Which one is best?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Even though someone suggested the Iceland/Norway cruise, we really prefer the Under the Midnight Sun ports. That would give us two days in London, in addition to possibly a couple pre or post cruise. 

Cruising out of Greenwich does have the advantage of a tour of the town. You can spend a whole day there visiting the Royal Observatory, Maritime Museum, and the Cutty Sark.

IMG_2985.thumb.jpeg.1c050ff0ed22b548fd3040f37dc22220.jpeg

IMG_3018.thumb.jpeg.40423bd956b3a1759e08f07393ebb007.jpeg

IMG_2969.thumb.jpeg.b8e3eba06a453fe4214654d5c8ebca22.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

5 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Even though someone suggested the Iceland/Norway cruise, we really prefer the Under the Midnight Sun ports. That would give us two days in London, in addition to possibly a couple pre or post cruise. 

Check and see where in “London” you port.  If Greenwich then there is lots to see and you’re a an hour mass transit ride or 34 minutes in a car away from Central London.  But if it’s Tillbury, you’re a two hour ride or an hour in a car to central London. 

I have done cruise #4 Norway and Iceland sailing from Bergen to Reykjavik. It cruises the amazing Norwegian fjords Sognefjord to Flam and Geirangerfjord (UNESCO) as well as Iceland. I did this August 2022to replace a Norway intensive cruise that was cancelled due to Covid and wanted those two fjords. It was an amazing cruise and I found cruising into the ports in Iceland beautiful as well. The including excursion in Flam and Gieranger for fantastic. I did my own arrangement for the RT train from Flam to Myrdal and it was just another wonderful excursion.  It was my first VOC and since it was just as cruising was restarting post post Covid restrictions, we booked all Viking excursions in Iceland. I did an Oceania British isles cruise last August. I enjoyed some of our ports and excursions esp Kirkwall, but there is really no comparison if it is fjords and scenic beauty you wish. I have been to England Ireland and Scotland (not cruises) as well 2 weeks in London in the past so London is not a draw for me. This March, I did  another Norway VOC In Search of the Northern Lights  London to Bergen. It was the magnificent as we had fantastic weather cruising along the Norwegian coast to Narvik, Tromso and Alta. Saw the northern lights four times and enjoyed great experiences on our excursions.  Happy cruising whatever choice you make. 

Just now, Clay Clayton said:

Check and see where in “London” you port.  If Greenwich then there is lots to see and you’re a an hour mass transit ride or 34 minutes in a car away from Central London.  But if it’s Tillbury, you’re a two hour ride or an hour in a car to central London. 

We ended up booking with Princess to Alaska instead.  

If you want a certain date or route, booking early may be your choice. You can save by waiting and booking when there is an attractive promo. Before retiring, I was restricted to certain dates.  Since retiring, I can be flexible. Now  I seldom plan or book anything way ahead.  I wait for a promo.  If I see something attractive, I may book.  2 months usually works well.  Less than a month is ok if you don’t want Viking air.  I also book other cruise lines.  Competition can land you a good deal.  

• Like 3

when I see all the great last minute fares that Viking is beginning to post, we are thinking that this maybe how we pick cruises in the futures , since we have done or scheduled the primary bucket list adventures!  Only drawback will be getting needed visas if it is a last minute cruise.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, deec said:

when I see all the great last minute fares that Viking is beginning to post, we are thinking that this maybe how we pick cruises in the futures , since we have done or scheduled the primary bucket list adventures!  Only drawback will be getting needed visas if it is a last minute cruise.

Dee - we were thinking exactly the same thing!!

We've both been on so many itineraries, maybe we should wait and just see what great deals come up at the last minute!   (not requiring the VISA's 🙂  )

Hoping your summer is going well up north!

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 10:57 AM, deec said:

On 7/26/2024 at 9:19 PM, CCWineLover said:

Dee - we were thinking exactly the same thing!!

We've both been on so many itineraries, maybe we should wait and just see what great deals come up at the last minute!   (not requiring the VISA's 🙂  )

Hoping your summer is going well up north!

Welcome to the last minute club!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We have summer and fall in 2025 already booked with fairly long cruises.  This will be our plan going forward perhaps.  Clay I think you booked WC fairly last minute did you have issues with VISAs?  As I remember for our WC even with help of GenVisa it took considerable time to complete them...are most of them now online?

I am going to keep an watchful eye for the longitudinal WC that includes NUUK!  of course I will buy the occasional lottery ticket too!

4 hours ago, deec said:

We have summer and fall in 2025 already booked with fairly long cruises.  This will be our plan going forward perhaps.  Clay I think you booked WC fairly last minute did you have issues with VISAs?  As I remember for our WC even with help of GenVisa it took considerable time to complete them...are most of them now online?

I am going to keep an watchful eye for the longitudinal WC that includes NUUK!  of course I will buy the occasional lottery ticket too!

We booked on August 23rd and as I recall, GenVisa’s deadline was in October for those of us boarding in Los Angeles.  So no issue there.  We also were ahead of excursions opening though we did have to hurry to figure out what we wanted to book when it became time (late September?). If you hear of a deal on the longitudinal, let me know!   We are currently looking at either the Toronto-Fort Lauderdale or the Lauderdale to Santiago segments as at around $5000 for $15 to 18 days, they seem like a deal.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deec said:

I am going to keep a watchful eye for the longitudinal WC that includes NUUK!  of course I will buy the occasional lottery ticket too!

We were in Fiji when the email came for our visas for the WC.  We were leaving from FL, so about 2 weeks before those boarding in LA.  We returned, got all the paperwork and pics done and submitted the first week of Oct.  We received our passports back about 10 days before leaving from FL.  I was wishing I had paid for expediting, I had heartburn waiting for them to return to us!

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2024 at 1:47 PM, Mich3554 said:

We were in Fiji when the email came for our visas for the WC.  We were leaving from FL, so about 2 weeks before those boarding in LA.  We returned, got all the paperwork and pics done and submitted the first week of Oct.  We received our passports back about 10 days before leaving from FL.  I was wishing I had paid for expediting, I had heartburn waiting for them to return to us!

We're about to pull the trigger on WC 2026.  Does the cruise fare include the cost of any required visas?

8 minutes ago, zelker said:

We're about to pull the trigger on WC 2026.  Does the cruise fare include the cost of any required visas?

Most but not all.  Some require you to do them yourself online.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zelker said:

For the 22-23 WC, it did.  We have booked the 25-26 WC and are assuming we will be paying for a few.