Afternoon tea7, (as in high tea.)

dml

"High tea" is just the opposite of "high" as you might think of it ...  "High" tea was often consumed on bar stools (hence "high") on the way home from work - an early supper if you will.  I assume you just mean "afternoon tea"?

Here's a thread:

• Like 2

Ah, and there's always afternoon tea in the retreat lounge, but I've come to understand here at CC that it's usually not quite as nice as it can be on the older ships.

• Like 2

I haven't seen afternoon tea offered in the dining rooms on any of my post-pandemic cruises.  The buffet area has snacks around 3:30 pm, and sometimes scones are offered, but it is not special.  It is nothing like Cunard's afternoon tea, with white glove service and live music.  

• Like 2

Retreat afternoon tea is quite nice…unfortunately at the time it is served I am usually recovering from an excursion or waking up after a siesta…

• Like 1

X used to offer a  nice tea towards the end of the cruise in a Specialty dining rm ( often Tuscan) for Cap Club Elite.

Plated tea "sams" ,  petit pastry.. and served tea.  It was very nice but not at the most convenient time.  Not at all elaborate as the afternoon event on Cunard!

Not sure what is offered in E Class ships...

1 hour ago, hcat said:

X used to offer a  nice tea towards the end of the cruise in a Specialty dining rm ( often Tuscan) for Cap Club Elite.

Plated tea "sams" ,  petit pastry.. and served tea.  It was very nice but not at the most convenient time.  Not at all elaborate as the afternoon event on Cunard!

Not sure what is offered in E Class ships...

I also remember when butlers used to come around with the afternoon tea trolley at 4.30pm. It was nice to have a light bite and a hot cup of tea with lemon…It was also a great time for the butler to ‘touch base’ with guests checking everything was going OK.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, canderson said:

"High tea" is just the opposite of "high" as you might think of it ...  "High" tea was often consumed on bar stools (hence "high") on the way home from work - an early supper if you will.  I assume you just mean "afternoon tea"?

Here's a thread:

For those that don’t know one from the other,

https://www.thespruceeats.com/high-tea-vs-afternoon-tea-765832

22 minutes ago, Lemorvan said:

For those that don’t know one from the other,

https://www.thespruceeats.com/high-tea-vs-afternoon-tea-765832

I was always taught that you need cutlery (silverware) for High Tea but Afternoon Tea can be eaten with fingers (apart from something to add the cream and jam to the scones of course, but let's not open up that debate). 

We enjoyed  an afternoon Tea in Quebec at the Hotel Frontenac.. mostly ladies from our roll call while  the guys wandered the battlefields.

It was very well done..

Res are needed..hope they are still doing it.

HAL still offers afternoon tea daily, and they do it well.  They actually bring around brewed PG Tips (my fave) and have the 3-tier trays waiting on every table when you arrive.  Lovely little sandwiches and tasty scones and other sweets.

I used to go to tea on Carnival but gave up because they were not good at it.  I'm a bit surprised that Carnival still offers it on sea days but X doesn't.

I was disappointed to see that Virgin's afternoon tea was a fee-added occasion, but it seemed very well attended whenever I passed by and the goods looked inviting.  But I'm too cheap to pay for snacks and I don't really need those extra afternoon calories.

Anyway, I'll look for afternoon tea when I sail X again (side-to-side Reflection followed by Beyond, followed by HAL Nieuw Amsterdam) in November.

• Like 1

Al Bacio has started adding tea sandwiches to their offerings in the afternoon for those wanting an afternoon tea with small sandwich and dessert. Hope they will also include scones but I haven't heard about that yet.

13 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

I’m on Apex now. They have snacks in the buffet between 4-5. I don’t know what they have I haven’t looked but can go by and check 

Thank you.  The Apex will be our first Celebrity cruise. We were on Symphony on the western med cruise during summer of 22.

On 7/24/2024 at 6:04 AM, chemmo said:

I also remember when butlers used to come around with the afternoon tea trolley at 4.30pm. It was nice to have a light bite and a hot cup of tea with lemon…It was also a great time for the butler to ‘touch base’ with guests checking everything was going OK.

There are other cruise lines that still do this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, comfy_critters said:

Al Bacio has started adding tea sandwiches to their offerings in the afternoon for those wanting an afternoon tea with small sandwich and dessert. Hope they will also include scones but I haven't heard about that yet.

good to know!  nice idea but  it may make it more crowded.. we enjoy quiet tea time there! card players should be sent to the card rm ..or another area on E Class..

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 11:57 AM, NCTribeFan said:

HAL still offers afternoon tea daily, and they do it well.  They actually bring around brewed PG Tips (my fave) and have the 3-tier trays waiting on every table when you arrive.  Lovely little sandwiches and tasty scones and other sweets.

I used to go to tea on Carnival but gave up because they were not good at it.  I'm a bit surprised that Carnival still offers it on sea days but X doesn't.

I was disappointed to see that Virgin's afternoon tea was a fee-added occasion, but it seemed very well attended whenever I passed by and the goods looked inviting.  But I'm too cheap to pay for snacks and I don't really need those extra afternoon calories.

Anyway, I'll look for afternoon tea when I sail X again (side-to-side Reflection followed by Beyond, followed by HAL Nieuw Amsterdam) in November.

We also encountered an afternoon tea on a Oceania transatlantic. Trolleys came around with the offerings. Not as impressive as Cunard, lower quality food than HAL and Cunard.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 5:35 PM, canderson said:

Ah, and there's always afternoon tea in the retreat lounge, but I've come to understand here at CC that it's usually not quite as nice as it can be on the older ships.

Afternoon tea on all ships is not as nice as it use to be with cart service at your door in the afternoon.    On revolutionized ships they now have the sandwiches, scones and sweets on the hot/cold table .... they do have butlers available to serve the tea.  Problem is many of the tables with Kelly's design will not hold a pot of tea and two small plates... hmmm...

On non- revolutionized ships  they offer table service and if I recall they actually may bring selections to your table but also have a paper menu -- I think you tell them what you want instead of having an elegant tiered serving tower brought to your table.  

Those days are gone on celebrity along with other cutbacks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

We also encountered an afternoon tea on a Oceania transatlantic. Trolleys came around with the offerings. Not as impressive as Cunard, lower quality food than HAL and Cunard.

Can't wait --- I'm taking our first cruise on both Cunard and Oceania this fall.  We have also booked the Tea at Empress Hotel in Vancouver which I hear is fantastic.

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Can't wait --- I'm taking our first cruise on both Cunard and Oceania this fall.  We have also booked the Tea at Empress Hotel in Vancouver which I hear is fantastic.

Try the truly 'local' honey on a scone!  Not traditional, but...

Just now, canderson said:

Try the truly 'local' honey on a scone!  Not traditional, but...

That would be interesting.... heck with tradition if it tastes good.