Dressed casual on formal nights

I have read that passengers have been removed from cruise ships and have been banned for life for bringing CBD products onboard. CBP possession is a serious infraction on cruise ships. 
Try to read as much as you can of the Terms and Conditions before you book and read the Passage Contract before your board. Ask questions for anything you don’t understand. 
FYI - There have been posters on this site who do like to stir up things with dress code comments and glad you’re not one of them. Even I’m guilty of stirring up some dust up here and there!

• Like 5

It may that Cunard is not line for the OP. Some of the smaller luxury lines encourage ‘country club casual’  and that might suit him more?

2 hours ago, NightGuardianAngel said:

Cunard and Disney are too different cruise lines and I heard of passengers getting kicked off at port of calls for the most innocent honest mistakes or extremely minor infractions that is not even a violation of any government laws (it takes very very little to get kicked out and banned).

I can't comment about Disney, but on Cunard it has to be pretty serious for that to happen. In addition to the smoking issue upthread, I've been aware of only one other couple asked to leave, for reasons I don't fully understand, and that is out of hundreds of thousand passengers that I've been on board with over the years. It's pretty rare, compared to say aircraft. In the case of Cunard there seems to be some sort of escalation process, so something like a "yellow card" letter from the company, requiring you to stop smoking (or whatever) before they go red card on a passenger. It would not happen due to some minor infraction, and certainly not if someone was unaware of something.

And it won't be for the dress code, and if you keep to the buffet area and Golden Lion on Gala night that's fully within the dress code anyway. If I had to guess, apart from smoking I would suspect the two main areas for this are excessive drinking leading to a nuisance situation; and throwing trash off balconies - this gets caught on camera and Cunard takes that very, very seriously.

I'm familiar with autism, both personally and as a medic. One thing for you to consider is investigating QM2. For a number of reasons - size, lack of noise, spaciousness, history, wall panels, scheduling, entertainment and insight options, it may be the sort of ship that works for you, perhaps a bit more than the other Cunard ships. Southampton for sure knows about the sunflower lanyard, and it wouldn't be a problem wearing it onboard, though I've only seen that once.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

but you may be asked to leave some formal venues if you don't comply with the stated evening dress code after 6pm

But equally you may not be asked to leave, based on our (and, seemingly, others') recent experience (including four voyages so far this year), and based on what we've been told by current bar staff, who have apparently been told to "let it go" rather than continue to challenge guests not adhering to the dress code.

• Like 1

All cruise lines must accept passenger who, for whatever reason, do not wear formal wear on formal nights. I always dressed formally when required, but my last couple of cruises I couldn't be bothered, One was on Cunard QE where we ate every night in the Lido self service restaurant and the other was on a P & O cruise where we did the same thing. However on Cunard I did wear a jacket, no tie, and we did go into the ballroom with no one objecting. On P & O where they are not so strict I did not wear a jacket and on one night was refused entry to one of the bars. So yes, quite rightly as the OP says all cruise lines differ.

21 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

All cruise lines must accept passenger who, for whatever reason, do not wear formal wear on formal nights.

Really? Is this some new "right" or "law".... last time I looked going on a cruise was a choice not a right and complying with the standards on board is an obligation that comes with the passage contract. 

• Like 5

I would imagine if I were on a longer voyage (my longest time onboard is 12 nights) I’d like to take a break from the dress code now and then and order room service and hang out in the pub. That’s why there are areas around the ship for those who want to abide by the dress code or for those who want to dress casually. The real issue seems to be Cunard’s enforcement, or lack, of the “we ask you to observe” dress code. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, NE John said:

The real issue seems to be Cunard’s enforcement, or lack, of the “we ask you to observe” dress code. 

Not just Cunard but, in my experience, all cruise lines.

I imagine that if I was on a twelve night voyage I might not suffer homesickness as badly as I do with fourteen nights. However I can't think of anything more appealing than 100+ nights of a world voyage dressed formally if I didn't have cats and lived somewhere like the UK, especially it's northern regions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Really? Is this some new "right" or "law".... last time I looked going on a cruise was a choice not a right and complying with the standards on board is an obligation that comes with the passage contract. 

The choice is for the individual not the cruise line, I have been on more that 50 cruises and there is always always someone on board that chooses not to dress formally as I have stated I have on more than one cruise. Next time you are on a cruise check out how many do not want to dress up, you will be surprised by the number, it is not an obligation it is a choice.

1 minute ago, ovccruiser said:

The choice is for the individual not the cruise line, I have been on more that 50 cruises and there is always always someone on board that chooses not to dress formally as I have stated I have on more than one cruise. Next time you are on a cruise check out how many do not want to dress up, you will be surprised by the number, it is not an obligation it is a choice.

But having made that choice, it behoves you to keep out of certain areas, I rather think. What I’ve never understood, and this may be because I am female and a dress is a dress, is why it is more bother to dress formally than not, if one is dressing at all.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

The choice is for the individual not the cruise line,

So I guess if you chose not to wear a shirt or shoes indoors on a cruise ship or airplane or restaurant, it's all  YOU... your choice, too.  You could, I suppose, say it's your choice not to go through a scanner to embark. Or attend a boat drill.  

It is not a choice when a venue has a stated dress code and you purchase access to said venue.  Again, no one is forced to go on Cunard or any cruise line but by doing so, it is about joining what is, by definition, a community.  It's not all about YOU. "MY" vacation is staying at home... when you chose to share it with others, others matter.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

The choice is for the individual not the cruise line, I have been on more that 50 cruises and there is always always someone on board that chooses not to dress formally as I have stated I have on more than one cruise.

Having made your choice to not dress formally did you still expect to have full access to all parts of the ship?

As I see it, it is not so much what someone is wearing, but whether or not a person dressed casually should reasonably expect to be able to go into all of the public areas on the ship.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There are so few places that welcome and encourage “dress up” anymore and I am happy that Cunard does at least encourage SA and Gala night appropriate dress. I too hear from younger folk that they would love to go onboard a ship and get dressed up because they don’t have many opportunities to do so. Anywhere. This is why I am confused why prospective and current pax of Cunard would want to find ways to skirt the dress code. There are plenty of other cruise lines and land resorts that don’t encourage a dress code. That’s why it’s good to have choices. Even on a Cunard ship there are plenty of choices of venues to enjoy yourself if you want to be casual. Like I said, if I go on a multi-week Cunard voyage I may welcome a break now and then from the DC. Maybe not, but it’s nice to have a choice. 
I am also confused why Cunard is damaging one of its great assets (the self-proclaimed after 6pm “sense of occasion”) when they ignore poor behavior and ignore enforcement of the dress code. To me, I’m not sensing much of an occasion if I see others in the MDR, QR, CC, or theater dressed in jeans and a polo shirt.  Maybe I’m just confused…

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, NE John said:

There are so few places that welcome and encourage “dress up” anymore and I am happy that Cunard does at least encourage SA and Gala night appropriate dress. I too hear from younger folk that they would love to go onboard a ship and get dressed up because they don’t have many opportunities to do so. Anywhere. This is why I am confused why prospective and current pax of Cunard would want to find ways to skirt the dress code. There are plenty of other cruise lines and land resorts that don’t encourage a dress code. That’s why it’s good to have choices. Even on a Cunard ship there are plenty of choices of venues to enjoy yourself if you want to be casual. Like I said, if I go on a multi-week Cunard voyage I may welcome a break now and then from the DC. Maybe not, but it’s nice to have a choice. 
I am also confused why Cunard is damaging one of its great assets (the self-proclaimed after 6pm “sense of occasion”) when they ignore poor behavior and ignore enforcement of the dress code. To me, I’m not sensing much of an occasion if I see others in the MDR, QR, CC, or theater dressed in jeans and a polo shirt.  Maybe I’m just confused…

I don't think you're confused, I think the problem is the wording on Cunard website as jeans and a polo shirt would fit the dress code stated on there, it should be clearer bullet points if this is such a concern for some passengers. 

Also, is the enforcement of dress code in certain venues. It's enforced, or it's not. That's on Cunard, not the passengers. 

We've booked Cunard knowing full well what the dress code is and where, and where it isn't, applicable.

Regardless of that, as has been pointed out, people will always flout the dress code irrespective of cruise line, wording or enforcement. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

All cruise lines must accept passenger who, for whatever reason, do not wear formal wear on formal nights.

Cunard, like many lines, provide venues for those not wanting to "dress up". But the above suggests there is some statutory "right" to do so. Nonsense. Indeed, the confusion of different codes for different areas did even exist until the 1990s or later. Or, back with the old First and Tourist Class system.  But there is no obligation on Cunard or line to accommodate, encourage or tolerate (I love that word... you never hear it anymore!) people who find dressing so distressing. Cunard does and very specifically list where you may and may not.  Yet selfish people still flout, and deliberately, the code, even in its diminished state. The Slob Snobs want it all. 

The concensus here is that Cunard needs to do a much better job explaining and enforcing. My point is they rather just take the money and not bother one way or another. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I find people who wear the wrong clothes in the wrong place rather annoying, especially if it appears to be deliberate. But I am genuinely astonished that many people seem to find this more worrying than passengers being allowed to sit blocking the aisles in the theatre, something that could lead to death rather than aesthetic discomfort.

• Like 3

Spoke to Restaurant Manager tonight last Formal night of the cruise and is the Roaring Twenties. We have known him a few years from QM2 and he asked if we were fine and said yes are you OK. He clearly wasn't he said " what can you do when somebody comes to MDR on Formal night dressed in a T shirt and scruffy denim jeans". He was told he couldn't come in dressed like that and he flatly refused to move or get changed. So to avoid issue he was let in but Restaurant Manager wasn't happy but said what else could he do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It is clear that other lines are already reaping the benefit of once pure Cunarders now booking with lines where dress codes are adhered to, where there is happiness among both crew and passengers, and where more traditional cruise passengers are happy to be party to a set of codes that others around  them value the same way.  This is clearly now a loss to Cunard.  Yes, there are newcomers to Cunard - but whether they book repeatedly and remain loyal Cunard passengers will be interesting to see over time. As has been mentioned there are people across all ages who value being able to dress up nicely for the evening - and there are those who want to not do so whatever holiday they are on.  However some of the stories posted  in this forum as well as on the many groups on other social media are a very big negative for the large number of people who do like tradition (of all demographics).  Whether Cunard will come to see that their change in policy will be a drag on their revenue, or not, will be in the financial returns for the future years.  Cost cutting eventually leads to a product that is so undesirable that the resulting  loss of customers can sink a company.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ShipboardSteve said:

It is clear that other lines are already reaping the benefit of once pure Cunarders now booking with lines where dress codes are adhered to, where there is happiness among both crew and passengers, and where more traditional cruise passengers are happy to be party to a set of codes that others around  them value the same way.  This is clearly now a loss to Cunard.  Yes, there are newcomers to Cunard - but whether they book repeatedly and remain loyal Cunard passengers will be interesting to see over time. As has been mentioned there are people across all ages who value being able to dress up nicely for the evening - and there are those who want to not do so whatever holiday they are on.  However some of the stories posted  in this forum as well as on the many groups on other social media are a very big negative for the large number of people who do like tradition (of all demographics).  Whether Cunard will come to see that their change in policy will be a drag on their revenue, or not, will be in the financial returns for the future years.  Cost cutting eventually leads to a product that is so undesirable that the resulting  loss of customers can sink a company.

But they're clearly not, they've reported record breaking bookings following the launch of Queen Anne - across the fleet. 

• Like 2

It’s not clear to me who is booking what, other than Cunard ships sail pretty full.

I would love to see a spread sheet of the 'pure Cunarders' who are now booking with other lines.

As to ‘happy ships' I have banged on how QV is such a happy ship, and others have said the same about her sister. I’m sure QM2 era would say their dignified lady is pretty happy too.

Annie is too new to have a happy family.

As I have said many times, the comments on this forum are but a microscopic percentage of Cunard passengers and as I’m not on any other social media, I can’t be certain, but I would imagine the percentage there is pretty low.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Spoke to Restaurant Manager tonight last Formal night of the cruise and is the Roaring Twenties. We have known him a few years from QM2 and he asked if we were fine and said yes are you OK. He clearly wasn't he said " what can you do when somebody comes to MDR on Formal night dressed in a T shirt and scruffy denim jeans". He was told he couldn't come in dressed like that and he flatly refused to move or get changed. So to avoid issue he was let in but Restaurant Manager wasn't happy but said what else could he do.

That is despicable behavior, as it demonstrates the lack of respect and empathy for someone who is doing his best to serve people’s needs. I am glad we did not witness this. My husband tends to get vocally annoyed with people who regard those in service positions as beneath them.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Especially when they are wearing scruffy jeans and a T shirt.  

You can accuse me of being elitist all you want, but you know what, I liked steamship travel (back when it was called that, too) when it was considered special and had a certain cachet about it.  Now I am frankly ashamed to even tell people we are going on a cruise.  

Cruising is now for everyone. I started travelling by ship as a high school student and even at min student fare on FRANCE and QE2, we got scrubbed up for dinner. It was what made an ocean liner special. Now, a particular sort makes a statement about being an uncouth slob and yes, Cunard and other lines, are just as happy to take his or her money and look the other way.  And the local residents of Santorini are being told to stay indoors when the cruise ships arrive with 10,000 "cruisers". 

Times as we keep being told here are "changing". Oh boy... and how.  

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2024 at 2:20 AM, rog747 said:

LOL, course not, but if you want to stay casual on a Formal evening (after 6pm) you can eat in the buffet restaurants Lido/Kings Ct/Artisan,
but you cannot enter any bars/lounges or the theatre unless you are in Formal wear/or attired correctly. 

Actually if you are wearing shorts at the buffet after 5 they will politely ask you to change or order room service.  Happened to a friend on QM2 who thought he’d grab a quick bite before changing to go dancing.  

3 hours ago, ShipboardSteve said:

It is clear that other lines are already reaping the benefit of once pure Cunarders now booking with lines where dress codes are adhered to, where there is happiness among both crew and passengers, and where more traditional cruise passengers are happy to be party to a set of codes that others around  them value the same way. 

Check out the CC boards of Holland America, Princess, Celebrity etc and you’ll find a shipload of unhappy cruisers posting about falling standards, sloppy dress, drops in service, cutting of classical music, nickel and diming, unruly pax, etc. 

• Like 2