TA stop in Southampton, doing a day trip to Winchester

Judyrem

I know many people will be disembarking in Southampton but we are continuing on to Hamburg.

Will there be an issue for us trying to reach the train for our tour to Winchester?  The tour begins at 10:30.

In theory there should not be any problems but (there is always a but) a lot will depend on conditions on the day.

Two questions that may have a affect:

1. Is this one continuous cruise or a b2b? If b2b then there may be a problem getting your new cruise card.

2. Which cruise terminal are you due to arrive at?

The train journey from Southampton to Winchester is less than half an hour (15 minutes on some services). Getting to the station may pose a problem if using a taxi as many/most taxis will be moving disembarking passengers - taxi journey around 10 minutes if no traffic. Walking to the station will be dependant upon which terminal you are arriving into but worst case scenario would be QEll which is a good 45 minutes walk.

Best scenario from getting off the ship to Winchester would be an hour - worst case, anything upwards of an hour.

• Thanks 1

What I suggest you do is get chatting to some of your guests at dinner and elsewhere, and see if you can get 4 people together to take a Uber or taxi to Winchester. It's probably Ok to get a train back. The Uber rate today is £25 to £30, so per person that's cost effective. And I would be a fan of using the train to Southampton, virtually all my Southampton arrivals and departures involve a train at some point, even if it is only to Southampton Airport.

Normally a TA going on to HAM will allow the first people off at 07:00 hrs or so.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

What I suggest you do is get chatting to some of your guests at dinner and elsewhere, and see if you can get 4 people together to take a Uber or taxi to Winchester. It's probably Ok to get a train back. The Uber rate today is £25 to £30, so per person that's cost effective. And I would be a fan of using the train to Southampton, virtually all my Southampton arrivals and departures involve a train at some point, even if it is only to Southampton Airport.

Normally a TA going on to HAM will allow the first people off at 07:00 hrs or so.

I already booked my train but your suggestion is an excellent one!  I love your trains.

We will take a taxi or Uber to the train station.  It will also be on a Sunday, if that makes a difference?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I love your trains.

You can have them all if you want😂

36 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

It will also be on a Sunday, if that makes a difference?

It will depend on what else is going in Southampton on that day and how many other ships are in port on the same day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, david63 said:

You can have them all if you want😂

Can you send them to France please? Maybe include the drivers and management.

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, D&N said:

Can you send them to France please? Maybe include the drivers and management.

UK residents seem to assume their railways are uniquely dreadful. And yet, on listening to residents of France (particularly away from TGV lines) and Germany, it rapidly becomes clear this is not so. And, perhaps unusually, I have never been in a train in Switzerland that didn’t have some sort of problems, although admittedly the last journey was some time ago now. 

• Like 2

I have never had a problem getting a taxi when disembarking. I always need one to take me to where my car is parked. There are so many circulating about. When are you going and I can then tell you what else my be going on. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I have never had a problem getting a taxi when disembarking. I always need one to take me to where my car is parked. There are so many circulating about. When are you going and I can then tell you what else my be going on. 

We arrive in Southampton Sunday August 4 heading to Winchester, I have been before with my husband quite a few years ago, but I will look forward to a tour!  We just sort of wandered around saw the Cathedral had lunch and left.

It was a day trip from London.

I wanted to do a Highclere castle tour with my friend, but it seems too risky time wise.

Edited by Judyrem

5 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

We arrive in Southampton Sunday August 4 heading to Winchester, I have been before with my husband quite a few years ago, but I will look forward to a tour!  We just sort of wandered around saw the Cathedral had lunch and left.

Also in port on 4th is P & O Arvia and Norwegian Prima. Still should have no problem with a taxi. I haven’t been to Winchester for years but it is a lovely city. It is only a short ride to the railway station and should cost you less than £10. In June I had to pay a surcharge as it was a Sunday so don’t be surprised if what the price the  meter says is increased. Most taxis will take contactless cards too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2024 at 10:49 PM, Judyrem said:

I wanted to do a Highclere castle tour with my friend, but it seems too risky time wise.

Highclere is definitely too risky. It's in the middle of nowhere so you would need to hire a car. You might be able to get a taxi/uber there but might ot get one back.

BTW You need to allow about 10 minutes at least to walk from the railway station at Winchester to the town centre, assuming the tour will start at the Guildhall.

On 7/25/2024 at 10:49 PM, Judyrem said:

How about Salisbury if it's an easier trip? I was blown away by the cathedral and the city. Read Edward Rutherfurd's Sarum first.

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

How about Salisbury if it's an easier trip? I was blown away by the cathedral and the city. Read Edward Rutherfurd's Sarum first.

I agree Salisbury is beautiful the cathedral is even more stunning and famous. 

• Like 1

Salisbury is a beautiful city but the journey is not by main line train and not so well served as Winchester. Stick to Winchester. Definitely get a Taxi to the train station on the outward trip.

For others reading this consider going to a quaint New Forest village -  Brockenhurst. Soak up the atmosphere and have a coffee or tea and cakes. It is on the Southampton main train line - about 20 minutes and better served than Winchester.

Remember to get off at Southampton an the way back or you might end up at Waterloo!

Pretty good service from Soton to Salisbury, with two trains an hour. Salisbury much nicer city, with slightly more beautiful cathedral, and, best of all, the walk back to the station is not steep and up hill.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hampshirelad said:

Salisbury is a beautiful city but the journey is not by main line train and not so well served as Winchester. Stick to Winchester. Definitely get a Taxi to the train station on the outward trip.

For others reading this consider going to a quaint New Forest village -  Brockenhurst. Soak up the atmosphere and have a coffee or tea and cakes. It is on the Southampton main train line - about 20 minutes and better served than Winchester.

Remember to get off at Southampton a the way back or you might end up at Waterloo!

What sort of line is it then. Looks like a main line when I have used it. ? Frequent to Salisbury too . 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

What sort of line is it then

Probably referring to it being shown as a thin rather than bold line on the South Western network map, with the half hour service shared between South Western and Great Western (might need to watch ticket validity). The routes to and from London are shown in bold.

12 hours ago, D&N said:

Probably referring to it being shown as a thin rather than bold line on the South Western network map, with the half hour service shared between South Western and Great Western (might need to watch ticket validity). The routes to and from London are shown in bold.

As someone who travels regularly on the service I would call it main line and yes you are correct the tickets are not interchangeable between South Western and Great Western but frequently with the problems recently on trains in S W England, announce they will be accepting each other’s tickets but this is usually on a specific train/ service basis on the day. 

• Like 1

I think that there is some confusion here around the term "main line".

The actual track will almost certainly be main line but it is then a question of the type of train running on that line.

We live within 100 metres of the West Coast main line where there are intercity trains running as well as local trains - so the definition, in this case, probably relates to the type of train.

• Like 1

As someone who lives in the area I would say that if you want to do some short day exploring you are safer using the trains which run on the line which |I would simply describe as being between Bournemouth and Waterloo. This gives you the best access to Winchester and according to taste Brockenhurst. If you come to the UK on flights then if you have some wriggle room pre cruise give Winchester a try.

Do bear in mind that on the motorways and especially around Heathrow and Gatwick you have a range of protestors who are not shy about bringing traffic to a standstill. There have been upgrades on the M25 between Gatwick and the M3 junction 12. for Southampton. There are advertised weekend closures when this happens..

I am sure there will be other local opinions , but as Cruise companies display little or no flexibility when you have a problem its best to play it safe 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hampshirelad said:

As someone who lives in the area I would say that if you want to do some short day exploring you are safer using the trains which run on the line which |I would simply describe as being between Bournemouth and Waterloo. This gives you the best access to Winchester and according to taste Brockenhurst. If you come to the UK on flights then if you have some wriggle room pre cruise give Winchester a try.

Do bear in mind that on the motorways and especially around Heathrow and Gatwick you have a range of protestors who are not shy about bringing traffic to a standstill. There have been upgrades on the M25 between Gatwick and the M3 junction 12. for Southampton. There are advertised weekend closures when this happens..

I am sure there will be other local opinions , but as Cruise companies display little or no flexibility when you have a problem its best to play it safe 

Totally agree. Don’t go too far better still book a Cunard excursion for complete piece of mind they do day excursions for in

intransit guests