail on her again in a heartbeat but hate sailing out of Miami.

Interesting. Have you sailed any other MSC ships? How does the Divine compare? I remember the ship was a big deal years ago when she first sailed in the US.

28 minutes ago, mvh said:

In my honest opinion, there is no itinerary in the Caribbean that is not boring. Once you've been to one port you have been to them all, mostly dumps. Caribbean cruises are for a warm winter break and a nice ship, not the ports. Mediterranean cruises are for the ports. Again, my opinion. 

What?!?! St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Curacao, Antigua, Barbados, Cartegena??!?! You think those ports are "dumps"?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

What?!?! St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Curacao, Antigua, Barbados, Cartegena??!?! You think those ports are "dumps"?

Never been to Cartegena, so can't say. St. Maarten, St Thomas and Antiqua all suck in my opinion. Curacao and Barbados are ok, but again, They are all the same boring stops. I don't need my hair braided. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

+ Cozumel, Puerto Rico, Honduras.

All great ports. Wonderful things to do, safe to walk around and explore. 

• Like 2

I definitely have places I live in the Caribbean - Puerto Rico, St John, Bonaire, Cartagena, Roatan, Martinique. Mind you, being in port does limit my ability to explore farther afield but there's plenty I still want to explore. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

The Virtuosa was doing some interesting itineraries this coming winter, but you have to be able to get to Guadalupe, Martinique, or Barbados to embark/disembark on those and airfare is quite outrageous.

^THIS. If you're tired of the same old ports, do this southern Caribbean sailing from Guadalupe, Martinique, or Barbados. (It's the same sailing but you can originate and end in any of those ports.) It goes to places like Grenada and St. Vincent that you can't get to on cruises that originate in Florida. When we did it a few years ago on MSC Preziosa from Fort-de-France, it also stopped in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad. The ship sails mostly with Europeans and all the ship announcements are in 6 languages. I highly recommend it but airfares from the U.S. are a bit scary.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kad56 said:

they have to take whatever dock space is left. The established mainstream lines probably have first dibs. Just a guess

5 hours ago, kad56 said:

I definitely have places I live in the Caribbean - Puerto Rico, St John, Bonaire, Cartagena, Roatan, Martinique. Mind you, being in port does limit my ability to explore farther afield but there's plenty I still want to explore. 

do you have houses on all those islands?