Activating your complimentary wifi

devolve

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, devolve said:

Can anyone tell me how we activate our complimentary Wi-Fi once onboard. Thanks

Do you mean the complimentary wifi you get as an internet credit because of your Cunard World Club status? If so, you purchase an internet package the same as if you did not have that internet credit. Your on board account is charged for that purchase and it is simultaneously credited up to the amount of internet credit you have. Cunard World Club members receive a $45 internet credit at the Gold level, $80 at the Platinum level and $135 at the Diamond level.

Those credits are per each individual member at those status levels. If there are two of you with Cunard World Club internet credits, those credits are only applied to internet plans each of you purchase separately. They can't be combined into one credit per cabin to be applied to a single internet plan purchase. Hope this helps.

Edit to add: You don't have to use your internet credit all at once with the purchase of a single internet plan. For example, you may choose to purchase several individual 24-hours plans during your voyage and any remaining internet credit you have will be applied to each of those purchases.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have an app on my iPad which takes me straight to the required registration page but if you type

internet.cunard.com

you will be directed to the registration page where you input the required info.

Purchasing an internet plan on board

To purchase an internet plan on board, connect your device to the Guest Wi-Fi, then open "internet.cunard.com" in the browser and follow the registration instructions. Once registered, you can select your preferred internet plan. Purchases will be charged to your on board account.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m presuming that you’re going to use the 1 hour free trial? You have to log into the my Cunard using guest WiFi in airplane mode, it needs some details such as last digits of cruise card and dob etc. That’s all free to do and you can scan the QR code that’s in your little cruise card holder. 
To use the internet go into the internet section on the webpage and the free option is the top one. We used this on both sea days, and logged in as me on the first sea day and as my husband on the second sea day so that we took full advantage of this! I set a timer for 55 minutes in order to log out in time and not get charged. However, I found that if you log out after say half an hour, it doesn’t allow you to log back in to use the remaining 30 minutes.

• Like 3

Is the WiFi the same charge whether we us our phones or perhaps the desktops in the library?

I’m reluctant to use my iPhone as the last time I used it on Cunard, I was hacked. Not blaming Cunard in any way but would like to avoid further trouble.

1 minute ago, Mudhen said:

Is the WiFi the same charge whether we us our phones or perhaps the desktops in the library?

I’m reluctant to use my iPhone as the last time I used it on Cunard, I was hacked. Not blaming Cunard in any way but would like to avoid further trouble.

Yes, you may purchase and use an internet plan at the same price on any device, whether it be your own or one of the desktops in the library (or in ConneXions on QM2). You use the same login credentials on any device to access your internet plan.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, devolve said:

Yes we have $80 each to use.

Thanks for the follow-up. Then you each have enough credit for 4.44 free days if you purchase the full voyage Essential Plan (at $18 per day). Or you each have 3.33 free days if you purchase individual 24-hour Essential Plans (at $24 per day).

If you are on a 7-night voyage, one strategy you might want to consider is to have one of you buy individual 24-hour Essential Plans for the first 3 days of your voyage to use up $72 of their $80 internet credit. Then the other could purchase the full voyage Essential Plan on day 4 for the remaining four days to use up $72 of their $80 internet credit.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Depending on the length of the cruise and what I need to do, I sometimes don't buy the full voyage until the third day or so. The price does go down by $18 per day that I wait. I don't know how long you can wait like that. I don't think I've ever bought the plan later than day 3.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I'm pretty sure you can wait as long as you want to purchase the Essential full voyage plan at $18 per day for the remaining days of the voyage. I can't say I've waited until the final day of the voyage, but there was one instance where I had enough remaining internet credit from previous purchases of 24-hour plans to purchase the full voyage plan on the second to last day of an 11-night voyage for $18 x 2 days = $36.

• Like 1

We are onboard for 14 nights, so I think we will purchase the essential plan on the sea days, four days each to stretch it out. I presume you can purchase on a daily basis.

1 minute ago, devolve said:

We are onboard for 14 nights, so I think we will purchase the essential plan on the sea days, four days each to stretch it out. I presume you can purchase on a daily basis.

You can and that’s what we do, utilising both credits.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, devolve said:

The other factor to bear in mind is that if buying on a daily basis, this gives precisely 24 hours of service to the minute. It ignores time zone changes, so that can be 23 or 25 hours by the clock.  So one thing you can do is say buy the package 11:00 hrs on morning 1, this runs out 11:00 hrs on morning 2. Then have a few hours offline, do all the things Cunard offers, and then go back online at say 16:00 hrs on afternoon 2.  Rinse and repeat and you'll probably only need 3 daily purchases to cover 5 or 6 days, even more so if you have port days where there may be other options.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 2

Hi, 

I am booked on the Queen Anne's Maiden World Cruise (98 days from New York to Southampton). This will be my first very long cruise. As a World Club Diamond member, I should receive the $135 credit. Of course, the total internet charge will be very high for such a long cruise. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for purchasing the internet for a long cruise?

Thanks,

Chuck

6 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

I am booked on the Queen Anne's Maiden World Cruise (98 days from New York to Southampton). This will be my first very long cruise. As a World Club Diamond member, I should receive the $135 credit. Of course, the total internet charge will be very high for such a long cruise. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for purchasing the internet for a long cruise?

Thanks,

Chuck

I thought the credit was renewed every sector?

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I thought the credit was renewed every sector?

It is. Each Diamond benefit refreshes. Discussed this with Chris Foy a week or two ago. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, devolve said:

If you book your complimentary Wi-Fi by the 24 hours it’s $24 instead of $18 so loosing out on a day. Another cut back by Cunard.

That has been the position for ages, probably since they started this new system of buying 24 hours at a time. But you are saving by not wasting money on days when you are not aboard.

• Like 2